2008 > 1992 > 1976 > 1960

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

Give me the '92 squad

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Gonna go with the redeem team just because all those guys were in their primes and Bird and Magic were basically bench players at that point. If Bird and Magic healthy, obviously Dream Team easily.

But you look at D Wade who came off the bench and led team USA in scoring and shot like 75% from the field--I think Wade is better than everyone on the dream team not named Jordan (considering magic and bird age).

Kobe was in his prime
    Lebron in prime
    Wade

Too much to handle

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Gonna go with the redeem team just because all those guys were in their primes and Bird and Magic were basically bench players at that point. If Bird and Magic healthy, obviously Dream Team easily.

But you look at D Wade who came off the bench and led team USA in scoring and shot like 75% from the field--I think Wade is better than everyone on the dream team not named Jordan (considering magic and bird age).

Kobe was in his prime
    Lebron in prime
    Wade

Too much to handle
    charles barkley led the dream time in scoring

did i see that in a trivia here or something???

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    charles barkley led the dream time in scoring

did i see that in a trivia here or something???
    Not sure who led Dream Team, was too young to remember anything from that Olympics. But I'll take D Wade over Charles Barkley as a player. More skilled. More of a force on both ends. Impossible to handle in his prime.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

I like the redeem team but i am not sure the dream team would go down easy

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Redeem team would struggle to get to 85 points in an actual game vs dream team

The eurostep and all the travelling James does wouldn't fly

I think James's physicality would pose a threat but noone on 08 squad is a better shooter than anyone on 92 squad

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11102

Magic Johnson was playing in 92 while hiv positive. Pretty remarkable

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    Magic Johnson was playing in 92 while hiv positive. Pretty remarkable
    Magic may have been HIV positive for 5+ years and playing. We'll never know....

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Redeem team would struggle to get to 85 points in an actual game vs dream team

The eurostep and all the travelling James does wouldn't fly

I think James's physicality would pose a threat but noone on 08 squad is a better shooter than anyone on 92 squad
    Eurostep is a legal move....It's 2 steps...I use it all the time. It's an evolution in the game.

PG: Cp3, D-will, J Kidd
    PG: Magic, Stockton

SG: Kobe, Wade
    SG: Jordan, Drexler

SF: James, Melo
    SF: Pippen, Mullin, Bird

PF: Bosh, Boozer
    PF: Barkley, Malone,

C: Dwight
    C: Robinson, Ewing

As you can see it's pretty dead even. The Dream team has better bigs, and the Redeem team is superior at the PG and SF positions considering ages and levels at the time of play. Most interesting matchup is obviously Wade Bryant/Jordan Drexler, the 4 best SGs of all time.

Lebron and Melo is way too much for Pippen and Bird and Mullin to handle. Melo is one of the best Olympic players I've ever seen, and I think it's due to the 3 pt line being a little closer. That's his spot. PG wise, I don't see Stockton or older Magic being able to chase around a prime Chris Paul. I think Paul is a better player for his career than Stockton.

Also I think Chris Bosh is highly underrated. If he never went to Miami to win 2 rings and go to 4 straight finals, he'd be averaging 23 and 10 every single year of his career for about 12 years. Great player, great big who can pick and pop and hit 3s in the olympics if needed.

There is always a good chance the dream team would win though because they have Michael Jordan, but with him and Kobe both in their primes at the time, I would say that is pretty much a wash.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

If the Dream Team plays serious they do not play with a point guards they go.

Drexler
    Jordan
    Pippen
    Barkley
    Robinson

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It would be a good game lean Jordans team

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

You are delusional if you think that Bosh, Boozer and Howard have any chance of stopping Barkley, Malone, Robinson and Ewing. The Redeem Team will be out-rebounded and out-hussled under the basket.

deltgen
    deltgen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4528

Eurostep is a legal move....It's 2 steps...I use it all the time. It's an evolution in the game.

As you can see it's pretty dead even. The Dream team has better bigs, and the Redeem team is superior at the PG and SF positions considering ages and levels at the time of play. Most interesting matchup is obviously Wade Bryant/Jordan Drexler, the 4 best SGs of all time.

Lebron and Melo is way too much for Pippen and Bird and Mullin to handle. Melo is one of the best Olympic players I've ever seen, and I think it's due to the 3 pt line being a little closer. That's his spot. PG wise, I don't see Stockton or older Magic being able to chase around a prime Chris Paul. I think Paul is a better player for his career than Stockton.

Also I think Chris Bosh is highly underrated. If he never went to Miami to win 2 rings and go to 4 straight finals, he'd be averaging 23 and 10 every single year of his career for about 12 years. Great player, great big who can pick and pop and hit 3s in the olympics if needed.

There is always a good chance the dream team would win though because they have Michael Jordan, but with him and Kobe both in their primes at the time, I would say that is pretty much a wash.
    Good post Goatmilk--this is a good way to see it, with the rosters listed by position. I do have some minor arguments with your matchup synopsis though. Pippen was a phenomenal defender--he would absolutely be able to check James, Anthony, and even Bryant and Wade. The 1992 team would be at a defensive disadvantage at PG but not quite the way you see it. Magic Johnson was never considered anything more than an average defender, so at no point in his career would he have locked down Paul, but Stockton was a bit underrated--he would be able to disrupt Paul and Kidd enough, and they would not be able to totally defend him, so I think that that position is much more of a push than you think. Would be a heck of a game.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    You are delusional if you think that Bosh, Boozer and Howard have any chance of stopping Barkley, Malone, Robinson and Ewing. The Redeem Team will be out-rebounded and out-hussled under the basket.
    I don't think they can stop those guys, but Howard won like 4 straight DPOYs. He was actually a great defender in his prime, unlike a Rudy Gobert, and also put his team on his back and took them to the finals. There's was a time we were talking about Dwight as one of the top 5 centers of all time. Chris Bosh, as I said, was 23 and 10 if he played as the first option on a team. I don't think he was that much worse that Barkley overall. Barkley was better yeah but not by that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by deltgen View Post

Good post Goatmilk--this is a good way to see it, with the rosters listed by position. I do have some minor arguments with your matchup synopsis though. Pippen was a phenomenal defender--he would absolutely be able to check James, Anthony, and even Bryant and Wade. The 1992 team would be at a defensive disadvantage at PG but not quite the way you see it. Magic Johnson was never considered anything more than an average defender, so at no point in his career would he have locked down Paul, but Stockton was a bit underrated--he would be able to disrupt Paul and Kidd enough, and they would not be able to totally defend him, so I think that that position is much more of a push than you think. Would be a heck of a game.
    Stockton was actually a good defender, I just think Paul at this time was the premier pg in the world. He was pretty much unstoppable, and he was barely a side piece for team USA behind Bryant James and Wade. Those are 2/3 best SGs of all time, and the best SF of all time, which is why I give them an edge. Pippen can contain James but all these players like Drexler Jordan James Bryant Wade can only be contained, never stopped. The 2012 team was probably equally good with KD Westbrook and Harden and basically just take out Wade and Bryant lost a step but was still the top player in the world probably after James.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Look at those rosters.

Original Dream Team & it's not even close

Hman

Stockton was actually a good defender, .

LOL you think?

Only the NBA's All-Time Steals leader and won't be broken for a long, long time

One of the only great players in all of sports who is still vastly underrated

All-Time steal AND assists.

Both sided of the ball.

We'll never see that in sports again.

kid dienamite
    kid dienamite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2937

Dream Team would win by double digits.

1. 1992 Dream team (the OG) all HOF's besides Laettner (avg margain 43.8 points)
    2. 1996 team (take out Jordan, Bird, & Magic & replace with Hakeem , Shaq, Reggie, Payton) (avg margain 31.7 points)
    3. 2012 team (struggled with Spain in Gold medal game, Lebron, Kobe, Westbrook, Paul, Melo, Durant, A. Davis) (avg margain 32.1 points)
    4. 2008 Redeem team (couldn't put Spain away in the gold medal game) (avg margain 27.8 points)
    Last edited by kid dienamite; 05-25-20 at 06:40 PM.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by kid dienamite View Post

1. 1992 Dream team (the OG) all HOF's besides Laettner (avg margain 43.8 points)
    2. 1996 team (take out Jordan, Bird, & Magic & replace with Hakeem , Shaq, Reggie, Payton) (avg margain 31.7 points)
    3. 2012 team (struggled with Spain in Gold medal game, Lebron, Kobe, Westbrook, Paul, Melo, Durant, A. Davis) (avg margain 32.1 points)
    4. 2008 Redeem team (couldn't put Spain away in the gold medal game) (avg margain 27.8 points)
    I haven’t given it enough thought to really say but wouldn’t it be fair to point out the rest of the world has gotten drastically better at basketball since the original dream team? I think that explains margin and overall difficulty much more so than simply saying that makes the ‘92 team superior. Don’t think the original dream team would cake walk over the rest of the world now days. It’s in large part thanks to them why the quality of basketball has risen globally.

Goat Milk

2dabank is right, there weren't really any international NBA players playing in 92. Look at who Jordan faced in the gold medal game. Croatia. Their best player was tony kukoc. Lol. Ricky Rubio by himself is better than Kukoc. Not to mention both Gasol brothers who are both 1st ballot hall of famers.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    Look at those rosters.

Original Dream Team & it's not even close
    As I said though, if Magic and Bird were healthy I would take them by a mile. Pippen was never a top 5 player in the NBA at any point in his career, barely averaged over 20 even without MJ. I would take D Wade as a player over Scottie Pippen any day of the week. MVP conversation entire career, scoring title, finals mvp, a one man wrecking crew on both sides of the floor. Jordan and Kobe to me is a wash, even if Jordan is better it's not by much. Lebron usually played the 4 and he would eat up Charles Barkley. It's not like Robinson and Ewing are having their way with a prime Dwight Howard either, one of the best defensive centers in history. Like I said it's a pretty even matchup imo. Would be a 7 game series, but slight edge to 08 team because they have more speed on the wings and more players in their primes.

Hman

As I said though, if Magic and Bird were healthy I would take them by a mile.

Yessir I agree I was was basing on both teams healthy in general

kid dienamite

2dabank is right, there weren't really any international NBA players playing in 92. Look at who Jordan faced in the gold medal game. Croatia. Their best player was tony kukoc. Lol. Ricky Rubio by himself is better than Kukoc. Not to mention both Gasol brothers who are both 1st ballot hall of famers.
    That Croatia team had 5 NBA players on their roster including their best player Drazen Petrovic.

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30436

USA actually trailed Croatia 26-25 at one point in the game. I think that was only time in entire tournament they trailed

Goat Milk

That Croatia team had 5 NBA players on their roster including their best player Drazen Petrovic.
    you're right i forgot about petrovic, pretty good player

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11102

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Magic may have been HIV positive for 5+ years and playing. We'll never know....
    Good point!

kid dienamite

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    I haven’t given it enough thought to really say but wouldn’t it be fair to point out the rest of the world has gotten drastically better at basketball since the original dream team? I think that explains margin and overall difficulty much more so than simply saying that makes the ‘92 team superior. Don’t think the original dream team would cake walk over the rest of the world now days. It’s in large part thanks to them why the quality of basketball has risen globally.
    Could you imagine if the 92 team was in a 2 point game in the 4th qtr against the Gasol Bro's & a 17 year old Ricky Rubio...they would have been blasted for that. 92 team was too long & strong for anyone.

The biggest difference between the 92 & 08 team was the depth...while guys like Boozer, Redd. D. Williams, & Bosh were solid players, they would have gotten run out of the gym.