MiddleMan
    MiddleMan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1060

Account balance in negative

A corporate bookmaker who will remain unnamed has settled a losing bet as a win, and after the winnings were withdrawn, the account balance is now showing a negative figure, meaning it's in debt.

A customer service representative has stated if they don't receive the money, they will involve debt collectors.

Has this happened to anyone here?

Coopertrooper
    Coopertrooper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can't say I've heard of it. I have heard of the rare case where it happened and the book just copped it. Is this an Aussie book?

Either way, I can't imagine they would have a leg to stand on (I would think the courts would say that if they paid out a result AND allowed it to be withdrawn that it is a winning wager, regardless if the result was correct), but I'm far from an expert in gambling law.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    A customer service representative has stated if they don't receive the money, they will involve debt collectors.
    Lol......

Goodluck with that!

MiddleMan

So you don't think debt collectors will be involved, Pauly, or are you saying good luck getting away with it if debt collectors are involved?

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    So you don't think debt collectors will be involved, Pauly, or are you saying good luck getting away with it if debt collectors are involved?
    If this is a USA account, debt collectors have no legal right/authority whatsoever....

Same goes if Book decides to rip US customers off..

Only thing book would possibly lose, is rep........

MiddleMan

Fair.

The accused is a 17-year-old corporate bookmaker from the Northern Territory in Australia, with eight small navy blue letters and three small red letters, with a sky blue background. The corporate has priors and several warning flags involving throwing darts at a dartboard to set some of their lines.

Rabbitbrew
    Rabbitbrew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2333

In most bookies terms and conditions it states that if a bet is declared a winner in error and you have withdrawn the funds then they can issue you with an invoice to pay the money back.

I'd say that's what is happening here.

Much like if you found an extra $1000 in your bank account and spent it the bank are still entitled to their money back.

Not saying I agree, just stating how it is.

Tim Gerry Mander
    Tim Gerry Mander's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

Those guys are now owned by Bill Hill.

It's a joke anyway - like when they put the incorrect odds up and you hit them - they have the right to void the bet or adjust the odds after the fact.

Does the sales rep from Myer come knocking at your door asking for the extra money if an item scans incorrectly?

Man up and wear the loss.....

benrama
    benrama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

The bookies have no leg to stand on. I'm assuming you are not NT based? There's a chance state regulation might give them some leverage in NT but out of that - buckleys.

BTW - for fun I bet with Betvictor for live (terrible live odds but you can bet ANY time and this is powerful on Aussie sports), and they put incorrect lines up about once a month. Last one was -2 on Aussies to win 2nd half of league test when the full game was -10. I dumped half my account on it and they paid out no problem.

rohan22no
    rohan22no's Avatar Become A Pro!

My semi-educated guess is that its just their standard letter/email they send out when something like this happens. Chance of something actually happening (a debt collector contacting you in any way) is very very small.

A threatening email costs them nothing and works a huge amount of time, a debt collector costs money and time and organization, and its not worth their while unless the amount is way over $1000 owed - they know this. The email is an empty threat.

My play would be either to ignore, or if I was feeling cocky email them back with a "bring it on" type email.

For the sake of our entertainment, please choose option 2.
    Points Awarded:

Tim Gerry Mander gave rohan22no 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.