During a recent interview with a St. Louis radio station, the voice of Fox Sports since it was created in 1994, strongly hinted he would stop doing baseball play-by-play after his contract expires in three years when he will be 51. Buck also indicated he would like to continue working NFL games “if they (Fox suits) want to sign me.”

Everyone with a cynical bone in their body has the right to suggest Buck was doing a little advance negotiating with the Foxies when he informed the free world of his possible exit from the baseball booth. Yet negotiating ploys are not his style. Nor does he really need much leverage. Or as one of his friends said: “He has other things to do with his life. And he genuinely thinks someone else deserves a shot (at the baseball job).”

A little handwriting has already appeared on the wall. A few years ago, Buck cut back his regular season appearances on Fox’s Saturday MLB telecasts. Yes, three years is a long time, but if Buck has already communicated to management his desire to split, Fox has plenty of time to find his successor. Considering how he’s flourished since coming to Fox, would anyone be surprised if Kevin Burkhardt moved into Buck’s gig?

Buck told 590 AM’s Tim McKernan that he still loves the baseball job. “…But I’ve been doing it for a long time and I feel like somebody else should do it,” Buck said. “I’ve done enough, and I’m signed (with Fox) for three more World Series and that’ll be 22, which is stupid to even think about… But I would like to get some of my time back and be home (in St. Louis).”

If this were all to go down as Buck indicates it might, it would be highly unusual. When it comes to voices, most high-profile exits are messy and forced. For example, Tim McCarver, Buck’s former partner. Fox publicly announced McCarver was out as its No. 1 MLB analyst, but during the same conference call T-Mac said he was not retiring from broadcasting. On the football side, Pat Summerall, Fox’s longtime No. 1 NFL play-by-play voice (CBS’ too), was busted down to a lesser role before he was given the boot.

History — and reality — shows marquee mouths want to stay in the gig until their jaws lock. That’s why there are so many “uncomfortable” exits from the broadcast booth. If Buck’s words eventually become a reality, he will avoid the traditional chaotic departure and likely have other opportunities in front of him.

And if he did continue doing NFL football, it’s not likely he would hang around doing it for another 20 years into his 70’s. So, Joe Buck, son of Jack, the Hall of Fame voice, got into the business at an early age and might leave it with plenty of mileage left on the vocal cords.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ball%2FNets%29