Gremlin Lad
    Gremlin Lad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Aqueduct jockeys talked about not riding - over safety concerns

Monday January 10, 2011

From Saturday January 8, 2011 -

Alvarado okay after accident, Cohen displeased with slow medical response

Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:16 PM

Jockey Junior Alvarado, who was kicked in the groin area by his mount, Starlantic, in the paddock prior to Saturday’s sixth race at Aqueduct, was held overnight at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center and took off his mounts on Sunday.
    Precautionary X-rays came back inconclusive and Alvarado is expected to return to riding on Wednesday, according to his agent, Mike Monroe.

Daily Racing Form reported that track medical personnel and emergency medical technicians were slow to respond after the incident and that jockey David Cohen wrapped him in a blanket and carried him to the jockey’s room.

“He was on the ground shaking cold, the ground is frozen cold,” Cohen told the Form. “No one came to his aid. I got one of the assistant trainers to put their horse blanket over him. No one responded to any calls over the radio. I had to pick him up and bring him into the room so he would be warm. He actually ended up going into shock when he went into the room.”

The Form reported that Aqueduct jockeys held a meeting after the sixth race and talked about not riding the final three races because of safety concerns but decided to finish out the card after a meeting with New York Racing Association officials. Cohen said that he asked an EMT during the sixth race post parade why they did not attend to Alvarado in the paddock and was told it was not their responsibility.

IMO:

The "Unions" cans and cannot "dos" have to stop. Automatic sueing has to stop.

Individuals helping and assisting where needed has to become the norm AGAIN.

EMT's have to be licensed by the State...... Jockeys have to be licensed in the State they ride. For that EMT to say it is not "their responsibility" is just plan stupid. The least they could have done was ASSIST. gl

Gremlin Lad

Kudos to MR COHEN for his efforts and assistance to Junior Alvarado.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9578

Cohen's advanced to a pretty good rider on the NY circuit.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

that is a crazy story

dugbug15
    dugbug15's Avatar Become A Pro!

this emt crew needs a wakeup call,like a change in their workplace environment.also,a change in emt services tha does not include this particular crew.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68483

Those EMTs are paid by management. Everyone should be complaining about this.This problem does not exist in Md. If a groom,trainer,owner,jock,valet,etc. gets kicked and it happens a couple times a year at each track in the paddock,winners circle or whatever,they radio the ambulance and it comes over to assist.Usually parked at the gate waiting for the next race.
    At the end of the day it will probably come out that the EMT's were not readily available when they were summoned.Maybe in the bathroom or taking a break or whatever.
    A completely unacceptable scenario,whatever the excuse.

jcwheels
    jcwheels's Avatar Become A Pro!

All of the EMT's should be fired for malfeasance of their duties as NYS certified EMT's. There should be an EMT stationed in the paddock at all times along with track security or law enforcement.

Gremlin Lad

Welcome aboard the sbrforum jcwheels.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jcwheels View Post
    All of the EMT's should be fired for malfeasance of their duties as NYS certified EMT's. There should be an EMT stationed in the paddock at all times along with track security or law enforcement.
    Again, this is a management question and not necessarily the EMT's fault.
    With racetracks losing money ,more EMT's are quite costly.I am in NO WAY defending management,as I constantly fought for a better and safer workplace when I was at the track.The only way this will happen is if the jocks refuse to ride and the horseman refuse to enter horses unless this is fixed.
    Hopefully it will.

jcwheels
    jcwheels's Avatar Become A Pro!

As a former certified NYS EMT, the EMT's should be in or near the paddock whenever there is any activity going on. After all, an ambulance follows the horses around the track during races knowing that accidents can happen during the race, they absolutely could happen before and after the race also. EMT's are not as costly as you may think ($20-25 per hour). Take a look at all the names on the inside of NYRA's programs or conditions books (any track for that matter). I'd rather see one of those names disappear and you can surely pay 2 or 3 more EMT's from that directors' or managers' salary.

Health and wellness first.

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Again, this is a management question and not necessarily the EMT's fault.
    With racetracks losing money ,more EMT's are quite costly.I am in NO WAY defending management,as I constantly fought for a better and safer workplace when I was at the track.The only way this will happen is if the jocks refuse to ride and the horseman refuse to enter horses unless this is fixed.
    Hopefully it will.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jcwheels View Post
    As a former certified NYS EMT, the EMT's should be in or near the paddock whenever there is any activity going on. After all, an ambulance follows the horses around the track during races knowing that accidents can happen during the race, they absolutely could happen before and after the race also. EMT's are not as costly as you may think ($20-25 per hour). Take a look at all the names on the inside of NYRA's programs or conditions books (any track for that matter). I'd rather see one of those names disappear and you can surely pay 2 or 3 more EMT's from that directors' or managers' salary.

Health and wellness first.
    I agree with you 100% but replacing an official is not the answer.Just add the EMT at the paddock for the sake of all people in harms way,not just the jockeys.