Gremlin Lad
    Gremlin Lad's Avatar Become A Pro!

February 2011 horse racing news

Wednesday 2-02-2011

Half way thru Winter .........

Storm forces Aqueduct cancellation

With another major storm bringing rain, sleet and icy conditions, Aqueduct has canceled live racing on Wednesday. A decision concerning simulcasting at Aqueduct and the Belmont Café will be made Wednesday morning.

Aqueduct has now canceled four times in 2011, and Wednesday will be the fifth since the inner-track meet started in early December.

Also, Philadephia Park (PARX) has had to cancel numerous race cards because the weather is wrecking havoc with the race track.

Racing was also canceled at Beulah Park, Parx Racing and Penn National on Tuesday due to the major winter storm engulfing much of the Midwest and Northeastern United States...

Gremlin Lad

The Maryland Jockey Club announced tickets for the 2011 Preakness public Infield went on sale beginning Tuesday. The 136th annual event will take place May 21 at historic Pimlico Race Course. Tickets will be $40 in advance through Ticketmaster or the Preakness Ticket Sales Office and increase to $50 Preakness week (starting May 16). The MUG Club package is $60 in advance and $70 Preakness week. Seating information and ticket reservation are available at preakness.com. Tickets can be bought by calling the Preakness sales office at 410-542-9400 or 877-206-8042, extension 300, or at ticketmaster.com.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-05-14 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Bad Link - Removed

dugbug15
    dugbug15's Avatar Become A Pro!

i would like to cancel also.but,nobody else will clear my walk and driveway if i do .winter sucks.

Gremlin Lad

Wednesday 2-02-2011

Coa arrested in South Florida:

By Matt Hegarty
    Daily Racing Form

Jockey Eibar Coa plans to ride at Gulfstream Park on Wednesday after spending Monday in a South Florida jail cell on charges of domestic battery, his agent, Tito Fuentes, said on Tuesday.

Read More at:

sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=6081937&campaign=rss&source=HOR SEHeadlines
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-06-14 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Bad Link - Removed

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

[quote=Gremlin Lad;8635827]Wednesday 2-02-2011 Coa arrested in South Florida: By Matt Hegarty Daily Racing Form Jockey Eibar Coa plans to ride at Gulfstream Park on Wednesday after spending Monday in a South Florida jail cell on charges of domestic battery, his agent, Tito Fuentes, said on Tuesday. Read More at:

Hope he gets the shyt kicked out of him
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-06-14 at 08:40 AM.

Gremlin Lad

UPCOMING STAKES
    Thursday, February 3

Sky Beauty S., Aqueduct, $60,000, 4&up, f&m, 1m.

Saturday, February 5

DONN H. (G1), Gulfstream Park, $500,000, 4&up, 1 1/8m.

GULFSTREAM PARK TURF H. (G1), Gulfstream Park, $300,000, 4&up, 1 1/8mT.

LAS VIRGENES S. (G1), Santa Anita, $250,000, 3yo, f, 1m.

STRUB S. (G2), Santa Anita, $200,000, 4yo, 1 1/8m.

SUWANNEE RIVER S. (G3), Gulfstream Park, $150,000, 4&up, f&m, 1 1/8mT.

THUNDER ROAD H. (G3), Santa Anita, $100,000, 4&up, 1mT.

Louisiana Premier Night Championship (r), Delta Downs, $200,000, 4&up, 1 1/16m.

Louisiana Premier Night Distaff (r), Delta Downs, $150,000, 4&up, f&m, 1m.

Whirlaway S., Aqueduct, $100,000, 3yo, 1 1/16m.

Essex H., Oaklawn Park, $100,000, 4&up, 1 1/16m.

Louisiana Premier Night Matron (r), Delta Downs, $100,000, 4&up, f&m, 5f.

Louisiana Premier Night Prince (r), Delta Downs, $100,000, 3yo, 7f.

Louisiana Premier Night Sprint (r), Delta Downs, $100,000, 4&up, 5f.

Louisiana Premier Night Starlet (r), Delta Downs, $100,000, 3yo, f, 7f.

Louisiana Premier Night Gentleman Starter (r), Delta Downs, $70,000, 4&up, 1 1/16m.

Louisiana Premier Night Ladies Starter (r), Delta Downs, $70,000, 4&up, f&m, 1m.

Black Gold S., Fair Grounds, $60,000, 3yo, 6f.

Tiffany Lass S., Fair Grounds, $60,000, 3yo, f, 6f.

Louisiana Premier Night Bon Temps Starter (r), Delta Downs, $55,000, 4&up, f&m, 5f.

Louisiana Premier Night Ragin Cajun Starter (r), Delta Downs, $55,000, 4&up, 5f.

Marshua S., Laurel Park, $50,000, 3yo, f, 6f.

Jersey Lily S., Sam Houston, $50,000, 4&up, f&m, 1 1/16mT.

Budweiser H., Sunland Park, $50,000, 3&up, 5f.

Super S., Tampa Bay Downs, $50,000, 4&up, 7f.

WEBN S., Turfway Park, $50,000, 3yo, 1m.

Sunday, February 6

SAN ANTONIO S. (G2), Santa Anita, $150,000, 4&up, 1 1/8m.

Hallandale Beach S., Gulfstream Park, $100,000, 3yo, 1 1/16mT.

Gremlin Lad

Wednesday February 2, 2011

Owner-Breeder Prince Saud bin Khaled Dies

bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/61093/owner-breeder-prince-saud-bin-khaled-dies
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-06-14 at 08:41 AM.

Gremlin Lad

Pimlico to Have 22 Stakes Worth $2.9 Million

Read more: bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/61103/pimlico-to-have-22-stakes-worth-29-million#ixzz1CqQBwa1U

Gremlin Lad

Turbulent Descent takes to dirt in Las Virgenes

Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 5:16 PM

thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2011/02/02/turbulent-descent-takes-to-dirt-in-las-virgenes.aspx

Gremlin Lad

Stronach takes control of racetracks

Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:18 PM

by Ed DeRosa

Following an agreement with the board of directors of the company he founded, Frank Stronach will take control of the racetrack assets of MI Developments Inc. in exchange for he and his family’s controlling stake in the real estate company.

The racetrack assets include Santa Anita Park, Golden Gate Fields, Gulfstream Park, Portland Meadows, and interests in the Maryland Jockey Club, XpressBet, and AmTote. Stronach will operate those assets independent of MI Developments, though that company will contribute cash toward the operation of those assets until the closing of the reorganization proposal.

For its part, MI Developments will retain its income-producing real estate property business and will be restricted from engaging in or having an interest—directly or indirectly—in any business relating to horse racing or gaming. Also, the MI Developments Board of Directors will be comprised of directors elected by shareholders.

The formal valuation of the racetrack assets Stronach is taking control of is between $585-million and $730-million. The arrangement requires approval by the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. If approved, the agreement could close as early as June 30.

MI Developments had taken control of the racetrack assets in spring 2010 when Magna Entertainment Corp. dissolved following bankruptcy. Both MI Developments and Magna Entertainment had been spun off automotive parts manufacturer Magna International Inc. Stronach, who won the Eclipse Award as outstanding breeder for 2010, founded all three companies.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-06-14 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Bad Link - Removed

Gremlin Lad

Eldaafer Brings High Expectations into Donn

02/02/2011
    By Ed Gray For Gulfstreampark.com

HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – It’s only natural for someone who claims a horse to expect to be able to improve upon its performance for its previous connections. It was also only natural for people to dismiss as utterly unreasonable Mansour Albaroudy’s wild expectations for his $20,000 claim in 2009.

“The day I claimed him, I told them I’m going to win the Breeders’ Cup with him. They laughed at me,” said Albaroudy, recalling the day he claimed Eldaafer from Shadwell Stable and trainer Kiaran McLaughlin at Aqueduct. “I knew it from the day I claimed the horse.”

Albaroudy proved prophetic nearly two years later when Eldaafer captured the $500,000 Breeders’ Cup Marathon (G3) at Churchill Downs last November.

A victory in the Breeders’ Cup would generally be regarded as a career achievement, especially for a horse claimed for $20,000, but not for Albaroudy.

“I don’t think I’ve seen the best of this horse yet,” he said.

Bigger and better things are expected of Eldaafer, who will make his start in a Grade 1 stakes in Saturday’s $500,000 Donn Handicap at Gulfstream Park. But don’t think that Albaroudy is taking any of his 6-year-old gelding’s accomplishments thus far for granted.

“I was blessed with this horse,” he said.

He is also thankful for the hands-on attention Eldaafer has received from Diane Alvarado, who exercises as well as trains a 10-horse stable at Gulfstream.

“She works hard. She gets on her horses. She cares about them individually. How can I ask for more? Any trainer can go and say to the exercise rider, ‘You’re going to breeze in one minute or :58. She gets on the horse and feels what she has under her,” Albaroudy said. “She communicates with her animals. That’s what makes her special.”

Eldaafer is the first horse Albaroudy bought in this country after emigrating from his native Lebanon in 2003 to open Phoenician Palace, a Middle Eastern restaurant in Warrick, N.Y. The son of A.P. Indy and the Tabasco Cat-sired Habbti had won once in four starts before scoring by more than seven lengths in the fateful $20,000 claiming race at Aqueduct on Jan. 23.

“I knew the horse. I saw him when he broke his maiden. I know the blood and when I saw him for ‘20,’ I claimed him,” said Albaroudy, who now owns seven horses. “I claim off (Todd) Pletcher, McLaughlin. When I claim horses, I’m not scared. I believe I have the best trainer. Why should I be scared?”

Despite the low claiming price, Albaroudy bought himself a sound horse, but a horse who requires extra attention from his trainer, whose stable goat, Google, has become such fast friends with Eldaafer that he travels with him

“Soundness-wise, he’s got no issues. He’s a big solid horse. He’s not tall, but it’s like sitting on a bull. He’s all shoulder. He’s just a solid horse,” said Alvarado, who took over the training of Eldaafer 15 days before he captured the 2009 Brooklyn Handicap (G2) at Belmont Park. “The most important thing is keeping him happy. He gets bored.”

Eldaafer isn’t given much time to get bored by his 33-year-old trainer, who is always looking to change up his routine to keep him interested. The Kentucky-bred gelding has proven to be extremely adaptable to change, including the ability to handle all surfaces. Eldaafer will bring a three-race winning streak into the Donn, each triumph accomplished on a different surface. Prior to his Marathon win on Churchill’s conventional dirt track, he won a turf allowance at Laurel and the Turfway Park Fall Championship (G3) on a synthetic track.

“Diane has turned him around,” Albaroudy said.

Eldaafer will have plenty of competition to keep his attention in the Donn, which will also be contested by the Nick Zito-trained duo of Fly Down and Morning Line, the Todd Pletcher-trained Rule, the Doug O’Neill-trained Square Eddie.

Not that Albaroudy is intimidated.

“I’m never afraid of any competition. I believe my horse is one of the best. Why should I be scared? If he was ready, I was going to run him against Zenyatta,” he said. “I believe if my horse is ready to run, I’m not afraid of anybody.”
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-06-14 at 08:42 AM.

Gremlin Lad

Cuomo proposes 2.75% surcharge on N.Y. purses

Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 1:51 PM

thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2011/02/01/cuomo-proposes-surcharge-on-ny-purses.aspx
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-06-14 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Bad Link - Removed

Gremlin Lad

February Feb 4, 2011

The 2011 Kentucky Derby (G1) chase is a month old and the early favorite, unbeaten Breeders' Cup Juvenile (G1) winner UNCLE MO (Indian Charlie), recorded his first workout last Sunday at Palm Meadows, breezing three furlongs in :39 4/5. He's being pointed to the 1 1/16-mile Tampa Bay Derby (G2) on March 12.

We have races to recap from January, but let's begin with a look back at some top horses from last year.

The Derby is 13 weeks from Saturday.

Gremlin Lad

INSIGHTS
    FEBRUARY 4, 2011
    by Dick Powell

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Martin Glenn dismissed a final objection to the Chapter 9 Municipal reorganization of New York City OTB that was filed by the union that represents most of its workers. New York City OTB has ceased operations, has no workers and has disbursed whatever cash it had left to cover outstanding checks.

What was once the nation's largest, legal bookmaking operation is no more. The gory details of what happened are left for others. But, having grown up in New York City when the OTB began, its presence provided a lot of memories that are still vivid almost 40 years later.

The New York State legislature enabled the creation of off-track betting in 1971, and branches soon sprung up throughout the five boroughs. I grew up in Staten Island and we wound up having one of the first OTB parlors in the city.

Back then, the concept of OTB was to provide a venue to make a bet on a New York race if you could not make it out to the track. Each OTB parlor had a security guard whose job was to enforce the "no loitering" policy that was in effect. You went inside to make a bet and then you left. Since there was a race about every half hour, this meant that a lot of people had nowhere to go in between since they could not hang out inside the OTB parlor.

Outside the OTB parlor was a mass of horseplayers. There was a methadone treatment clinic right up the street. It was hard to tell the different clientele. OTB was meant to be inconvenient betting and we all hung out on the sidewalk or in the park with the methadone clinic regulars. Already, the image of OTB was beginning to develop and it was not real pretty.

The Stapleton OTB was on a number of bus lines and there was a train station down the street so the parlor was easily accessible. I don't know whose idea it was to put it there but it was brilliant as it hit the right demographic. Betting was part of the fabric of life on Staten Island and OTB fit right in.

During this time, racing in New York probably had its greatest decade. Harness racing at Yonkers and Roosevelt was thriving and NYRA had a decade that was immortal with three Triple Crown winners and all-time greats like Ruffian and Forego racing there. OTB business boomed during this time as racing was still a major league sport and was covered as such.

For the first decade of operation, OTB probably was a net positive on horse racing. Even though they didn't pay anywhere near their fair share to the racing industry, they brought horse racing to more people than ever before. There used to be an OTB parlor at the bottom of the escalator going down into Penn Station off Seventh Avenue in Manhattan that was packed every day. Not anymore.

As time went by, OTB, with a very big foot in the door, began to lobby for a different business model. Eventually, the no loitering policy was eliminated so you could actually hang out in the parlor. Tape-delayed audio calls of the races began so you could hear Chick Anderson or Dave Johnson call the races. It wasn't in real time but who cared. They were the only game in town and you used your imagination and the racecaller's skill to paint your own video picture of the race.

OTB used to sponsor a Saturday afternoon television show from NYRA that showed the feature race and the ninth race triple. Hosted by Frank Wright along with Charlsie Cantey, it gave a lot of us an education in horse racing. On Thursday and Saturday nights, Stan Bergstein hosted a similar show devoted to harness racing that showcased all the big harness races run in New York.

Harvey Pack became famous in New York City for his re-creation of horse races on WNBC radio. He would wait for the race to be official and when the chart was made available, he would re-create the race as if it was live. When perennial runner-up Jacques Who finally broke his maiden, Pack added trumpets blaring as if he won the Kentucky Derby (G1) itself. Racing was fun and even cool with its hip marketing campaign.

Gradually, it all went wrong. The tracks and horsemen wanted more revenue from OTB wagering. OTB relented but demanded more racing. Year-round racing, which was unheard of back then (winter racing was conducted at Bowie Race Course in Maryland) began around 1977 as OTB got what it wanted. Eventually, OTB received live audio calls and eventually video was installed in the parlors as technology make it possible. The end result was giving horseplayers more reasons not to go to the track.

And, it was not all OTB's fault. New York City had a period of financial collapse and the infrastructure for mass transit and auto travel began to crumble. Getting around the City got harder and harder and more expensive every year. Going to the track became a major effort.

During one of the first financial crises, New York City government petitioned the State Legislature to charge a 5 percent surcharge on winning bets. To show you how disingenuous politicians are, they claimed that it would raise $200 million for the city coffers. Nothing of the sort happened other than horseplayers suffered the first major takeout increase that had endured in years. When the financial crisis passed, do you think the politicians repealed the surcharge?

Tele-theater legislation was passed in the 1980s which allowed a customer to pay an admission and receive track odds. They had food and beverages and were designed to spend the day in. Manhattan had three at one point but Staten Island got nothing. We were always out of sync politically with the rest of the city and even though it would have been a huge hit, it never happened. The Stapleton branch began to suffer and the overall image of OTB parlors in New York City was about one step ahead of homeless shelters in the eyes of the non-racing public.

Phone betting helped bring a resurgence of business but most customers had to pay the dreaded surcharge. OTB worked out a deal with NYRA that enabled them to show the races in-home via cable TV in exchange for more revenue. It worked for a while but all it did was take more customers away from the track.

New York City OTB went out of business for a lot of reasons and has left a void. Some business went to NYRA and it's been great to hear about Aqueduct actually having a viable business again with real bodies in the building.

Despite all of its faults, New York City OTB did create a lot of racing fans -- one of which I am quite familiar with.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I did some TV work for New York City OTB sometimes when they were up here at Saratoga and still do television work for Capital OTB.)

Gremlin Lad

Saturday February 5, 2011

Turbulent Descent Tries Dirt in Las Virgenes

Updated: Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:54 AM
    Posted: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:31 PM

Read morbloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/61118/turbulent-descent-tries-dirt-in-las-virgenes#ixzz1D5jMoNMr

Gremlin Lad

Saturday February 5, 2011

Winter weather forces Oaklawn, Penn to call off weekend racing

The winter weather continues to cost tracks live race dates as officials at Oaklawn Park and Penn National have canceled for the upcoming weekend.

Overall, Oaklawn Park has lost six days because of weather since the start of the meet, including opening day. The Hot Springs venue was dealt another rough hand by Mother Nature in the form of snow Friday morning, forcing the track to cancel its entire weekend of racing. The latest cancellations follow ones Thursday and Friday due to frigid temperatures and a frozen racetrack.

"There is no doubt that the weather has wreaked havoc on the racetrack, but we also took the safety of our patrons, horsemen and employees into consideration," said David Longinotti, Oaklawn's assistant general manager of racing. "We were hopeful that we could race Saturday and Sunday because the forecast is for warming temperatures, but after this latest blow, we had no choice but to cancel.

"We wanted to make this call early for the convenience of our horsemen and visitors, who may have been traveling this weekend."

Oaklawn remains open for simulcasting over the weekend, but live racing is not scheduled to return until Thursday, with a 1:30 p.m. (CST) first post.
    The $100,000 Essex H., originally scheduled for Saturday, will now be either February 12 or 13.

The week's barrage of winter storms also claimed another racing victim with the cancellation of Friday and Saturday's live racing programs at Penn National Race Course.

"The storm on Wednesday in our area was freezing rain and ice, and then above freezing temperatures on Thursday put us into a freeze-thaw cycle that is very hard on the racing surface," said Mark Loewe, vice president of racing. "You can't remove ice like it was a layer of snow, and when it thaws in the daytime, and then freezes up at night, there are problems."

Weather reports for the Central Pennsylvania area call for light snow late Friday and then a mix of snow and freezing rain on Saturday.

"After consulting with our horsemen, we will not scrap the weekend programs but rather move the Friday and Saturday cards, as drawn, over to next Monday and Tuesday, respectively."

The winter weather has even reached as far south as Houston, where Sam Houston Race Park canceled Friday's night card. The weather has created dangerous conditions on the track's two racing surfaces as well as slick conditions for drivers. The track remained open for simulcast operations, and live racing is expected to resume on Saturday.

sq764
    sq764's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can't believe Parx racing cancels about every other day.. whats the point

Gremlin Lad

"Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything."Vince Lombardi

Gremlin Lad

OTB system to be focus of N.Y. Senate committee meeting

Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 3:34 PM

by Paul Post

The fate of New York’s troubled off-track betting system is expected to take center stage at a Monday hearing of the state Senate’s Standing Committee on Racing, Gaming and Wagering.

Racing stakeholders, by invitation only, will share their views on a variety of topics confronting the industry, from 10:30 a.m. EST to 1:30 p.m. in Albany.

Committee Chairman John Bonacic (R-Mt. Hope) said implementing a more efficient off-track betting system is the state’s most pressing need.

New York City OTB, which handled $750-million in wagers annually, closed December 8 after a year in bankruptcy.

Bonacic said at least four remaining of the five regional off-track betting entities should be consolidated, either fully or partially, or that an outside firm should be brought in to develop the off-track betting product on a statewide or near-statewide platform, such as a television network or account deposit wagering company.

“I think you will see some consolidation this year,” he said. “Western OTB is different since they own their own track [Batavia Downs].”

The hearing is expected to cover many issues.

“Addressing out-of-state ADWs has been done in other states,” Bonacic said. “I want to make sure ADW companies which operate out of New York state and take bets from New Yorkers on New York racing contribute to our racing community.”

Off-track betting officials have said they are at a competitive disadvantage to out-of-state ADWs that are not subject to state fees and can offer rewards and incentives to attract bettors.

Bonacic said he wants to get legislation passed to address this particular issue.

In other matters, Bonacic said he will ask the New York State Racing and Wagering Board to embark on a fan education and development project. He also ranked bringing the Breeders’ Cup back to New York next year as a chief goal.

Paul Post is a New York-based correspondent for Thoroughbred Times

Gremlin Lad

Track owner Penn National sees little pari-mutuel future

Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 5:57 PM

While the company’s name still references a racetrack, Penn National Gaming Chairman Peter Carlino made it clear on Thursday that he believes pari-mutuel wagering has dried up, even at tracks with added gaming.

In a conference call with investors and analysts, Carlino said his company no longer will argue that adding slot machines at tracks is a way to improve pari-mutuel handle. He said that when the company lobbies for slots at tracks, it will move to new arguments—including the ability of racetrack slots to promote agri-business—because he believes increased purses do not improve the quality of racing or increase pari-mutuel handle.

“There aren’t sufficient numbers of racing customers in the world anymore because they died,” Carlino said.

Carlino said everyone realizes Penn National’s approach has been to buy tracks that have added gaming or have a chance to add gaming. In Maryland, where Penn National owns a 49% interest in Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course, a percentage of gaming revenues supports purses. Carlino expressed frustration that tracks currently are left out of that equation.

“A huge mistake in Maryland—that’s never happened anywhere else anywhere in the country before—was to allocate slots proceeds to purses,” Carlino said. “I’m glad that horses are going to be eating well, but they’re not going to be running well if there’s no racetracks where they can run. The legislature completely ignored the people who have the real investment in the state, the racetracks.”

Carlino said Pennsylvania’s model for racinos, which he said included large licensing fees upfront and low taxes going forward, is the best. He encouraged Ohio Gov. John Kasich to consider a similar model.

“There is reasonable hope, if not an expectation, that [Governor Kasich] may recognize the advantage of protecting the racing industry in Ohio--which has a long history and needs help--and using that opportunity--since it’s already keyed up and ready to go--to generate revenue perhaps with license fees up front and a reasonable tax rate,” Carlino said.

Carlino said his company has begun to lobby in Texas with the hope that legislators will consider taking action this year. Penn National owns a half-interest in Sam Houston Race Park.

In Ohio, where Penn National owns Beulah Park near Columbus, Carlino speculated the state could allow racing licenses to be moved to areas that will not compete with the state’s planned free-standing casinos in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Toledo. Carlino said Penn National is emphasizing that with racetrack slots sustaining racing, states pick up important, environmentally friendly agri-business.

Penn National tracks without added gaming will face cutbacks.

“Operating these tracks at a loss is not in our long-term plan,” Carlino said. “We will ratchet down costs in Texas. We will ratchet down costs in Maryland. We’ll do whatever it takes. We’ll be tough and brutal about that because we have to. We’re not running a public charity.”

Frank Angst is senior writer for Thoroughbred Times

Gremlin Lad

Monday Night, February 7, 2011
    NYRA, Genting push for full casino gaming

Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 3:56 PM

thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2011/02/07/nyra-hayward-casino.aspx

Partial

In another matter, NYRA’s account wagering business in January 2011 doubled over the same time a year ago following New York City Off Track Betting Corp.’s closure in December. NYRA’s account wagering revenue will be greater than all five of the state’s remaining off-track betting companies combined this year.

“If you’re looking for one operator of account deposit wagering, I suggest that it should be NYRA,” Hayward said.

While stopping short of a complete NYRA takeover, Hayward said New York’s Thoroughbred and harness tracks collectively should be allowed to control the off-track betting product similar to other states such as Pennsylvania, Indiana and Arizona.

However, Capital Region OTB president John Signor asked why NYRA, which hasn’t realized a profit in years, should be allowed to take over his organization, which operates in the black every year and returns millions of dollars to local government.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-06-14 at 08:43 AM.

Gremlin Lad

Katie Mikolay, Fair Grounds' racing analyst and television personality, picked the first eight winners on top during Sunday's (2/06/11) nine-race program at the Crescent City oval.

Among the winners comprising her eight-bagger was True (Yes It's True), who paid $13.20 to win in the 7TH race.

In the race in which she failed to pick the winner on top, her top selection finished second and her second choice won the race, crediting Mikolay with the exacta box.

The native of Chicago, Illinois, is enjoying her first season as Fair Grounds' paddock hostess...

Gremlin Lad

2/7/11 - 2/8/11

Blizzard conditions ! 4 - 8 inches of snow with 30 - 40 mph wind gusts for the Catskill Mtns down towards "Bean" Town.

Feb 7 NIGHTCloudy with snow. Low near 25F. Winds light and variable. Chance of snow 90%. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.Feb 8 TUESDAY DAYTIMEWindy. Snow during the morning will taper to a few snow showers during the afternoon. Morning high of 26F with temps falling to near 15F. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 70%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.Feb 8 TUESDAY NIGHT Partly cloudy skies with gusty winds. Wind chills approaching -15F. Low -1F. Winds W at 20 to 30 mph.

Gremlin Lad

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 8, 2011

Trainer Todd Pletcher sent 2-year-old champion Uncle Mo through an easy four-furlong breeze at Palm Meadows Sunday, Feb. 6, the colt’s second work since winning the Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I) at Churchill Downs in November. Repole Stable’s undefeated son of Indian Charlie completed the half-mile in :49 3/5. “I thought he worked excellent,” Pletcher said. “Last week, he just had an easy three-eighths, and I was actually surprised how much he moved forward off of just that one easy work.” Uncle Mo, who has won his three lifetime races by a combined 23 1/4 lengths, is widely considered the early favorite for the 2011 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and is working toward his 2011 debut. “His work this morning was pretty much a textbook half-mile,” said Pletcher, who has not specified Uncle Mo's next race. “He went nice and easy and galloped out really strong. He came back not tired at all. He’ll likely go another half-mile next week.”

Gremlin Lad

Wednesday February 9, 2011

Life At Ten investigation includes extensive testing, interviews

Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:15 PM

by Frank Angst

thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2011/02/09/life-at-ten-investigation.aspx
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-06-14 at 08:44 AM.

Gremlin Lad

Oaklawn cancels Thursday’s live card

Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:29 AM

The winter weather continued to wreck havoc on Oaklawn Park as the track was forced to cancel Thursday’s live card - 2/10/2011 - after four inches of snow blanketed the area through 10 a.m. CST on Wednesday. It is the seventh cancellation of the season for the Hot Springs, Arkansas track.

Track official are confident that live racing will return starting Friday. Saturday’s card includes the $75,000 Martha Washington Stakes and the $100,000 Essex Handicap, which was rescheduled from February 5.

“I’m starting to feel like the movie Groundhog Day,” said David Longinotti, Oaklawn’s assistant general manager. “We certainly hate to cancel, but this heavy snow fall leaves us no choice. We are fortunate that we have a great group of horsemen and racing officials that understand the challenges this weather has cause for our track. Looking at the forecast, we are very encouraged for the other three days of racing this week.”

Gremlin Lad

Churchill Downs will offer three future wagering pools for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) and one future wager for the Kentucky Oaks (G1).

Future wagers, including win bets and exactas, on the Derby will be offered from

February 12-14,

March 5-7,

March 26-28.

In a significant change, all Derby and Oaks future pools will consist of three days of wagering. Previous pools for both wagers were open for four days.

For the second straight year, future exacta wagers can be made on the Derby, which will be held on May 1.

The future wager on the Oaks, which does not offer exactas, will take place on March 5-7

All bets are minimum $2 wagers and there are no refunds.

Gremlin Lad

Friday, February 11, 2011

Brethren to make stakes debut in Sam F. Davis
    Brethren, shown winning his Belmont debut, is a half-brother to Kentucky Derby victor Super Saver(NYRA/Adam Coglianese)Having a seasonal debut over the deep, tiring Tampa Bay Downs strip worked out pretty well in the long run for eventual Kentucky Derby (G1) winner Super Saver last year. On Saturday, Super Saver's three-year-old half-brother BRETHREN (Distorted Humor) will take his first step toward potentially emulating his now-retired older sibling when making his sophomore bow in the $225,000 Sam F. Davis S. (G3) at 1 1/16 miles.

A field of 10 three-year-olds will line up for the Davis, the major local prep for the March 12 Tampa Bay Derby (G2). Local fans hoping to catch a glimpse of the undefeated Brethren, who breaks from post 10, will likely have only the single opportunity on Saturday as the Tampa Bay Derby has been circled as the likely return spot for Brethren's Todd Pletcher-trained stablemate, juvenile champion Uncle Mo (Indian Charlie).

Brethren, who will have his third different rider in as many races when Ramon Dominguez takes the reins for the Davis, edged Black N Beauty (Devil His Due) in his six-furlong debut at Belmont Park on October 16, then followed up with a one-mile allowance score at Churchill Downs by 1 3/4 lengths in late November. Having raced close to the pace in New York, Brethren took more dirt in his face last time when rallying from seventh and might be forced to employ similar stalk-and-pounce tactics breaking outside with a short run to the first turn.

MONZON (Thunder Gulch) has spent two-thirds of his brief career running on grass, but is undefeated in two starts on dirt heading into the Sam Davis. His first attempt was a 12 1/2-length maiden triumph at Laurel, and last time the gelding rallied from 10 lengths back to win the January 1 Count Fleet S. at Aqueduct by a length. Among the vanquished was Pants on Fire (Jump Start), a head second in the Lecomte S. (G3) in his next start.

BEAMER (Vindication) returns to the sight of his 5 1/2-length maiden triumph for trainer Carl Nafzger, who took the 2007 Tampa Bay Derby (G3) with champion and subsequent Derby hero Street Sense. Beamer exits a Gulfstream allowance contested in the slop where he finished third, beaten 12 1/2 lengths, by the exciting Soldat (War Front).

Trainer Kenny McPeek sends WASHINGTON'S RULES (Roman Ruler) to Tampa on the heels of a one-length maiden score over a mile at Gulfstream on January 22. It was the first outing for the gelding since his second-place finish to subsequent Hopeful S. (G1) runner-up Stay Thirsty (Bernardini) in his August 14 debut at Saratoga.

The remainder of the field will have form to find to upset the aforementioned quartet. Last-out Calder graduate ADULARE (Flatter) might be the most promising of a group that includes stakes winners REPRIZED HALO (Halo's Image), TOO EXPERIENCE (Drewman) and RIBO BOBO (Louis Quatorze), all of whom have been rather exposed. The field is rounded out by WATCH ME GO (West Acre) and LITIGATE (Closing Argument), the top two finishers in a one-turn allowance/optional claimer at Tampa last month.

from www.brisnet.com

Gremlin Lad

NYRA unveils Belmont 143 logo
    (Courtesy of NYRA)The New York Racing Association (NYRA) on Thursday unveiled the logo for the 143rd running of the Belmont S. (G1), the 1 1/2-mile "Test of the Champion," the longest and final leg of Thoroughbred racing's Triple Crown for three-year-olds.

The 2011 Belmont Stakes logo features Belmont's sweeping oval encircling a stylized version of the New York City skyline punctuated by the historic Empire State Building.

Superimposed before the track, which is illuminated by "Broadway lights," is the Statue of Liberty overwritten by "Belmont Stakes."

The 2011 Belmont Stakes logo was designed by Eric Johnston of Art Design Studios.

The 143rd running of the $1 million Belmont Stakes will be held June 11, 2011.

from www.Brisnet.com
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-06-14 at 08:44 AM.

Gremlin Lad

Friday, February 11, 2011

The New York Racing Association (NYRA) announced that retired jockey Richard Migliore, who won more than 4,400 races over a career spanning three decades, will join the organization as a broadcast analyst and racing office associate, serving in a number of different roles.

As a broadcast analyst, Migliore will appear on a variety of NYRA TV program offerings. In support of the racing office, the 46-year old New York native will participate in the Apprentice Program, in which he will work with apprentices on riding skills, race strategies and safe riding practices. Migliore will also help conduct seminars for new and prospective Thoroughbred owners to encourage broader participation in the industry, and help NYRA's community outreach programs by appearing at various local events. Migliore will also continue his current role as a television analyst on HRTV.

"As a native New Yorker and someone who grew up attending and riding at the NYRA tracks, to come back and work here is great," Migliore said. "It is a very exciting time for New York racing and I'm looking forward to helping the company in a variety of different roles."

Migliore, who was born in 1964 and grew up on Long Island, got a job on a horse farm near his home and decided he was going to be a jockey at age 12. He began riding in 1980, and in 1981 won the Eclipse Award as the nation's top apprentice with 298 victories. Twice the leading rider in New York -- in 1981 and 1985 -- Migliore won or tied as leading rider at 10 different NYRA meets, most recently taking the 2005 Aqueduct spring meet. A fixture on the NYRA circuit, Migliore announced his retirement on June 2, 2010.

"The Mig," as he was known, rode 4,450 winners of more than $160 million. Some of his biggest victories came later in his career, including his first Breeders' Cup race in 2008 aboard Turf Sprint winner Desert Code, and in 2009 capturing the Gazelle S. (G1) and Test S. (G1) aboard Flashing. In all, he won 362 stakes, including 25 Grade 1 races...

Gremlin Lad

Apprentice jockey Abel Cedillo and journeyman Victor Espinoza were injured as a result of a spill on the clubhouse turn during the first race at Santa Anita Feb. 10. Cedillo, who remained conscious, was taken immediately to Arcadia Methodist Hospital for examination. There was no immediate word on his condition. Espinoza, who was taken to the track’s First Aid Station, sustained what appeared to be a significant abrasion to his forehead but was not hospitalized. Although he took off of his remaining mounts, Espinoza said that he intended to ride at Santa Anita Feb. 11. Cedillo’s mount in the one-mile claiming race for older fillies and mares, Saint's Crown, was at the rail in second position approaching the 6 ½-furlong pole when he clipped the heels of the pacesetter, Sky Brite Miss, and lost Cedillo as she went down. Espinoza, who was trailing the early leaders along the rail aboard Lucy Got Lucky, collided with the prone Saint’s Crown and the jockey was also unseated. As a result of the collision, Lucy Got Lucky sustained what Santa Anita steward Tom Ward characterized as an “open fracture” and was euthanized.

Gremlin Lad

Sunday, Feb 13, 2011

Boys at Tosconova out of Derby consideration

Daily Racing Form reports that Hopeful S. (G1) winner BOYS AT TOSCONOVA (Officer) has been taken off the Kentucky Derby (G1) trail.

Trainer Rick Dutrow Jr. hadn't been satisfied with the way the colt was training for his intended comeback in the January 30 Holy Bull S. (G3) at Gulfstream Park. Boys at Tosconova ended up skipping the race and underwent a battery of tests.

"He just wasn't right," Dutrow told the DRF Saturday. "All the tests we took came back negative. I’m not sure what’s bothering him, but he just wasn’t himself. I originally thought it was a knee, it might be an ankle. So we’ll just back off and let him regroup."

Last seen finishing second to unbeaten champion Uncle Mo (Indian Charlie) in the November 6 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (G1) at Churchill Downs, Boys at Tosconova will now get an extended vacation on the farm.

Gremlin Lad

Keeneland will initiate a Pick Five wager, with a 50-cent minimum, for its 2011 spring race meet. The Pick Five, a wager in which fans select the winner of five consecutive races, will replace the Pick Six. “We continually review our wagering options in an effort to give our customers the products that they want,” said W.B. Rogers Beasley, Keeneland’s vice president of racing. “The Pick Five has proven very popular among fans in other states, so we are excited to be able to offer it at Keeneland this spring.” The Keeneland spring race meet will be held April 8-29; post time is at 1:15 p.m. EST daily. There is no racing on Mondays and Tuesdays, or Easter Sunday, April 24, 2011.

gtkid911
    Gambling is a marathon
    gtkid911's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

The 50 cent minimum might kill this bet since more people will hit it and less likelyhood of a carryover

Gremlin Lad

As an industry, "betting on the ponies" is down thru out the nation. These horse racing tracks have got to do everything and anything to get the public's money. Without the bettor's betting, purses will get cut, track management will have to cut expenses, etc.

The 50 cent pick five, the 50 cent pick four, the 50 cent superfecta, and the 50 cent trifecta were implemented at tracks around the nation to get the everyday bettor interested in these exoctic wagers. The takeout is at a higher percetage than the Win, Place, show wager....thus more money for the tracks.

The Rainbow Pick 6 at Gulfstream Park that has a minimum bet of 10 cents has a huge track take out. But that is another story in itself.

Bottom line is the tracks need to generate money to stay functional.

12 Last