The Pro Bowl might not be worth watching, but this hilarious story makes us wonder what really happens there behind the scenes.

First, former New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather called into The Sports Hub 98.5 WBZ-FM in Boston to explain what really happens at the Pro Bowl: that players “get dead drunk before the game, man” and that “they ain’t playing nothing.” All good information.

But following the Meriweather appearance on the show, former Patriots left tackle Matt Light — who clearly had been listening — called in and one upped the story with an amazing postscript. It seems that Light, a noted prankster, fooled a young Meriweather into dropping his bar tab onto Bill Belichick, who was coaching the AFC team in Hawaii that year.

Oh yeah. The whole thing is worth a listen. It’s pretty amazing stuff, especially when Light does a darned-fine Meriweather impression at the end.

Light, you see, convinced the gullible Meriweather that it was tradition for a coach to reward his own players who made the Pro Bowl by picking up their extensive bar bill. Light didn’t think much more about it as he watched Meriweather sit by the pool with NFL veterans living the life and enjoying a few beverages. And though Light even suggested that Meriweather “can put all this on Bill’s room,” he told the radio show he didn’t really expect it to happen.

“He looks at me and he says, ‘Are you serious?’ And I’m like, ‘Yeah, man. You don’t ever pay for your drinks when your coach is here coaching.’ I’m like, ‘Come on. Come on, rook.’ So I walk away; I’m not thinking anything of it,” Light said.

This is where is gets great. Several hours later, Light and Wes Welker saw a “well-served” Meriweather walk up to a nonplussed Belichick and his girlfriend, Linda Holliday, and couldn’t believe what was going down.

“I literally witnessed [Meriweather] walk up to Bill with his check, like the little card that has your bill in it, and hand it to coach Belichick and say, ‘Hey, thank you coach. I appreciate you,’ in a way only that he could do it,” Light said. “Like you could imagine what that conversation looked like.

“And I’ll never forget — Bill’s looking at him like, ‘What are you talking about?’ But Linda’s like, ‘Go ahead, take care of the tab. Help him out, right?’ It was the most uncomfortable awkward moment I’ve ever witnessed with coach.”

Light later calls it “one of the finest moments” of his life, and who are we to disagree? Most guys are thrilled to make a Pro Bowl. But to play an all-time prank on an unsuspecting, inebriated player and his no-nonsense coach? That’s a Hall of Fame-level achievement unlocked right there.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-mat...212138367.html