ClimbSomeRocks
    ClimbSomeRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 259

Winning at the track?

My best thoughts on how to win at the track are to play the cheapest trifectas. Is this still -EV? When I go, it's more for the social outing and cheap beer, but I'm also pretty good at interpreting winning jockeys/trainers as well as looking at the horses. If I'm only betting 50cents on a trifecta I feel like I can make money long term. Not true?

Also, when there is a heavy favorite that I like, do I want a KEY trifecta instead of a box trifecta, and are box trifecta's worse than trying to cap the exact order?

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbSomeRocks View Post
    If I'm only betting 50cents on a trifecta I feel like I can make money long term. Not true? Also, when there is a heavy favorite that I like, do I want a KEY trifecta instead of a box trifecta, and are box trifecta's worse than trying to cap the exact order?
    The answers are "YES" to all of your questions.

(Exacta/perfecta is actually a little more powerful of a wager)

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

cheap beer? sometimes they offer it. but rarely. the denomination of your trifecta bet is only relative to the amount you want to win. yes, you should always key instead of box if you want to bet .50 tri's instead of higher priced bets do it. but you're better off in the exacta/perfecta pool. lower takout and more likely to cash tickets to keep you alive.

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Always find a key for a trifecta, or keys to wheel, but if you just play heavy favorites on top, so does everyone else. Back wheel the favorite in the 2 & 3 slots and you'll have much better prices, though lower percentage of winners.

TonyP
    Update your status
    TonyP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

stick to races that offer value. dont be scared to go deep in these races

dugbug15
    dugbug15's Avatar Become A Pro!

don't up your wagers on a winning ticket.example:if you wagered $2.00 on a trifecta ticket,and,it pays you $100.00.you should keep on wagering $2.00 a race,that your interested in,not more than $2.00. however if you're playing just one track,and,one track only,you can bump up to $4.00 per race for the rest of the card.if you hit again,bet $6.00 per race for the rest of the card.the farther you get into the card, the less races available to wager on.leaving you with a potentially sizeable profit.your putting a floor on your losses,and,no ceiling on your winnings. this tip taken from an article in CARD PLAYER magazine,circa 1980's.
    good luck,hope it helps.

ClimbSomeRocks
    ClimbSomeRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 259

all these posts were very helpful. My issue with exactas is that they don't pay out nearly as well as a trifecta does. I've hit 2 of them, but they only paid me 2-1 or 3-1, plus instead of a min bet of 50 cents, it was a min bet of $2.

The reason I said 'cheap' beer is that it only cost $2.50 on thursdays, and that was the day we went last year after work

josicoyote
    josicoyote's Avatar Become A Pro!

The only thing I have ever won any decent money on was tris and supers but hard to pick. When you box for 10 cent tris the payout can be decent if the longshots come in first.

joeyp1222
    joeyp1222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

if you want to come out a winner at the track for a day, pick out your best 3 races on the card and play the top horse win-place if 3-1 or higher and at the end of the day, you should be ahead only need to hit one good one

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

good system joeyp, but no one has the patience anymore to do it. especially with the advent of simulcasting there is too much action at the local track or otb for anyone. i favor pre-selecting 10 races say for example out of the drf print edition for that day. try to work in as many turf races and large fields as you can. there are easily 10 every day even if you throw out the maidens and half furlong events. now you have a 10 race card tailored to your liking. allot 20.00 per race initially and bet 10.00 win on (no favorites) and use remaining 10.00 in exacta's and exacta boxes with that horse. if you hit one you can plateau your bets higher as you work your way through your 10 race hand picked card. don't let the tracks force you into betting bad races or races you do not like. avoid pik 3's and pik 4's and 6's. i know this goes against a lot of players betting pattern. but i still believe you should only bet the races that you like even if its over 6 tracks on a given day.

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    i know this goes against a lot of players betting pattern. but i still believe you should only bet the races that you like even if its over 6 tracks on a given day.
    I agree with this ... I tend to get rid of most maiden races, any race where more than one first time starter and any races at sloppy tracks or with less than 7 or 8 runners .... then concentrate on sprints and routes seperately as I handicap them differently ...

9 times out of 10 - I'm a straight win only bettor for the races I like - if I'm at the track and want something to watch in a race I've not shortlisted .. i'll do a small exacta .. normally pick three and key the top two over all three.