Gremlin Lad
    Gremlin Lad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rachel Alexandra bred to Curlin

Tuesday Feb 22, 2011

Rachel Alexandra's foal will one day sport the same Stonestreet colors that she and Curlin famously carried (JB Faulconer/EquiSport Photos)

RACHEL ALEXANDRA (Medaglia d'Oro), the 2009 Horse of the Year, was bred to CURLIN (Smart Strike), the 2007 and 2008 Horse of the Year and all-time leading North American money-earner, on February Monday at 9 a.m. (EST) at Lane's End Farm near Versailles, Kentucky.

Curlin and Rachel Alexandra are both owned by Jess Jackson and Barbara Banke's Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings. Jackson is the founder and owner of Kendall-Jackson Wine Estates in Santa Rosa, California.

"Rachel Alexandra's 2009 campaign was one for the ages -- one that racing fans will remember throughout time, "Jackson said.
    "Curlin showed the heart of a champion in every race. He did everything we asked of him and more -- taking on ever-more difficult challenges. He won going away, he won coming from behind, he won in the heat and the rain."

"The privilege of owning these horses is like lightning striking twice," Banke said. "Rachel Alexandra and Curlin are true champions; both horses embody that intangible equine ideal that separate mere horse from legend. Both Jess and I are so pleased that these powerful bloodlines will pass to future generations."

"We have been anticipating this introduction for some time now," Jackson summed up. "Imagine what possibilities those two super horses might produce."

www.brisnet.com

Rio DiNero
    using no way as way
    Rio DiNero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 218

Talk about a super horse.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Can't wait to see the price on this one.

Covy
    Covy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1430

Looks like records will be broken after this horse is sold. I wonder how many millions the horse will sell for.

JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

He's going to sell the foal?

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

The old saying in the horse breeding biz - breed the best to the best and hope for the best - probably never applied more.

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points
    Brewers in 7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1303

yea i can't see them selling the foal, wouldnt make sense...

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

No they are not selling.

gtkid911
    Gambling is a marathon
    gtkid911's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Ya no way they would sell the foal. the lineage alone is worth keeping for breeding purpose.

Jankar
    Jankar's Avatar Become A Pro!

that intangible equine ideal that separate mere horse from legend

Gremlin Lad
    Gremlin Lad's Avatar Become A Pro!

WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 23, 2011

Two horses crowned as Horse of the Year were bred Feb. 21, 2011, when female superstar Rachel Alexandra was mated with the stallion Curlin.

The mating took place at 9 a.m. (EST) at William S. Farish's Lane’s End Farm near Versailles, Ky. Rachel Alexandra, the 2009 Horse of the Year, was raced by Jess Jackson and Barbara Banke’s Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings and Harold T. McCormick. Stonestreet also campaigned Curlin, Horse of the Year in 2007 and 2008 who stands at Lane’s End.

“It was just a very routine visit,” said Farish. “She accepted him and he her. We are very excited to have her and, of course, Zenyatta, who could be bred within the next week.”

Zenyatta, the reigning Horse of the Year boarded at Lane’s End, is booked to Bernardini, who stands at Sheikh Mohammed’s Darley.

“The privilege of owning these horses is like lightning striking twice,” Banke said in a statement. “Rachel Alexandra and Curlin are true champions; both horses embody that intangible equine ideal that separate mere horse from legend. Both Jess and I are so pleased that these powerful bloodlines will pass to future generations.”

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

This relationship will never last.

madmaxx
    madmaxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Another Green Monkey in the making

ukbro00
    ukbro00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    Another Green Monkey in the making
    I guess you've never seen the breeding of The Green Monkey. He was worth about 100k on bloodlines.

JakeLc

Rachel's dam Lotta Kim has had a lot of bad luck with foals.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Quote Originally Posted by JakeLc View Post
    Rachel's dam Lotta Kim has had a lot of bad luck with foals.
    Is that the same bloodline as Klassy Kim, used to love that horse. All out on the lead every time. 1st or BUST!!

JakeLc

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    Is that the same bloodline as Klassy Kim, used to love that horse. All out on the lead every time. 1st or BUST!!
    I'm not 100% positive but I don't think they're closely related.
    They might be in some distant way I don't know about.