valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

valaub 2011 The Masters week-long thread

lets get the record out of the way. 14-6-2 +44.31 unit YTD. THIS is the week we double-up, juice out, or bust for the first third of the year. My golf GOY will,as always, be on this tourney. It is an event like no other (you'll agree if you've been there) and will be bet like no other. This will serve as my thread for all golf plays this week, whether on The Masters or other events.

also, let's test and negate some theories.

• weather matters? Since the course was "Tiger-proofed" Augusta has had winners who could bomb it and winners who played strategically. Zach Johnson won his first and to date only major title in 2005. I handicap with the thought that overall weather will not be a factor. The reason I don't put much faith in weather being a huge factor is technology. Today players have the ability to change shafts and equipment fast enough that they will **basically** be hitting the same shot's regardless. Also, ANGC (Augusta National Golf Club) has technology that surpasses practically any other course on the planet. They can suction as much moisture out of the greens as they want. They can make the course setup to where even par will win or 14 under will. Weather matters NOT.
    • Past performance. This is a more difficult situation. It depends on what you are basing your picks on and for. Are you betting 72 hole matchups, win props, or individual 18 hole rounds. History favors the experienced around ANGC. While many have made The Masters their first major win (Woods, Mickelson, Johnson, Weir, Immelman) few have won here overall for the first time (Zoeller, others a longer time ago....) but past winners beget past winners. Several could have the Woods/Mickelson role (Westwood, McIlroy, Kuchar, numerous others) while it would be purely guesswork to know who serves in the Zoeller role. Past performance matters IT DEPENDS.
    • Hole-in-one prop. If you're looking for lightning in a bottle, look further. Not many in the tourney's history but a smaller than normal field size make this useless. #2, forget it. #6?? possible. #12 not likely even with short iron. #16?? by far most likely but will have 1/2 field by the most accessible pin. MOVE ON.

1st up this week are early 72 hole bets and top 5 props.

72 hole matches:

Brandt Snedeker (2x) -145 over Gary Woodland
    . Snedeker has history of good performances here and this will be Woodland's first competitive rounds at Augusta. Recent form would indicate that Woodland is the play but I will side with history and play Snedeker for 2 units.

Top 5 props:

Matt Kuchar top 5 +635. Taking value here with a guy I think could win. Kuchar has six top 10s on the PGA TOUR in 2011. Comes of a T8 in Houston. Leads the PGA TOUR in par-4 performance, and ranks second in the all-around, fourth in putting and third in bogey avoidance.

Tiger Woods +305. Taking value again. Has not finished outside the top six here in his last six appearances. Played the par 5s last year in bogey-free 15-under with three eagles. Also eagled the par-4 seventh in the final round. All-time money leader at this event is benefited by insulated environment.

Much, much more as the week continues. Adding these smilies per my daughters request.

Last edited by valaub04; 04-04-11 at 07:20 PM.

KJ CottonChopper
    KJ CottonChopper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 232

Thanks Val for the great input and advice. Already place some very small wagers on some crazy longshots, but looking for some solid winners by the first tee time Thursday. Keep the winners coming and thanks again!!!

Scully
    Scully's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Nicely put Val.
    As for the GOY, do you have or know your W-L record for your previous golf GOY's in the Masters and any idea when this normally occurs in the tourney?

gwiz
    gwiz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 451

good stuff val

They say a short game is mandatory this week and woodland's weakness is getting up and down

good luck

valaub04

honestly can't remember losing one but i've only had ~ 4 of them. i **may** have misspoke as there is nothing jumping out at me just yet. if i can get the right matchup i know who i'm betting against. sorry to tease but i don't see that matchup offered yet.

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Good luck this weekend.What do you think of KJ Choi?

valaub04

always seems to play well there. i won't be betting on or against him. i'll have more 72 hole matchups listed tomorrow before noon. i probably will have 1-2 first round plays (max).

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

thanks for the info this should be fun

vincanity15
    vincanity15's Avatar Become A Pro!

any par 3 tournament plays for tomorrow?

valaub04

Ok, so the more I look at the numbers there is a matchup that is worthy of me riding it as my PGA GOY. It was not where I initially wanted to go as I wanted to play against Els, but there is not a matchup with him that I feel strongly enough about.

25 unit GOY Mickelson -135 over Luke Donald 72 hole matchup

Stats to back this selection:

• Since the course has completed it's "Tiger Proofing" after the 2005 event, Mickelson has 2 wins, 2 5th place finishes, and a T24. Donald over that same stretch has 2 missed cuts, a T42, T10, and a T38. Only once during that stretch has he beaten Mickelson and that was during the 2007 tournament also known as The Masters - Deep Freeze Edition.
    • During the span indicated above Donald has never finished 72 holes below par at Augusta. In fact, 2005 is the only time that Donald has finished under par at ANGC. He was -5 which was good enough for a T3, but 7 shots behind the playoff pairing of Woods and Dimarco.
    • Donald hasn't played in 4 weeks and that type of layoff is almost unheard of going into a major championship. It is my belief that he is over-valued b/c of his dominant performance in the WGC Match Play Championship. He was brilliant in that tourney, but is that a case of a week where nothing could go wrong?
    • Looking at this years stats for the tour, it is hard to deny that Donald is having a great year. There is, however, a stat that floored me and makes me very confident in this pick (outside of everything already listed) and that is the fact that Donald is tied for 145th on tour in greens in regulation. 145th. That was shocking to me for such a seemingly straight hitter. His reputation is built on being and having a superb short game, but that must mean he is getting it up and down for par most of the time this year. You're going to need birdies, and lots of them, for this years tourney.

So there you have it. I'll be glad to answer any questions if anyone has them. BOL to all. Many more matchups yet to be posted.

valaub04

wanted to see Billy Payne's press conference before I made further picks. looks like they are going to have a setup that will foster low scoring.

Props:
    tournament total under 276.5 3**

36 hole cut under 147.5 15*** (i'm not going to have a whole lot of writeups anymore due to time but with a setup to feature scoring it's hard for me to believe that **somebody** won't be able to get it to -7 by Friday. And with 100 people in the field there is no way that the cut will be based on anything other than the 10 shot rule.

72 hole matches:
    Rory Sabbatini -114 over Ernie Els 10**
    Justin Rose -128 over Padraig Harrington 8**
    Matt Kuchar -129 over Dustin Johnson 5**
    Angel Cabrera -110 over Alvaro Quiros 4**
    Peter Uihlein -140 over Sandy Lyle 3**
    Bill Haas +100 over Ben Crane 2**

valaub04

Quote Originally Posted by vincanity15 View Post
    any par 3 tournament plays for tomorrow?
    no. i didn't even know they were offered but i have no idea which players take it serious vs. which players are there to have fun.

cheeese
    cheeese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

Thanks for the picks

valaub04

add 5 more units to cut under 147.5

20** total now.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

have DJ (+110) over Kuchar. DJ is a major mainstay, this course should fit him pretty well. Wouldn't be shocked to see him win here. Have him at around +450 to finish top 5

Scully

Awesome stuff and bol with every play in the tourney Val.

Smogs
    Smogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 499

rock on dude, sadly my book doesn't have the same set of props - if i wanted to bet against luke donald for instance he'd be up against matt kuchar and not big phil. Having said that, do you think i should be kuchar over donald??

firehoyt
    Are you serious, Clark?
    firehoyt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Diamond doesn't have that many prop bets. That sucks. Val, you think you'll have alot of day matchups from now on?! I was looking at some of the "to win" props and by the time I decided what I wanted o play, they had closed betting. I hated Bodog but at least they had plenty of prop bets

valaub04

i'll have individual rounds starting tomorrow.

as far as kuchar vs. donald i'd pass. jmo.

valaub04

oh, and as far as options on golf, 5Dimes has by far the biggest set of offerings i've seen. all of the above are from them. (not meaning to sound like a shill for them)

Scully

Val when does the GOY go?
    I guess the question should be what book do you use for your plays?
    Thanks.

valaub04

I use 5Dimes. The GOY has gone as it was a 72 hole match bet. Donald was really struggling but just went birdie-eagle-birdie to get it back to -1. boo.
    Last edited by valaub04; 04-07-11 at 04:35 PM.

Scully

Quote Originally Posted by valaub04 View Post
    I use 5Dimes. The GOY has gone as it was a 72 hole match bet. Donald was really struggling but just went birdie-eagle-birdie to get it back to -1. boo.

Thanks Val. Will be watching & pulling for ya. Bol!

valaub04

ok, so this is my first year with a certain book during Masters, and I have to say I am a little overwhelmed at the options... almost too many to focus on. i think there are some really good prices on 3 ball matchups for Friday (low score in each group or NOT lowest score in group). I'm playing somewhat light in the morning as I want to be sure that under 147.5 total for the cut comes in... then its bombs away. i'm not sure whether to be happy phil is -2 after hitting it so poorly or worried that he was all over the course. not loving what i saw out of him today. anyway....

to finish in top 10:
    sergio garcia +250 2**

matchups:
    2** Paul Casey -.5 -112 over B. Watson
    2** Trevor Immelman -.5 -112 over L. Glover (this and the above match also available at -130)
    1** Anders Hansen -145 over A. Cejka

Friday 3 Ball Matchups:
    1** Schwartzel -110 over Appleby+Hoffman
    1** Jeff Overton +180 over J.Kelly+C.Villegas
    1** Rory Sabbatini -200 over Mize/J. Jeong

MOST of the plays I like best start after 1230pm EDT, so I will update with more mid-late morning. BOL.

Smogs

I think you can be positive about phil - to play badly and be -2 is a great start, he will pick it up today and be guaranteed he tweaked the misgivings on the practice green/range in the meantime

Interesting you like sergio for top ten finish - i expect him to crumble like always but we'll see - bol on it though

valaub04

i like what i saw out of sergio on thursday. tough to say b/c i really, really dislike him. tough to pass up that price.

Smogs

Lol, i just had a dabble on Quiros to have 3/4 birdies (+150) and 5 or more +300 for 1 and 0.5 units respectively

You don't go from 8 birdies inc all the par 5's to less than 3 birdies

valaub04

bets that have been completed thus far:

cut total under 147.5 +20 units
    Rory Sabbatini -114 over Ernie Els 10** -11.4 units
    Justin Rose -128 over Padraig Harrington 8** +8 units
    Peter Uihlein -140 over Sandy Lyle 3** +3 units
    Bill Haas +100 over Ben Crane 2** +2 units

Friday Matchups:
    matchups:
    2** Paul Casey -.5 -112 over B. Watson -2.24 units
    2** Trevor Immelman -.5 -112 over L. Glover (this and the above match also available at -130) -2.24 units
    1** Anders Hansen -145 over A. Cejka -1.45 units

Friday 3 Ball Matchups:
    1** Schwartzel -110 over Appleby+Hoffman -1.1 units
    1** Jeff Overton +180 over J.Kelly+C.Villegas +1.8 units
    1** Rory Sabbatini -200 over Mize/J. Jeong -2 units

Total completed plays thus far: 5 wins, 6 losses but +14.37 units tourney to date

I do not feel comfortable at all right now with the Mickelson/Donald matchup. Still a lot of golf left but this one hasn't started as I anticipated. Some props look good, others meh.

I'll have some 3rd round plays up sometime tomorrow. I'm tired.

valaub04

3rd round matchup. Several good ones out there, but I'm loading up on 1.

Geoff Ogilvy -.5 -150 over Alvaro Quiros. 8**

I put my entire points balance with ThadB and an unspecified amount with others. Today should be the day that the competition committee makes the pins the toughest and I would imagine every drop of water has been removed from the greens. Ogilvy has been in better form, has won on the toughest course/setup on the planet (Winged Foot @ US Open). Quiros has had the one great round on Thursday and other than that I don't think he's broke 75 at ANGC. Big play for me.

KJ CottonChopper
    KJ CottonChopper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 232

I loved it before, but I really love it now with your confirmation! Thanks val and keep the winners coming. Good luck!!!

valaub04

Quote Originally Posted by valaub04 View Post
    3rd round matchup. Several good ones out there, but I'm loading up on 1.

Geoff Ogilvy -.5 -150 over Alvaro Quiros. 8**

I put my entire points balance with ThadB and an unspecified amount with others. Today should be the day that the competition committee makes the pins the toughest and I would imagine every drop of water has been removed from the greens. Ogilvy has been in better form, has won on the toughest course/setup on the planet (Winged Foot @ US Open). Quiros has had the one great round on Thursday and other than that I don't think he's broke 75 at ANGC. Big play for me.
    winner. 6-6 but +22.37 units. good thing cause it will take a big reversal of form for Phil to beat Luke Donald. More plays tomorrow.

valaub04

locked this one in before it got out of hand....

playing to win 10 units on McIlroy to win the tourney. 13.5/10.

bol.

gwiz
    gwiz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 451

I have heard Mcilroy say he likes to play on Sunday, so we shall see how he does with the pressure

valaub04

he played great at the Ryder Cup with pressure and he's looked great all week.... Taking a big lead into Sunday @ a major is his first rodeo though.

buurrdman
    buurrdman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Valaub what do you think about ogilvy vs couples .....couples always plays good for three rounds and the fourth just slowly fades out!

12 Last