Gremlin Lad
    Gremlin Lad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Paddock Guard John Shear was injured

Sunday March 13, 2011..

Santa Anita Paddock Guard Shear injured while saving young girl.

Veteran Santa Anita Paddock Guard John Shear was injured Saturday as he threw himself in front of a young girl in order to protect her from a loose horse, prior to the running of the 3RD race.

Shear, a former jockey who recently celebrated his 90th birthday, has been a fixture at Santa Anita for decades. Prior to the incident, he was in his normal position holding the rope on the west entrance of the track's walking ring.

Sea and Sage (Sea of Secrets), a three-year-old gelding who had started twice previously at the current meet, was in the walking ring with nine other horses who were readying for the upcoming race. Sea and Sage wheeled, freeing himself from his handler and in a 180-degree about-face, sprinted toward the opening Shear was guarding just outside the walking ring.

As seen live on simulcast television, Shear, instead of dropping the perimeterrope he was holding and protecting himself, ran in front of the loose horse and threw himself in front of and on top of the young girl in the crowd, who appeared to be three or four years of age.

Sea and Sage collided with Shear, who remained conscious, responsive and was moving when he was attended to by on-site First Aid personnel and later by members of the City of Arcadia Fire Department.

Shear was taken by ambulance to Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena for further evaluation.

Sea and Sage emerged from the incident uninjured and was caught in the Santa Anita stable area, whereupon he was returned to his stall at trainer Gary Mandella's barn.
    Points Awarded:

ATP123 gave Gremlin Lad 20 SBR Point(s) for this post.

ATP123 gave Gremlin Lad 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68545

I realize that the first thing people will say is that he should not be allowed to work there at age 90.And while common sense is hard to argue with,the race track is like no other place I have worked in my life.I could type forever on the subject but the bottom line is, it is such a unique place,with such unique people,this is not out of the ordinary at all.
    I hope he is o.k. and back to work soon.

mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16303

He has worked there so long this just shows how long im 48 when i moved down from Canada when i was 12 me and my Freind Brad went to the track by ourselves over by the Jocks room there is a old bathroom where a fence is and there was a big hole in the fence where people would sneak in of course we were the ones to get caught and this guy caught us and kicked us out everytime i took my wife to the track i would see him and tell her that story.He must of not said anything to Anybody because the hole in the fence was there for at least 3 or 4 more years.

gtkid911
    Gambling is a marathon
    gtkid911's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

pretty courageous since he is so old. a lot of the people who work at the track areold

Broken-Ear Glen
    Broken-Ear Glen's Avatar Become A Pro!

everybody be rockin dey neck like,who dat girl, who dat girl

Gremlin Lad

Saturday March 19, 2011

found on ....http://www.santaanita.com/press/pres...-sitting-alert

ARCADIA, Calif. (March 13, 2011)—The condition of injured 90-year-old paddock guard John Shear has improved “one hundred eighty degrees” over what it was Saturday night at Huntington Memorial Hospital according to a family member.
    Shear, who was injured while shielding a 6-year-old girl from a runaway loose horse, was hospitalized Saturday afternoon following the accident that occurred prior to Santa Anita’s third race.
    “I went and saw him last night in I.C.U. (intensive care unit) and he didn’t look good,” said Shear’s son, Mike, 44. “His voice wasn’t good and his face was black and blue. I went back this morning to see him at 10:30 and there was a complete, 180 degree turnaround. He was sitting upright, talking, laughing and completely coherent and he’s stable. <
    “He’s got multiple fractures. I’m not sure about all of them, but we do know he has one fracture in his pelvic area. He was hurt about four years ago in a paddock accident at Hollywood Park and the doctors inserted a rod in that area which may’ve been dislodged yesterday.
    “The doctors think this has caused some internal bleeding in that bone area and he did lose a significant amount of blood yesterday. The latest word is that he’s not going to have to undergo surgery at this time, which is great news,” said Shear.
    Shear’s act of selfless heroism has created national interest, far beyond the scope of horseracing.
    “I’m completely blown away and humbled by the response from fans at the track and from those on all the social media sites. It’s amazing how many people that don’t even know my dad have expressed their well wishes,” said Shear.
    “My dad does about 35 pushups a day and he eats well and stays fit. I think that’s the biggest reason he’s recovering so quickly. I’m extremely proud of him. I’m the most proud of him that I’ve ever been. He’s overcome a lot in his life—from where he came from and what’s he’s been able to accomplish.
    “We’re not really sure how long he’s going to have to stay in the hospital. A lot depends on whether he’s going to (eventually) need surgery. “We’ll probably know more later today.” John Shear has been employed at Santa Anita Park since Dec. 23, 1961. --30--

Gremlin Lad

Monday March 21, 2011

Santa Anita paddock guard John Shear, a Santa Anita employee for nearly half a century, continues to make progress after he suffered multiple injuries following an act of heroism at Santa Anita on March 13. The 90-year-old Shear was injured while shielding a five-year-old girl from a runaway loose horse prior to Santa Anita's 3RD race. Shear has been employed at Santa Anita since December 23, 1961. "He's been taken off the critical list and was taken out of intensive care this morning," said long-time Shear friend Gail McNeal, who recently retired from Santa Anita after 33 years. She operated the press box elevator since 1980 until her retirement, thus earning the nickname, "Elevator Gail." "I saw him yesterday at Huntington Memorial Hospital," McNeal continued. "His spirits are good; he's chatty and positive and wants to get well and get out of there. He wants to go home to his wife (Diane) in Sierra Madre. After that, we're talking about taking another one of our trips to Las Vegas." Shear's act of selfless heroism has created national interest. "I'm completely blown away and humbled by the response from fans at the track and from those on all the social media sites," Shear's 44-year-old son, Mike, told the Santa Anita Publicity Department earlier. "It's amazing how many people who don't even know my dad have expressed their well wishes."...

dugbug15
    dugbug15's Avatar Become A Pro!

john seems like qute a guy.his family has a lot to be proud of.i wish him well.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

strongly suggest that he should apply for social security. he's missed out on 28 years of checks.

cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6871

tough guys like him dont need SSI. 35 PU's a day @ 90! lucky if i could give ya 10 and im < half his age.....
    i wish him gods speed on vacating that sick house...hospitals suck.

Gremlin Lad

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    strongly suggest that he should apply for social security. he's missed out on 28 years of checks.

This has nothing to do with receiving Social Security checks.

This is about a person that wants to stay active in his community and COMMUNICATE and MINGLE with people every day.

How do you know ..

#1 .. He could be collecting SS retirement checks. ( He is certainly old enough to collect AND still work and make as much as he wants without penalties.)

#2 .. He could of worked at a Government Job that at the time, he COULD NOT contribute into the Social Security Program, and therefore not collecting SS Benefits.

We do not know his status.

Bravo for him to want to stay active. !!

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

he could be taking a job away from someone who needs it. he's too old to react to a runaway horse. he got lucky this time. the effort he must make to get to santa anita every raceday must be insurmountable. maybe he should sell tip sheets or something less dangerous.