Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Thoughts On That Erin Hills Golf Course

That US Open golf was fun to watch because there were so many players in contention, until the back 9.

Was not a fan of that course though. Boring. Not a tree on it, not a pond to be found. It was just long (but very wide) with lots of fescue. Chambers Bay and now this mediocre track? Whassup with the USGA?

Anyone disagree?

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

It would have been a different tournament without the rain. The greens needed to be harder and faster (DONK!). But, overall I liked the course. I'm not sure if they'll get another shot at the U.S. Open again.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

It was way too easy. It was almost like the British Open. Links style golf is very boring. I like courses with trees and water. Plus, I hate Fox coverage of golf. Didn't watch much of it due to them.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

What was wrong with how Fox covered the tournament? Paul Azinger is pretty good at his job.

Sometimes when CBS has a major on they have way too many fluff pieces during the actual play.

Harry N. Lloyd

Yeah, I don't agree with the Fox criticism. I like Azinger, like Fax, and love Holly Saunders. I found it refreshing to not have to listen to Johnny Miller and Rog and Dotty, or Faldo, or God forbid--Gary McCord.

cornmeal
    cornmeal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1208

I like to see "carnage" for some reason at a U.S. Open, not 16 under. Would of liked to have seen what the scores would of been if they did not get all the rain prior to the start and after the 1st round.
    Koepka played like a "beast" sunday, congrats to him

mngambler
    mngambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3057

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    It was way too easy. It was almost like the British Open. Links style golf is very boring. I like courses with trees and water. Plus, I hate Fox coverage of golf. Didn't watch much of it due to them.
    I suppose if the top 3 finishers finished -2,-1, Even You would be "ohhh god, course was setup waayy to hard" christ just pick a side, either you want the type of scores listed above or you want the winners at -13, -12, etc. which is it?

cwnotorious
    cwnotorious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10757

Looked like they were playing on a cow patch. Azinger is solid and i liked darren clarke on the coverage also.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

too easy

golf is a terrible product now

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    too easy

golf is a terrible product now
    still much better than baseball

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    That US Open golf was fun to watch because there were so many players in contention, until the back 9.

Was not a fan of that course though. Boring. Not a tree on it, not a pond to be found. It was just long (but very wide) with lots of fescue. Chambers Bay and now this mediocre track? Whassup with the USGA?

Anyone disagree?
    the thing erin hills had going for it was tons of room for merchandise/concessions/suites/etc... there aren't that many courses that can handle that many people well

so it becomes a short list of eligible courses, and they don't want to just rotate pebble beach and torrey pines

just like whistling straits here, there will be more majors at erin hills just because golf courses are still being downsized rather than built, and the amount of eligible places just isn't that big

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Cow patch agree..hated that course. Bethpage black any day over this. Baltustrol NJ way nicer course..add pinehurst..thus was cow patch

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57541

Cow patch? I was out there all week - course was in magnificent shape and almost all the players loved it, which is rare. Tournament ran smoothly with huge crowds everyday. It's usually cooler, windy, and drier this time of year so in a normal season 8 under would have won. It's only been open 11 years. They will make a few changes and the Open will return in 2027, which is the next open date for the US Open. From all I've talked to out here its almost a guarantee they will be back. It was a huge success as far as the USGA is concerned and that's all that matters.

Harry N. Lloyd

Every hole looked exactly the same on TV. Fairways were too wide. 680 yard par 5's and Koepka hits a 3 wood and an iron to the front of the green. Whuh?

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Cow patch? I was out there all week - course was in magnificent shape and almost all the players loved it, which is rare. Tournament ran smoothly with huge crowds everyday. It's usually cooler, windy, and drier this time of year so in a normal season 8 under would have won. It's only been open 11 years. They will make a few changes and the Open will return in 2027, which is the next open date for the US Open. From all I've talked to out here its almost a guarantee they will be back. It was a huge success as far as the USGA is concerned and that's all that matters.
    i was there too... easy tournament to watch although you're not always as close to the action as other courses with those wide fairways/fescue

as a live spectator the hills make it appealing... my guess is that the people criticizing have never actually tried to follow a group at torrey pines, bethpage, oakmont, etc

i've been to all those and the ones other than erin hills are so freaking flat for most of the holes, that it's difficult to see anything or get around... it becomes like torrey pines for the 2008 playoff where you had to go 4 holes ahead and camp out just to see one shot