Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

Remarkable Story About NBA Player Who Paid $150 To Get A Shot

The San Antonio Spurs have proven adept at finding valuable players, whether it's someone picked late in the draft or an overseas prospect.

Twenty-six-year-old wing Jonathon Simmons has become their latest snag.

Simmons has taken a peculiar path to the NBA, going through two junior colleges before a stint at University of Houston, declaring for the NBA draft early, going undrafted, playing a year in the American Basketball League (ABL), and then, critically, two years in the D-League with the Austin Spurs.

After going undrafted in 2012 — he didn't even get an invite to a Summer League team, he noted to ESPN's Michael C. Wright — Simmons didn't know his options. He ended up at the ABL in part because it was already in his city. (Simmons grew up in Houston.) His choice was unusual, given that most players who don't make the NBA play for the D-League or go overseas.

"I didn’t even know much about the D-League," Simmons said to BI. "I didn’t understand how it worked and I just didn’t really pay attention to it at all until it was in front of me."

However, he was invited to try out for the Austin Spurs, the San Antonio Spurs' D-League affiliate, in 2013, almost as a last shot at basketball.

While players go back and forth between the NBA and D-League frequently these days, Simmons' story is exceptional. He had to pay a $150 registration fee just to try out. Many other players enter the D-League draft after going undrafted in the NBA or simply get assigned to the D-League from an NBA team. Simmons had to prove himself among 60 other hopefuls.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jonat...den-gem-2016-2

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

Didn't get me the points on my daily fantasy team with Aldridge sitting on Sunday like I thought he might. Never put a Spur on a fantasy team.