robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Uncle Mo, Pros/Cons For Not Doing The TB Derby?

Your thoughts? This field he races at Gulfstream is piss poor. Is it because the money he was almost certainly make from this race to qualify him for the Derby?

ukbro00
    ukbro00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

The race isn't graded, so this won't help him qualify for the derby, but he wouldn't have that issue anyway. He wants an easy race back, just to get back to racing.

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

He won the BC Juvenile, so he is the leader in graded earnings, which determine the starters in the Derby.

I just don't understand this spot. I would get it if it was Feb 1, but now he hasn't raced in 4 months and picks a 1 turn race against other horses that aren't on the same path. Pletcher could test him more with his 3rd stringers in his own barn.

I think Uncle Mo was the best winner of the BC Juvenile I've ever seen. Better than Arazi, better than War Pass, better than Street Sense. This path troubles me, however. I'm reminded somewhat of Point Given who ran a huge BC Juv finishing 2nd, then took one soft spot before the SA Derby, and then came up short in the KY Derby. Now you can argue that this path will leave him with the most in the tank to make a run at the Triple Crown, but much like Point Given, he may just come up short in the first leg.

robmpink
    Update your status

Silly me. i thought it was earning starting 01-01-11. So he runs here, is there a chance he'll run in the Florida Derby or other spots before the Derby? Most likely the Wood.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9438

I'd guess the Wood for Uncle Mo.

2-year-old earnings count toward the entry system. That's the only way Mine That Bird was able to get into the field in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    Silly me. i thought it was earning starting 01-01-11. So he runs here, is there a chance he'll run in the Florida Derby or other spots before the Derby? Most likely the Wood.

Thunder Gulch

They have said the Wood is on their schedule from the beginning.

Jankar
    Jankar's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pletcher could test him more with his 3rd stringers in his own barn.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

he will be overbet in the derby and will probably finish 2nd. to who, who knows. the derby is never a good bet with the 20 horse field you can be lucky but never be good at that race selecting finishers.

ukbro00

Flashpoint is seeming to take the best road to the derby, going short. This way he'll have prime stamina to go the mile and a quarter if he is able to.

Seattle Slew

Agreed, although with 20-horse field, you might get 2-1 on him.

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    he will be overbet in the derby and will probably finish 2nd. to who, who knows. the derby is never a good bet with the 20 horse field you can be lucky but never be good at that race selecting finishers.

Thunder Gulch

The Derby is one of the greatest betting races in the world with only 2 or 3 horses under 10-1 and a slew of good horses and exotic contenders at 20-1 +. You gotta wheel and spread it out, but the tri and super payouts are massive.

robmpink
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Agreed, although with 20-horse field, you might get 2-1 on him.
    Hope he doesn't get the #1 post.

ukbro00

His derby odds will be determined by his 2 prep races. If he wins both easily, he'll be even money in the derby. If he loses one of them., you'll get at least 3-1.

Foosball Champ
    Foosball Champ's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10462

Uncle Mo is still completely untested as a 3yo. Juvenile winners normally don't hold their form as 3yo

gtkid911
    Gambling is a marathon
    gtkid911's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Uncle Mo just needs a race and theres no point in making him run two turns if he doesnt need to.

Seattle Slew

Only two races would scare me. He should roll on Saturday but the Wood will be a tougher test.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosball Champ View Post
    Uncle Mo is still completely untested as a 3yo. Juvenile winners normally don't hold their form as 3yo

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

I think Pletcher has Triple Crown on his mind.Uncle Mo can win the Timely Writer at 80% then the Wood Memorial at 90% then hold his peak form from May 7 to June 15 or whenever the Belmont is

gtkid911
    Gambling is a marathon
    gtkid911's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

For a serious triple crown run, he would probably need to peak during the preakness as i dont think anyone else is as good as him in the current three year old class

cbiscuit
    cbiscuit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1714

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
    The Derby is one of the greatest betting races in the world with only 2 or 3 horses under 10-1 and a slew of good horses and exotic contenders at 20-1 +. You gotta wheel and spread it out, but the tri and super payouts are massive.
    This is one more reason why the Derby is the greatest race in the world. You have to invest in this race and hope to get lucky but for the most part it is all about finding that 20-1 shot who hits the board. Those degenerates who say that they would rather bet on a $8000 claimer are out of their minds.

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

89 Beyer for Uncle Mo in the Timely Writer today.It was probably the result of getting mugged at the break and then going 25.53.....49.58.....1:13.69 but he is going to have to step it up .The Wood Memorial should tell alot more about his development

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

the wood is coming back as a prep race. it had down years. but uncle mo probably won't face much there either. he will win it and everyone and his brother will be betting him in the derby. but like all favorites you should throw him out and try to beat him. always traffic problems in the derby which i still claim is an unbettable race with the 20 horses. maybe you can play around with dimes in the superfecta but serious money shouldn't be used.

dugbug15
    dugbug15's Avatar Become A Pro!

it is a great race for dime supers.i'm assuming dime supers are available for the derby. you can invest less than $20.00 in dime supers and get a payout of $200 or much higher.you could even get $200 wih the fave 1rst or 2nd.also good payouts may be in the offing with pick-3's &4's tying into the derby race.
    good luck to everyone

Thunder Gulch

My idea of a good betting race is a contentious one with many contenders. Sure traffic and racing luck play a part, but by in large the fastest who can handle the distance win. The ability to construct exotics with wheels and keys is key, but to those who can find overlays underneath, a big ticket awaits. IMO, that's the type of race I want to invest heavily in.