Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Bettor's $70 golf wager pays off huge

Ernie Els’ improbable British Open win allows bettor to pocket $32,000 on a $70 bet

Ernie Els
    took home the Claret Jug and a cool $1.452 million for coming from six shots back to win the British Open at Royal Lytham and St Annes. But he wasn't the only guy who cashed in on Sunday afternoon.
    As betting website WagerMinds.com reported, someone had the chutzpah to throw $70 on Ernie Els to win the British Open at 469-to-1 odds when Adam Scott had a four-shot lead with four holes to play.Crazy bet, right? There was no way Scott was going to lose ... at least that's what most of us thought at the time. When Scott came unglued over the final four holes, the bettor, who placed the wager through a site that allows you to bet during the round, cashed in on his $70 Hail Mary bet and walked away with a tidy $32,830.
    Not a bad day's work if you ask me. But wait, the story gets even crazier: This isn't the first time a bettor has made over $30,000 betting on the British Open. Just last year, a gentleman placed a $300 futures bet on Darren Clarke to win the British Open and pocketed just over $37,000.What does this story tell us? If you want to bet on a long shot, do it at the British Open. There's a good chance you could walk away with a once-in-a-lifetime story ... and at least $30,000 in cold, hard cash.

Double Bogey
    Double Bogey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1472

Would like to hear of the other side. The guys who thought it was easy money that Scott would win and got buried by those odds.

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Who in their right mind would have taken the other side? I heard it was -7000 at that point

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

I feel burned only getting +400 on him and kicking myself just as bad as if I lost for not putting more on him.I won a nice toy where I could have won a nice vacation or a car.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

Quote Originally Posted by pattymayo View Post
    Who in their right mind would have taken the other side? I heard it was -7000 at that point
    many more than you'd think

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

This were some pretty large odds

I would have thrown $10 if offered at the time

PPH
    PPH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

If you click the link above and read the article it doesn't make much sense (wagerminds.com). They claim after hole 14 that Scott went to 70-1 but this bettor took Els at 469 - 1. It sounds like somebody at Betfair either fat keyed his entry (must have had a huge amount of money to back this mistake) or this is bogus.