ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

Horse Race betting = Graveyard?

If you believe what you read, Horse players may be even lower on the food chain than sports bettors. State take is too much, plus Round-down to nearest 20-cent increment.

I think I believe the stat that 99.99% of horse bettors are buried. Maybe one in 10,000 does hit a massive exotic and retires happily. But basically a graveyard.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14742

It's tough to overcome the takeout for sure, Chucky. Like the saying goes, "You can beat a -race- but you can't beat the -races-".

Got to be selective and look for overlays. Avoid exotics. Get rebates and any perks possible.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

actually the opposite is true. while you can never be sure that you can beat a race, a microscopic few can win over the long run. you can still bet a little and win a lot, which can't be done in sports wagering.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Its a sucker game
    exchanges are much better when it comes to horses because you can take most of the takeout away (straight win betting)

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Its a sucker game
    exchanges are much better when it comes to horses because you can take most of the takeout away (straight win betting)
    Agree .. if you can break even with your picks at the track, online or at an OTB .. you can make a 20% ROI by using the same picks and an exchange .. I admire anyone that can grind out a profit without using an exchange.

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

was getting murdered before exchanges, now doing great

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

You much get rebates or low juice exchanges to have a prayer.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

not a fan of the horses at all...my father loves it...and was partners with a guy on a horse awhile back.....he does pretty well with it..he understands the game pretty well...me...im completely lost...i once ran into an older gentleman and somehow the the conversation turned to horse racing i said "my father loves it....but i cant stand it"...he said "whats his name"...i told him "oh..i know him...one of the smartest horse cappers ive known".....

i never dabble.....but once in awhile me and a few of my buddies will go to suffolk downs and get drunk on a saturday and people watch....laughing and making fun of the degenerates in their track pants...watching guys with missing teeth....washing their hands in puddles on the ground...its unreal sometimes

orioles
    orioles's Avatar Become A Pro!

Suffolk sounds like a classy place.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

I like the guys that yell the loudest. "come on 4 come on 4 4 4 4." Always get passed in the last 100 yards. These guys never buy a program or use the betting machines.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273605

for the grinders even with rebates and careful selection the shocking news is the very few who can make some positive money struggle to get results like 20,000 30,000 a year profit from it..its hard more than full time work for very little gain. and those are the very few who can even do that long term..working that hard with rebates and such for break even I guess is a hobby but does not pay any bills!

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

Agreed... too many variances in horse betting and too little return except for those lucky ones that hit an exotic at massive underdog odds

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

i play the horses as entertainment.

i don't expect to win when i go to the track