Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Big Cap

Twirling Candy looks dazzling, but I think he's way overbet stretching to this distance with other pace horses.

After keying my Preakness trifecta last year, First Dude has let me down more than once, but with this track and Baffert, the price is finally right.

Throw in Spurrier or Setsuko under. Setsuko is probably a stretch, but he was a good spring 3yo, so if you project some development and figure Mandella has him tight for his 3rd race back, he could blow it up at 30-1. Spurrier isn't likely to jump up as a 6yo, but he will run his race and be flying late if they go quick early.

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

I like First Dude alot maybe try to get Gladding or Soul Candy at 30-1 in the EX

daoilman
    daoilman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

http://www1.drf.com/formulator-web/F...rmance-race/10

Race of the day from the Racing Form.

joeyp1222
    joeyp1222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Quote Originally Posted by daoilman View Post
    http://www1.drf.com/formulator-web/f...rmance-race/10

race of the day from the racing form.
    hows your mind?

JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

I'm not sure what price you're expecting but there is a national love-fest going on with First Dude

daoilman

Quote Originally Posted by joeyp1222 View Post
    hows your mind?
    How's my mind? I let you know later, lets check out the phone number payoff they're fixin to put up for the BIG CAP.

mikemca
    Update Status

WOW Congrats to Chantal Sutherland.Huge win for her

ilikebirds
    ilikebirds's Avatar Become A Pro!

this inquiry is killing me.. i hope they change the order. haha.

mikemca
    Update Status

After seeing the replay I don't know how the hell they didn't take the 11 down

exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 324

Because none of the bumping would have happened without Twirling Candy. He went out, then back, and in IMHO, the winner took the worst of it.

daoilman

Did the toteboard blow up?

gtkid911
    Gambling is a marathon
    gtkid911's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Not sure if the stewards made the right call. Thought it deserved a dq!!

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

twirling candy will be in claimers by june. that one will not be a top handicap horse, even in a year where there aren't any decent older horses. fans want older handicap horses banging heads every month or so. there just aren't any anymore. they either save them for the breeders cup classic or retire them to stud.

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points
    Brewers in 7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1303

California Stewards have always been a little different, thay have more controversial decisions than any other tracks ive ever seen. They did vote 2-1 to keep the order the way it was. I only watched it once and from the live view i thought someone would come down.. But Rosario then just wrapped up on Twirling Candy after the bumping, but thats another issue

Thunder Gulch

California stewards are no different from the rest of California- you know, the folks who elected the Terminator to handle the government. They pander to the stars, and Baffert is a star, and they want Chantal to be. The 11 should have come down.

It isn't time to toss Twirling Candy to the curb, but I don't think he's ever going to beat good horses at 10 panels.

Game on Dude ran big, whether you think he should have been taken down or not. Cred to Baffert.

Setsuko ran a huge one at the big price, just tired a little and broke his action when the bumping began. He may be a player in the handicap division.

First Dude is getting worse...he needs to be freshened and run a couple of allowances to learn how to win. Always the winner of the post parade, somebody needs to tap his talent.

JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

The right call was made. Watch it frame by frame.

daoilman

Quote Originally Posted by JakeLc View Post
    The right call was made. Watch it frame by frame.
    Agreed, the bumping was initiated by Twirling Candy who subsequently ran out, no harm, no foul.

Thunder Gulch

Game on Dude went wide off the turn to put TC in tight quarters. Watch the horses behind TC on the replay as they don't go 6 wide off the turn. TC then bumps Setsuko and comes back into Dude, but after Dude takes two strides, he veers sharply to the right initiating the rodeo. TC would have clearly been taken down if on the board, but GD's wide turn and final veer out were enough IMO. You can't just say everything that happens after the first touch is TC's fault, and he was pinched to begin with.

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points

I just watched the replay of the head on of the race and i heard what the stewards said and what sutherland said about being hit from behind 1st, but it really doesnt look like it in the replay, she came over turning for home hitting left handed, crowded TC he went out then came in, but Dude came back over on him and hit him.. watching the superslow mo on TWinspires when they show the view from behind the horses it really looks like Game on Dude came over without TC really making much contact.. I didnt bet the race, and am not a Twirling Candy fan at all, but there is just so much inconsistency with DQ's in racing..

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9566

Switching trainers this late in a horse's career (4-year-old) rarely works. This horse has been a huge disappointment, with only one good race (Preakness) against quality horses. I'd say one more race and he'll be retired. Once they go bad, the breeders don't want to see 4, 5 or 6 bad races in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
    First Dude is getting worse...he needs to be freshened and run a couple of allowances to learn how to win. Always the winner of the post parade, somebody needs to tap his talent.

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points

I wouldnt be surprised if First Dude is retired soon, but they do need to just run through his condtions, get his confidence up in a few allowance races.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9566

Maybe a turf race would wake him up. Can't run any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewers in 7 View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised if First Dude is retired soon, but they do need to just run through his condtions, get his confidence up in a few allowance races.