Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

Overwhelming Interest In Jaguars Job

Former head coach Tom Coughlin has been identified as a person of interest - either in a coaching or front office role - and the Jaguars are expected to have several other candidates. Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Mike Smith, New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, and Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn are all considered possible interview candidates.

The team also hasn't ruled out returning interim head coach Doug Marrone, depending on Jacksonville's performance over the next two weeks.

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/119...medium=twitter

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Here’s another interesting report on Saturday morning from Fox’s Jay Glazer: the Jaguars are not just paying lip service to their once maiden coach. Glazer said on his pregame report that the team will indeed interview Coughlin for Gus Bradley’s former position.

The more interesting nugget, however: Coughlin reportedly isn’t a big fan of quarterback Blake Bortles, per Glazer.

This can’t be stunning, but it is interesting in that the Jaguars might not be ready to dump Bortles yet. They have a huge decision looming on the former No. 3 overall draft pick this offseason when they must decide whether to pick up his fifth-year option. That would lock him into a contract for 2018 commensurate with the transition tag, which guarantees a salary equal to the average of the top 10 salaries at the position. Currently, that number sits in the $21 million to $22 million range but could change depending on any extensions signed between now and then around the league.

If Coughlin suggests that the team does not pick up the option, would that push him behind in the running for the position over a candidate who thinks they can revive his once-promising career? That’s unclear.

Beyond that, which quarterback might Coughlin want? The options for 2017 might be limited, via the draft, free agency or even a trade. The price to land one might be high, and there’s not a lot of clear-cut solutions who could step in — slow your roll on Tony Romo, we plead — as the kind of veteran leader Coughlin might seek.

After all, he’s turning 71 before the season and would not be hired to orchestrate a gradual rebuild. The Jaguars, who have gone 41-112 since their last playoff appearance, and team owner Shad Khan want to turn things around now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-...?.tsrc=fauxdal

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Tom Coughlin has an endorsement in the Jaguars locker room from a familiar face.

Jaguars cornerback Prince Amukamara is finishing up his first season with the team after spending his first five with the Coughlin-led New York Giants.

The Jaguars fired Gus Bradley on Dec. 18 and general manager Dave Caldwell has publically said he wants to speak to Coughlin about the opening.

Amukamara believes bringing Coughlin back, a two-time Super Bowl champion with the Giants and the first Jaguars coach from 1995-2002, would be a strong move.

“It would be a great fit, wherever he goes,” Amukamara said. “I think it’s sexier here, because his family and Jay Fund foundation is down here. He’s coached here. He’s available and this job is available. It would complete the story.”

But, would he make the team better?

“I think guys would respond well to coach Coughlin, wherever he goes,” Amukamara said. “Not only because of his track record with the two Super Bowls, but mainly because he gets the best out of his players and he fights for his players. You’re getting a guy that loves his players, loves his team and will treat you like men. It’s all about winning with him.”

Even if the Jaguars re-unite with Coughlin, Amukamara might not be around to see the second act.

Caldwell signed him to a one-year deal worth $5.5 million in March.

The 6-foot, 207-pound Amukamara has had a unique season.

He hasn’t been beaten for many big plays, but he also hasn’t made many. The 27-year-old Amukamara has yet to intercept a pass and has only been credited with five break-ups. He did record two break-ups in Sunday’s 38-21 win over visiting Tennessee.

Amukamara was able to overtake Davon House as a starter after the fourth game and has never relinquished the role.

However, the biggest positive has been Amukamara’s health. He’s played in 13 games, tying for the second-most in his career. He missed 13 games combined over his last two seasons with the Giants.

“You’re graded on how many plays you’ve made on the ball,” Amukamara said. “I haven’t given up a lot personally, but you still want to make plays on the ball. My goal was to finish as many games as I can and I need to continue to do that.”

Amukamara has never played a season and not intercepted a pass. He’ll have one more chance in the finale at Indianapolis on Sunday. Still, he’s been a part of a turnaround that has seen the Jaguars defense improve dramatically in several significant areas.

“What we thought we were getting out of Prince, we are getting out of Prince,” Jaguars defensive coordinator Todd Wash said. “He has played well for us. He has done a nice job of staying on top and not giving up big plays for the most part.”

Caldwell has a history of reaching deals with players late in the season. He did so with defensive tackles Sen’Derrick Marks (Dec. 27, 2013) and Roy Miller (Dec. 16, 2014).

So, are the wheels in motion?

“No, not that I’ve heard of,” Amukamara said. “My agent hasn’t told me anything. I’m not really concerned about it. Not saying that in a cocky way, just a focused way.”

http://jacksonville.com/sports/2016-...h-tom-coughlin