Chance Harper
    Chance Harper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wimbledon Finals - Federer vs. Nadal; Serena vs. Venus

Wimbledon Finals - Federer vs. Nadal; Serena vs. Venus

Roger Federer has been the top ranked player on the men's tour for over four years, with his rival Rafael Nadal playing the role of Avis in the No. 2 slot for three years. Will Nadal finally get the best of Federer and end his five-year run at the All England Club? And which sister will prevail in the women's bracket Saturday when Venus and Serena Williams meet on the grass for a third time?

The betting odds for the Wimbledon finals suggest history will repeat itself on Centre Court.
    Federer, Nadal matched again in Wimbledon Finals

Roger Federer is a -150 chalk to beat Rafael Nadal (+110) for the third straight year in Sunday’s championship match. Both men breezed through the earlier rounds; Federer has yet to drop a set, while Nadal needed four sets to beat No. 48 Ernests Gulbis in the second round, but is otherwise unscathed.

If Nadal beats Federer this Sunday, there will be a tectonic shift in the tennis world. Federer has been the No. 1 player on the men’s tour since February of 2004. Nadal has been No. 2 since July 2005, after he first beat Federer at the French Open. Their rivalry since then has dominated the men’s draw; however, it’s reached something of a stalemate.

Nadal is without question the top clay-court player in the world – perhaps in the history of the sport. He’s 155-14 on the dirt and 9-1 lifetime against Federer, beating his rival in each of the last three French Open finals. But Federer is the undisputed king of the grass courts. He’s 75-11 on the faster surface and 65-0 over the past five years, winning five consecutive Wimbledon championships – the last two over Nadal.

Tennis fans are getting a bit tired of this act. The buzz is behind Nadal; the Mallorcan native has the “sexier” style of the two players, attacking with zeal and intensity. Federer is a machine by comparison. He intentionally eases off on his serve for maximum efficiency, and he covers the court like a skilled snooker player, mastering every angle and hitting flawless returns. Federer is still very much a fan favorite, but the question on everyone’s mind is whether Nadal can finally put an end to his reign at Wimbledon.

They could get what they want on Sunday. Last year’s final went an epic five sets: 7-6(7), 4-6, 7-6(3), 2-6, 6-2. Nadal has continued to work on his game since then to make it more suited to all surfaces, and Federer is coming off a relatively poor start to the season, winning just two of the 10 tournaments he’s entered thus far. But only one of those was on grass; Federer breezed through his Wimbledon “warm-up” event in Germany last month. Nadal won his warm-up in London, but not without some difficulty. He’ll encounter even more turbulence at Centre Court.

The clash in styles won’t be as pronounced in the women’s draw, where defending and four-time champion Venus Williams meets two-time winner and younger sister Serena Williams on Saturday. This will also be the third time they’ve met in the finals; Serena took the first two meetings in 2002 and 2003, when both sisters were at the top of the tennis world. Five years later, Serena remains the favorite at -130; Venus is even money to defend her championship.

Although Serena has gotten the better of Venus at SW19, a lot has changed in five years. Both players have lost a step to age; worse, Serena has suffered knee and ankle injuries, while Venus has had recurring problems with anemia as well as her wrists. The grass courts at the All England Club are more forgiving for older players; Venus’ powerful serve and long stride have aged gracefully at Wimbledon, where she won last year at age 27.

The larger issue on Saturday is whether time has changed the relationship between the sisters on the court. Their previous encounters were often tentative, with Venus in particular lacking the hunger to beat her younger sister. If their three-set battle in Bangalore this March is any indication, Saturday will be competitive. Serena won that match 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(4) on the hard court. Translating that result to grass tilts things in Venus’ favor; as the underdog, she has the value this time around.

ManOfValue
    ManOfValue's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

Am I wrong or does Venus give absolutely no effort when she's playing Serena...Its ridiculous..

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Take Serena and Federer and you will thank me later.

ManOfValue
    ManOfValue's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

I just love watching that fat Boody on Serena....

shock11
    shock11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Take Serena and Federer and you will thank me later.
    Thank you for what.

Good thing i never listen to anyone on here.

PS YOU are a COMPLETE IDIOT AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TENNIS

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

"But only one of those was on grass; Federer breezed through his Wimbledon “warm-up” event in Germany last month. Nadal won his warm-up in London, but not without some difficulty."

Not sure this is terribly fair. Federer won Halle yes, but the opposition there was pitiful. Nadal had to beat Roddick, Karlovic and Djokovic to win Queens, which is a surface way faster than Wimbledon (different grass). Karlovic is an ex-finalist, and served out of his skin (39 aces in 3 sets, one of the best serving displays I've ever seen) on a lightning fast court, and Nadal still won. Roddick has won Queens a bucketload of times, again because the surface suits his game. Djokovic was dispatched in straights.

Nadal winning Queens against those three is a massive accomplishment, and signals he's arrived as a true multi-surface player. Last year he came up against Mahut and got served off the court. This time he beats the two best servers in the game, and the world no3. That's how much he's improved, and barring Federer's absolute best (which hasn't been there since the Australian Open 2007 imo), Nadal is the more likely champion.

ps I say this as a huge Federer fan, but just trying to be realistic. His game has weakened, both because of the after effects of glandular fever around the New Year, and even before that as more technical errors crept in. The latter you have to blame on the lack of a coach.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by shock11 View Post
    Thank you for what.

Good thing i never listen to anyone on here.

PS YOU are a COMPLETE IDIOT AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TENNIS
    I know I'm an idiot you mother****er. You know nothing about any sport. This post was placed after the game started moron.