dogkatcher
    dogkatcher's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23753

Sad news today, Zenyatta no longer in foal.
    Will try another mating with Bernadini in a
    week or two. Apparently this is not uncommon
    in thoroughbreds, but gestation is 342 days, and
    they like to have them foaled early in the year if
    possible.

Gremlin Lad
    Gremlin Lad's Avatar Become A Pro!

WEDNESDAY MARCH 30, 2011

Zardana, who beat Rachel Alexandra in the New Orleans Ladies Stakes at Fair Grounds in March 2010, has been retired from racing because of an ankle issue, according to Daily Racing Form.

In what was her last race, she finished second, beaten a neck by Vision of Gold, in the Santa Maria Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 12. She was being considered for the Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. I) at Oaklawn Park April 15.

Arnold Zetcher, who owns Zardana, plans to have her bred this year.

Zetcher acquired Zardana in 2007 after she had won all three of her races in her native Brazil by a total of 39 lengths.

While racing in North America, Zardana not only upset Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra in the New Orleans Ladies, but won the 2009 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) and two restricted stakes on turf: the 2009 Swingtime Stakes at Oak Tree at Santa Anita and the 2008 Osunitas Handicap at Del Mar. Zardana raced against the great Zenyatta, finishing third to her in the 2010 Vanity Handicap (gr. I). Zardana’s other stakes-placing came in the 2010 Bayakoa. Zardana was retired with eight wins from 24 starts and earnings of $512,276.

In North America, she was trained first by Ron McAnally, and then by John Shirreffs. Foaled in 2004, Zardana is by Crimson Tide out of the Southern Halo mare Dear Filly.

BuckeyeT
    BuckeyeT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Don't mean to jump in on your thread Gremlin but i thought i was losing my mind or it was Tuesday.

I was looking to see what was running at Santa Anita today and didnt see it till i went to there website and read this........

Santa Anita Park will return to a four-day race week beginning this Thursday, March 31, and will operate on a Thursday through Sunday schedule for the remainder of its winter/spring meeting which concludes on April 17.

“Our horse inventory here in Southern California is well below what it has been in recent years,” said Santa Anita President George Haines. “Accordingly, we believe it is in everyone’s best interest to return to a four-day week for the rest of the meet. We want to ensure that we’re offering our fans a quality product and at this time, this is the best way to meet that objective.

First 12