Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Brian Gabrielle: Canadian Open

Furyk looks to defend Canadian Open title

By: Brian Gabrielle | bgsports.com

Following last week's excitement at the British Open, the tour heads back to this side of the pond for the Canadian Open at Angus Glen Golf Club in Markham, Ontario.

Of course I picked Sergio Garcia in last week’s British Open. I watched Sunday with my girlfriend, cousin and his wife, tried to convey what was happening on the 18th hole that Padraig Harrington was butchering in front of our eyes, set it up through a brief explanation of 'par,' that what needed to happen was for Garcia to do that -- make par -- on the last to win his first major. Talked briefly about ’99 at Carnoustie.

After his tee shot I thought he had a good chance. Then the second in the bunker. Then the bunker shot not close enough for comfort. Then the missed par putt. I turned off the TV.

"Let’s go, I said. "This is over."

But it’s not over, he’s in a playoff, they said.

"It’s over," I said.

And so we left. It was a nice day. We came back an hour or so later after an aborted spell at the swimming hole. They were still playing when I turned the TV on and saw the scores through three of the four playoff holes. The assembled were still into the possibility; I wasn’t.

But wait, they said, all he has to do is make this putt -- "Which he’s never going to make," I said -- and the other guy has to make three putts and your guy’s in. He can do it!

We watched Harrington talk until ABC went off the air. Nice speech, almost as if he prepared it. Good for him. And he’s probably right that Sergio will win his share of majors in years to come. Years to come. Not this year, but years to come.

At this week’s Canadian Open, take Mike Weir (8-1), 1/6 unit: In his last three tournaments he’s gone T20 (U.S. Open), T8 (AT&T National) and T8 (at last week’s British Open) -- all high profile tournaments with strong fields. The Ontario native is trying to make it on the President’s Cup team, which will be held later this year in Montreal, and despite missing the cut the last two years he’s always played well at the Canadian Open (his best finish was a playoff loss to Vijay Singh in 2004).

Take Vijay Singh (14-1), 1/6 unit: Singh’s been no slouch of late either with two top-10s in his last three tournaments (T27 at the Open last week). And he’s done pretty well in this tournament. Since 2002 he’s gone T6, T6, P1 (over Weir) and T7 last year. Don’t look now but Vijay’s been putting well.

Take John Rollins (40-1), 1/6 unit: Rollins won the tournament in 2002 and his only other win on Tour came at the B.C. Open last year. Currently 12th in FedEx Cup points, he’s had an excellent year with a handful of top-10s and 11 top-25s. Dependable in every facet of the game, including driving accuracy, which will be important this week with reported thick rough.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

The top 2 ranked guys finished 1-2 in this tourny, good try with Vijay at 14-1. He had a birdie putt on the last hole to forcea playoff, but wasn't to be.

I decided following the 3rd round that I would make a wager on the 2007 PGA money leader. I played Furyk (averaged at 45-1) and Vijay (13-1), got lucky that they finished 1-2.

Top 4 on the official PGA money list following the Canadian Open results:

Woods: $5.21 million (11 tournaments entered)
    Singh: $4.43 million (21 tournys)
    Mickelson: $4.12 million (16 tournys)
    Furyk: $3.8 million (18 tournys)

Tournament wins are worth in the $800,000 to $1,300,000 range.

WIth Mickelson's wrist injury, and Tigers baby distractions, I think it opens the door for Furyk and Vijay to give this a shot. Vijay plays well in the PGA major, maybe being from Fiji he likes the August heat and humidity or something. Furyk has been amazingly consistant the last couple of months.

The main problem might be the FedEx points system they have this year, and the $10 million that goes to the winner. Even Tiger may make the maximum effort for that kind of cash.

Current FedEx points

Woods: 20,899
    Singh: 19,070
    Furyk: 16,691
    Mickelson: 15,818

Best I can tell from the PGA.com site, the last tournament this year that counts towards the 2007 PGA official money list is Nov.1-4 sponsored by Wal-Mart.

Come on Tiger, ease up a bit and share the wealth with someone else this year!
    Last edited by Art Vandeleigh; 07-30-07 at 02:16 PM.