nj1035
    Update your status
    nj1035's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2118

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    Nah.

That kind of pressure ain't real. It's totally contrived. The reason pro golfers choke so damn much is because most of them are spoiled rich country club brats. They've never been in a real pressure situation their entire lives.

A lot of people thrive under pressure. It forces them to focus. But if you've been coddled your whole life to the point the most pressure you've ever faced is playing in a damned golf tournament, well from time to time you will find playing in a golf tournament pressure packed, and your sissy elitist balls won't have the weight to hold you down to earth. McIlroy got lost in his own head because he's a snot nosed punk that's never had to face anything truly daunting in his entire life. You give me his physical golf skills and I would have won going away.
    LMAO

You have no idea what you're talking about.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

was the worst meltdown at the Master's since Greg Norman in 96.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10464

$1.25 million choke job..he had it

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Quote Originally Posted by nj1035 View Post
    LMAO

You have no idea what you're talking about.
    I've bowled enough 300 games and won enough money throwing darts and shooting pool to know I can handle pressure situations. And I've met enough golfers to know most of them are bitches.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    No, but he wasn't the only one either.

Doc
    Is that right? I'd love to here about the other one. Who else had the first round lead and got crushed by the weight of the moment Doc? Cmon Doc? You know what youre talking about right Doc?

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    Says the guy saving up betpoints for a free pizza.
    Nah, I'm thinking big. Plasma screen.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57541

He'll be back - he's only 21! Most of these guys are still shittin' the bed like Rory did today when they're 24-25. He's got alot more chances ro cash a jacket.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    How would you begin to know that?
    Holy, shit, it's common knowledge to anyone who's paid any attention to the PGA tour.

Do you not know anything about the sport of golf?

Why do you think they make such a big deal out of Sergio's "humble" roots?

I'm actually kind of surprised they don't make such a big deal of Rory's. His dad sure wouldn't have cracked under the pressure.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Is that right? I'd love to here about the other one. Who else had the first round lead and got crushed by the weight of the moment Doc? Cmon Doc? You know what youre talking about right Doc?
    Doc's point is that Rory wasn't the only player who got caught up in shitty weather conditions to shoot a high score that day. Half the field got wiped out in that shit. There were probably 30-40 players who shot around 80. Including Ernie Els, Tim Clark, and Geoff Ogilvy if I recall. And I want to say Justin Rose, Paddy Harrington and a few other big names missed the cut because of it.

Rory came back and finished in the top five.

Point is, weather conditions in the British Open often change drastically throughout the day, and depending on your tee time, you could be playing in a blustery 40 mph wind and 40 degree rain, when the other half of the field gets a balmy 60 and sun.

Norman's collapse to Faldo in '96 was much much worse. Conditions were perfect, he just choked. Saddest thing in golf I ever saw.

Jnas
    Jnas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8549

Felt bad for the kid, that was awful. I think it took even mickleson quite a few years to get that big one. micelroy will be back soon

caseyking2
    Clemson Tigers!!
    caseyking2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2490

Does anyone know what the odds were on Schwartzel?

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

Nah.

That kind of pressure ain't real. It's totally contrived. The reason pro golfers choke so damn much is because most of them are spoiled rich country club brats. They've never been in a real pressure situation their entire lives.

A lot of people thrive under pressure. It forces them to focus. But if you've been coddled your whole life to the point the most pressure you've ever faced is playing in a damned golf tournament, well from time to time you will find playing in a golf tournament pressure packed, and your sissy elitist balls won't have the weight to hold you down to earth. McIlroy got lost in his own head because he's a snot nosed punk that's never had to face anything truly daunting in his entire life. You give me his physical golf skills and I would have won going away.
    I've never met him but everyone in broadcasting who has raves about how genuinely nice and down to earth he is. He's also definitely not from a silver-spoon family. His parents both worked 2 jobs so they could afford for him to play at the top junior/amateur events. If you've followed his career much you'll know that while he may be confident in himself he does not trash anyone else.

If you had his skills and his level of experience and exposure to this my guess is the results would have been similar, at best. He was holding it together ok until #10.... after the shot ricoched of the trees and in between the cabins I'm pretty sure that was like a mental/emotion bomb going off.... i would equate that feeling you get when you just realize you're getting a speeding ticket, those nerves. once that kicked in it was over for good.

i know i've rambled but i've slept like 4 hours in the last 48.

cruyff
    cruyff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 140

Nah.

When I clicked on this thread I was feeling bad for McIllroy, now I just feel bad for Madcap. Kids got a great career ahead of him, Madcap on the other clearly isn't young or talented at anything, since he feels the need to tear into a kid's life that he knows nothing about. Right, you'd have won in his spot.. i bet you've never hit a green in your life, you clown

slatter
    slatter's Avatar Become A Pro!

A 21-year old with three Top 3 finishes in majors to his name, 23 Top 10s and $6.2 million in the bank is "not ready for primetime"? OK.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by cruyff View Post
    When I clicked on this thread I was feeling bad for McIllroy, now I just feel bad for Madcap. Kids got a great career ahead of him, Madcap on the other clearly isn't young or talented at anything, since he feels the need to tear into a kid's life that he knows nothing about. Right, you'd have won in his spot.. i bet you've never hit a green in your life, you clown

I do know about McIlroy's life. I know that his parents slaved away to put that kid through golfing schools since he was a kid. I know he was brought up with much more comfort than his parents ever had. And I know his success in golf is entirely attributable to them. I also know they did as much as they could to shelter Rory from the harsh realities of life, which is why when the pressure is on, he folds like a cheap tent.

I on the other hand thrive under pressure. Whether it's meeting publishing deadlines or going on 7 ball runs for $1000 a pop. You give me his physical golf tools, and I wouldn't have choked. I might have lost to a better player, but I wouldn't have choked. Because I don't choke. I'm too competitive. Rory is not. That's why he choked. It's why Karl Malone choked. It's why Dwight Howard chokes. Some guys just want to play, others only want to win. Guys like Michael Jordan. Guys who refuse to accept defeat. When you want to win that badly, you never have nerves in those moments. Your rage/competitive spirit has too much of a hold on you to have nerves.

Rory has nerves because in the winning moments, to guys like him, it's always about more than the moment. There was never more than the moment for Jordan. There was the ball, the hoop, and the man in front of him. He had the ability to focus, intently, on a specific moment. Rory lacks that. Because he lacks the competitive fire. That's what happens when you are raised in a golfing academy. The game becomes less about passion, and more about precision. It's not about competition, it's about professionalism. It's about sterile dignity, and not fist-pumping victory.

And let's get something straight here, my point isn't to tear into the kid's life, it's to point out why some men fail, and some men succeed. Learn a lesson from his failures.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by valaub04 View Post
    I've never met him but everyone in broadcasting who has raves about how genuinely nice and down to earth he is. He's also definitely not from a silver-spoon family. His parents both worked 2 jobs so they could afford for him to play at the top junior/amateur events. If you've followed his career much you'll know that while he may be confident in himself he does not trash anyone else.

If you had his skills and his level of experience and exposure to this my guess is the results would have been similar, at best. He was holding it together ok until #10.... after the shot ricoched of the trees and in between the cabins I'm pretty sure that was like a mental/emotion bomb going off.... i would equate that feeling you get when you just realize you're getting a speeding ticket, those nerves. once that kicked in it was over for good.

i know i've rambled but i've slept like 4 hours in the last 48.
    If I had his upbringing I'm sure the results would be similar.

I am aware his parents aren't silver spoon. Doesn't mean Rory wasn't raised as a snot-nosed punk. He was coddled and spoiled his whole life.

I mean shit, think about it. Think about the types of things parents do to spoil their children. What's more spoiling than working 100 hours a week just to send your kid to a private golf academy? A 13 year old can't possibly understand that type of sacrifice. Neither can a 21 year old. When Rory has a family of his own, and starts making the types of sacrifices a father has to make for his children, only then will he be able to fully appreciate all his parents went through for him. Until that point, his understanding of it is only theoretical. Once he has his own experiences, and can contextualize those things, that's when he will truly understand what it takes to win in those moments.

jmush
    jmush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

dude is young ........he will have plenty more of these chances

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68545

Holy, shit, it's common knowledge to anyone who's paid any attention to the PGA tour.

Do you not know anything about the sport of golf?

Why do you think they make such a big deal out of Sergio's "humble" roots?

I'm actually kind of surprised they don't make such a big deal of Rory's. His dad sure wouldn't have cracked under the pressure.

(Do you not know anything about the sport of golf?)

If you only knew.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11648

What about the rich sprinter from Chariots of Fire? He laughed at the pressure.

Bowling is a weird assed sport. I have trouble trusting bowlers since I saw that movie.

The Madcap

Bowling is a weird assed sport. I have trouble trusting bowlers since I saw that movie.
    Which movie?

I only got into bowling because it was the easiest place to drink back when I was underage.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    (Do you not know anything about the sport of golf?)

If you only knew.
    Enlighten me.

Maybe I'm betting against the wrong people. Oh wait, I faded McIlroy and won big.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Nah. That kind of pressure ain't real. It's totally contrived. The reason pro golfers choke so damn much is because most of them are spoiled rich country club brats. They've never been in a real pressure situation their entire lives. A lot of people thrive under pressure. It forces them to focus. But if you've been coddled your whole life to the point the most pressure you've ever faced is playing in a damned golf tournament, well from time to time you will find playing in a golf tournament pressure packed, and your sissy elitist balls won't have the weight to hold you down to earth. McIlroy got lost in his own head because he's a snot nosed punk that's never had to face anything truly daunting in his entire life. You give me his physical golf skills and I would have won going away.
    McIlroy's parents worked three jobs in order for him to be able to afford fees to be able to golf. He grew up in a low-middle class income family.

Though he might not have to overcome poverty, or a one family household. He did not grow up with the proverbial " silver spoon" in mouth.

The Madcap

Next time you watch that movie, watch it a bit more closely. Maybe you'll realize A) most of the athletes back then came from the elite universities (and thus, elite families, and so most all of them were rich) and B) the "rich" sprinter was a Jew constantly suffering from anti-Semitism. Being a victim of prejudice your whole life sort of alleviates pressure. Anger/hate/resentment fuel competitive fire, evaporating nerves.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    McIlroy's parents worked three jobs in order for him to be able to afford fees to be able to golf. He grew up in a low-middle class income family.

Though he might not have to overcome poverty, or a one family household. He did not grow up with the proverbial " silver spoon" in mouth.
    Yes, I'm aware of this. See above. Posts #50/51

Jeffito11
    Jeffito11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes, Rory showed some class after losing. He will be back.

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

Madcap, you have convinced me. I'm about to go wake my kids up and give them a beating. After that I will hurl verbal abuse onto them. Once they are done crying I'm sending them out into the yard to run sprints until they puke. I don't want to run the risk of them having a big lead at Augusta one day only to choke because most golfers are spoiled.

We should know the results of this experiment in 15 years or so. STAY TUNED.

Pherst
    Pherst's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 167

Madcap, you have convinced me. I'm about to go wake my kids up and give them a beating. After that I will hurl verbal abuse onto them. Once they are done crying I'm sending them out into the yard to run sprints until they puke. I don't want to run the risk of them having a big lead at Augusta one day only to choke because most golfers are spoiled.

I watch with keen interest...

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11648

and B) the "rich" sprinter was a Jew constantly suffering from anti-Semitism. Being a victim of prejudice your whole life sort of alleviates pressure. Anger/hate/resentment fuel competitive fire, evaporating nerves.
    Ah yes, the suffering rich.

The Georgia Peach, Ty Cobb, was a rich kid - and not Jewish.

Think he would have collapsed in Rory's shoes?

I don't.

The Madcap

I don't.

No.

But then, Cobb's father's last words to him were "Don't come home a failure." Pretty strong motivation.

And of course, those were his last words because Cobb's mother shot Cobb's father and killed him shortly after Ty signed with Detroit. We know Cobb was a nasty son of a bitch. You kind of develop an ill temperament when your mother kills your father. Cobb's dad never saw him play. And Cobb always credited his mean streak/intense playing style to that--playing for his dead father. Kind of like another guy who never choked, Michael Jordan.

It ain't a matter about simply being rich you narrow minded fuk. It's about upbringing and attitude. Some rich people are raised with guts. Most aren't. Cobb was despite his parents having money. Rory wasn't, even though his parents had little to spare. It's that simple.

The Madcap

It's a smart move.

Then maybe your kids won't grow up with the same smart-ass excuse-making douchbag attitude.

The Madcap

I don't.
    Of course it should be pointed out, Cobb never won the World Series in three tries, in large part because he didn't hit. His batting average in the Series was a full 100 points lower than his regular season career average.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Rory shot a 64 in round 2 of the Malaysian tourny today and is co-leading this tournament. Meltdown 2 weeks in a row?

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Good try Rory, finishes 3rd in Malaysia. Made a double bogey on the 12th while Manassero holed out for eagle, 4 shot swing too much for him to make up. Manassero turning 18 this week, making 21 year old Rory feel like an old man out there, Christ how do these kids do it???

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

unreal

He chokes again

TheMoneyTree
    TheMoneyTree's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    unreal He chokes again
    Shot 69 (-3) On the last Round, Not exactly choking is it. €108,349 says he's happy at 3rd place scoring -14 after what happened at The Masters.

First 123 Last