marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

What is an "E-Sport" ?????

Video game competitions are now considered sports?

Axman3000
    Axman3000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

If you have seen how these guys prepare and play it's as much of a sport as anything else. E-Sport players have ridiculously long practicing sessions and the matches themselves are just as strategic as any other sport. It's not just a bunch of people running around killing each other on a screen. I don't think it's fun to watch myself and when I do play a game I just want to have some fun but I do appreciate the work and dedication that goes into professional gaming. My brother was in E-Sports from the management/ownership side and I felt the same way most people did until I witnessed the inner workings of E-Sports.
    Points Awarded:

Seto gave Axman3000 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

its not a sport

and neither is poker

golf is

bowling is where I draw the line and say it is a sport

Axman3000

I think the main problem is how people define a sport. Sports don't have to be physically demanding in the sense of using physical muscles. Mental toughness is just as valid when considering an "athlete". I guess it really dosen't matter in the end if people enjoy the structured competition.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I'm an athlete if mental toughness counts. Laying here using my thumbs to type. Can't stand, but my mind is running. Physically deteriorated, so even better.

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Quote Originally Posted by Axman3000 View Post
    If you have seen how these guys prepare and play it's as much of a sport as anything else. E-Sport players have ridiculously long practicing sessions and the matches themselves are just as strategic as any other sport. It's not just a bunch of people running around killing each other on a screen. I don't think it's fun to watch myself and when I do play a game I just want to have some fun but I do appreciate the work and dedication that goes into professional gaming. My brother was in E-Sports from the management/ownership side and I felt the same way most people did until I witnessed the inner workings of E-Sports.
    Not often do you see a well-articulated, open-minded post like this on SBR.

marcoloco

This also takes alot of time, dedication and practice

marcoloco

I understand the fun of video games and competitive playing. I am just surprised there is actually going to be "professional" players. I guess back in the day when Baseball was first becoming a professional sport, maybe people thought of it as a joke.
    "you are going to be a paid to hit a ball with a stick" but look at it now. Getting paid millions.
    20 years from now, professional video gaming could be normal with even College scholarships being offered. So bizarre.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8478

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    Video game competitions are now considered sports?
    they are building stadiums for it.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/07/bl...a-los-angeles/

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

It's hard to point to when it started, but Quake, Unreal Tournament, and Warcraft were the beginning of tournaments like Quakecon back around 1996-2000. You could probably go back before that even for Street Fighter 2 tournaments and even pac-man. But leagues/seasons started around 2000; so it's not like this it is a new 'sport'.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

e-sports have the softest lines at the moment. a league of legends team was playing with a complete fill squad from a tier 3 organization and books didn't even know.

cleveland, houston and golden state have league of legends teams for the usa national championship that starts in january

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

haven't made it to "e-sports" yet, still stuck on "DD-sports"....

Points Awarded:

DwightShrute gave Auto Donk 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

marcoloco gave Auto Donk 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Axman3000

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    This also takes alot of time, dedication and practice
    It's a routine in a variety show. If there were a dedicated standard of scoring flag spinning along with the primary purpose of planning the routine for competition then it could be a sport. It would be an incredibly boring sport though.