LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

Horse Betting Questions for you Experts

So far ive been betting on sports for less than a year. Im always interested in betting on horses but dont know about the sport at all. I guess my first question to you would be Is horse racing profitable? Like say you pick the winner, its as if picking a side in sports. Yet instead of having a 50/50 chance in football, basket baseball... you have a 1/8 or depending how many horses chance of winning. Any method to picking Exactas? What do I the square horse bettor need to do to come out on top?

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

There is a heavy tax to pay when you bet the races. Each dollar you invest becomes roughly 70 to 86 cents. This fact makes it almost impossible to win in the long term. You can combat this by limiting your wagers to the ones you REALLY like. As for exactas there are many ways people go about it. Too many to post here. As to the square bettor theme Know your limits, pick winners. Learn to enjoy the sport without the need to bet every race.

singgooner
    singgooner's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you bet on Yankee horses - patience is the key.

I would say pick 3 tracks/circuits maximum - follow the daily scene for 3 months so you get to know the horses, trainers, jokceys, hot combos between trainers/jockeys - keep records of those 3 months as a paper trial and then with that info - hit the bookies with all you got.

It takes control and discipline - which losing gamblers just do not have

I suggest - NYRA, Philadelphia Park and the flordia scene of Calder & Gulfstream - racing every week of the year and the same horses - so you get to know them all and can form opinions and not listen to others.

But just to dig a whole for myself - I do buy Brisnet Ultimate PPS and the info on those PPS are priceless for me and allow me to confirm what I am thkinking with their independent data.

Hope that helps

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Here is some reading for the weekend:

http://horseracingfans.net/

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

Honestly, stay away from wagers like superfectas to make long term profit. They are like lotto. you think you can hit them but not a lot do you.

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Quote Originally Posted by LostBankroll View Post
    What do I the square horse bettor need to do to come out on top?
    1. Place a small win bet.
    2. When it loses .. compare your horse to the horse that won the race .. read over past form for the race again and figure out why your horse lost .. and more importantly - why the horse that won - won.
    3. Repeat approx 10-15,000 times.
    4. Now you have lost a small fortune - you should be ready to pick and choose your spots .... and pick more winners than losers.

sq764
    sq764's Avatar Become A Pro!

if you want to try to profit, your 1 in 8 horse should have better than a 15% chance to win (win price, considering takeout plus any rebates)

donkdown
    donkdown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Iwinwithsports
    Iwinwithsports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 350

If you do not know enough about horses u will lose. easy as that.

We have owned like a ton of harness horses and know way to much about it. - reason i can profit on harness, follow joeyp for thoughbred, my dad who owns safestwagers is good also. I posted some picks for meadowlands and mohawk today for a contest up at the meadowlands im in.

GOOD LUCK,
    basicly find a good capper and tail, if you do not know much about it.

Anyone who knows alot about harness there is a good sire prefferin.

We used to own that one. ( wish we still did hah )

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

--Learn the different classes of races.A horse could have won 3 straight claiming races but moves into an allowance race where he has no chance.
    --Don't bet Favorites unless you put them is a double or pick 3
    --You play against the public so wait til as close to post time as possible.A horse u liked at 10-1 could have been bet down to 3-1 and lost its value or a horse that u wrote of when it was 2-1 could have dropped to 6-1 and is a must play.

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

Guys thanks for all the info I greatly appreciate it.

BBROBOZO
    BBROBOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Good Info

mikemca and Iwinwithsports thanks, Good stuff , horse betting is a hard business.

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

NP YW.To get started just follow the trainers.A trainer with above 20% win rate is very good and naturally he or she has good horses in their barn.Then just pay attention to when they have a horse running in the future. However if its a claiming race then be careful because its a horse they are willing to unload.There are so many ways to go but knowing the top trainers is good place to start.