bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hey Mad

Any rugby plays for this weekend ?

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Haven't confirmed anything re: injuries etc and will probably wait to pull the trigger on these but here be my early leans:

Hurricanes to beat the Cats. I would expect quite easily too. Although i've just seen 20.5 points available. Hmmm, might not be enough surprisingly. This could be a slaughter.

Force should keep it competitive against the Chiefs. Maybe take points here +7.5 (centrebet.com.au) pinny only has +6.5. Force are a new team but should keep it close at home. Chiefs third week on the road with little success. Just returned from a tour of South Africa where they were beaten in all their games.

Although probably not to your liking, lay the points here with the Brumbies. Watched the Stormers last week and they're not very good, poor defensively and were lucky to score against the Waratahs. Got some lucky breaks last week and built a little momentum at home, couldn't hold on though and eventually went down by six points. Brumbies who would be serious championship contenders, should win this by more than 4 points (pinny), which is less than a try. Certainly wouldn't feel +4 are enough points here.

Crusaders should thump the Sharks. 23 points available but this could be another slaughter if the Crusaders feel like it. If you were a brave man you'd take the points in both this and the Hurricanes game and cross you're fingers. Would probably be the way to play the games but would take a large amount of intestinal fortitude. I'm not convinced yet but might chance my luck. Sharks have shown little defensively and up against this Crusaders team at home, that will spell trouble. I suppose they can only get better.

Reds vs Blues is quite a tough one to call. Everyone has expected a lot more from the Blues than they have shown to date. On the other hand the Reds have been competitive. I expect the Blues to get they're act together one of these days, if they do they could win here. But to date that has not been the case. Under these circumstances i certainly couldn't recommend the Blues, so take the home team and the points. Might wait to see how the rest of the week develops re: injuries etc.

Another tough game to call, Bulls vs Waratahs. Bulls are South Africas best team and are playing at home. The Waratahs are no slouches either though. Bulls lost narrowly last week to the Brumbies but showed little offensively against a good Brumbies defence. All the Bulls points were scored from kicks, no tries. The Brumbies won on the last play of the game. No line yet so it's hard to say but i'd lean towards the home team again here just because i believe the Brumbies to be playing better rugby and they barely beat them (Bulls). The Waratahs eventually beat the Stormers last week but i think they'll find the Bulls to be much tougher opposition. Take the points if available or a play on the home team ML.

Another tough game, Highlanders vs Cheetahs. Would have thought the Highlanders are the better team but on the road and in South Africa, you just never know. Home teams tend to do very well in this comp as a rule. Cheetahs came from behind to win last week but that was against what was a poor defensive effort by a poor defensive team. Highlanders will be much tougher opposition and i would be surprised to see a Cheetahs win here, but you never know. However don't think 2.5 points will be enough. The Cheetahs will either win SU or get beaten. Won't be that close.

PS Just to let you know AFL pre-season comp starts this weekend. Won't bet it me thinks, well not with any confidence as some teams will care and others won't. Should be interesting to see though.
    Last edited by mad; 02-22-06 at 04:05 AM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanks bud,

i was just starting to look at these game for this weekend, and wanted to get your thoughts on them.