bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Odds To Win 2006 AFL Premiership

i know some of you guys out there have to bet on Aussie football. so, with that being said, whos gonna win it all next year. i myself feel Sydney +625 might be worth a shot.

2006 AFL Premiership Season:

To Win 2006 AFL Premiership
    Team To Win 2006 AFL Premiership

West Coast +400
    St. Kilda +410
    Sydney +625
    Adelaide +800
    Geelong +1058
    Brisbane +1380
    Port Adelaide +1289
    Western Bulldogs +1606
    Fremantle +2981
    Melbourne +2565
    Essendon +3225
    Richmond +2981
    Kangaroos +3544
    Collingwood +4684
    Hawthorn +5395
    Carlton +7623

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

St. Kilda +410 is a solid bet. They are stronger than West Coast IMO.

Port Adelaide +1289 is my darkhorse

bigboydan

Port Adelaide is truely a dark horse that shouldn't even be in the race ILL

Illusion

You should also consider Melbourne. They are very under rated.

bigboydan

Melbourne .... are you on crack ILL. theres no way they have a chance to win it this comming year.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    Melbourne .... are you on crack ILL. theres no way they have a chance to win it this comming year.
    Please explain why not.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

You two bet on this, I will sit back and watch. No way am I placing anything on this.

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Holy smokes fellas.
    Boys, i'm impressed with your AFL knowledge. Very impressed indeed. I'm a huge AFL fan, HUGE i tell ya. Here i was thinking all you fellas knew were hoops and pucks and bases and the like. Anyways, here's my take on the coming year:
    Sydney are champs. However it is very difficult, nye on impossible to go back to back. Very rarely done. Don't know if the Swans are that good. They were a little fortunate at times last year, but deserving champs nontheless.
    West Coast have a "power" midfield but little in the way of forwards, so they will probably struggle to score against top defences. That's probably the reason they lost this year. However if they can improve in this area they will be very hard to beat.
    The Saints, as Illusion illuded to would be the smart money. They have a young team and have come close the last few years. They can only benefit from this experience.
    The Crows (Adelaide) were minor round champs this year only to fail in the finals series. They are my team so i guess i am slightly bias but they have a fairly well balanced team. They should figure again this year, fingers crossed.
    Geelong have a young talented squad that was plaqued by injury this year and struggled a bit with form. If they fire this year they will also go close.
    Port adelaide are always tough. They really struggled last year as reigning champions but they do have some of the competition's best key players. Their is a query over the midfield as players were retired after last years performance. I wouldn't expect the same kind of performance from them again this year. I expect they will come back with the fire and passion of the Port teams of the past. If they are on song they have the capability to take all before them. That's a big IF, wait to see kinda situation.

The rest will surprise if they really do anything, but expect at least one or two surprises. Their always are acouple of teams that surprise and/or disappoint, but can't see any of them making that big a step. Western Bulldogs will improve again. Melbourne are a basket case so i'd steer clear until they display which Melbourne is showing up this year. Every second year they play well, then poorly the next, then play well again. Last year they fooled us all by playing well in the first hallf of the season only to play poorly in the second half. At least they keep you guessing.

bigboydan

very nice write up bud.

yes, i got into this sport just last season. but, just didn't really much on it at all. but, i too like this sport, from what i've watched so far.

Illusion

Nice write up mad. This is gonna be an interesting season.

bigboydan

mad, i sure hope you post your AFL plays this year. because, i'd love to hear your views on this sport

mad

Sure will boys, Aussie Rules is my sport. We'll make some scratch as well even if it kills me, LOL. Only 3 months till the start of the season. What's that about 100 or so sleeps, can't wait.

Illusion

Cool, thanks mad. I can hardly wait.

bigboydan

thats about the time i stop betting hoops and pucks. and start to focusing on bases. but, i might just play some AFL and tennis during the off time. so, i'm looking forward to talking AFL with you this year bro. because, not manny people like to wager on this sport.

bigboydan

ok guys, heres the updated odds on this one.

since were getting closer to the start, did anyone find any new info out there that might be of some use to the rest of us? if so, please share

West Coast +400
    St. Kilda +410
    Sydney +625
    Adelaide +800
    Geelong +1058
    Brisbane +1380
    Port Adelaide +1289
    Western Bulldogs +1650
    Fremantle +2983
    Melbourne +2566
    Essendon +3227
    Richmond +2983
    Kangaroos +3547
    Collingwood +4688
    Hawthorn +5401
    Carlton +7633

mad

Not much happening over here at the moment in relation to AFL. Bit to early still, next month and March will see some action with the preseason competition which is often a reasonable indicator. However here are some sites i use for capping AFL which i hope you'll get some use out of:

www.afl.com.au
    www.footywire.com.au
    www.allthestats.com
    www.injuryupdate.com.au

AFL.COM is the homepage for pretty much everything AFL. You'll find links here to listen to games on gameday. All the rest are pretty self explanatory, have a look around and you'll see.

bigboydan

thanks for the links bud, i have a few of them you mentioned above bookmarked already. but, i didn't have the footywire.com one.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bookmarked the links. Gracias.

Would you consider this a sport where the players always go all out?
    Those are the best for capping. (Worst are sports where players confuse games with practice sessions, like much of the NBA season).

mad

Well like most things that depends. You'll have some teams that'll act like a bunch of spoilt little fairies and capitulate, some will play hard and some major upsets. Best we can do is to identify teams that do this and avoid or design our play around this. Although you do have to be careful 'cos these sorts of teams are often trap games, no matter how you play it you always seem to get screwed -LOL.

As an interesting side note, favourites tend to win approx 75% of the time. This was apart from last year where we experienced a similarly unusual year in terms of results as the NFL this year. Strange how it happened in both sports in the same year but true nontheless.
    Last edited by mad; 02-08-06 at 10:30 PM.