kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Breeder's Cup vs. Kentucky Derby

Which is the bigger day? ... Kentucky Derby day or Breeder's Cup day?

picantel
    picantel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

I think the derby is although over the last couple years nobody seems to care about either cept us horse racing freaks.

kdmfox

In 2006 the Derby card handled 175 mil of which 100 mil was bet on the Derby itself ... The 2006 BC card handled 136 mil ... The general public certainly would tune into the Derby and not the BC ... I'd imagine horseplayers would think the BC was bigger.

bbyhill
    bbyhill's Avatar Become A Pro!

bc

kdmfox

Thought I'd give this a bump up as I posted it on BC day if you'd want to comment ... I'm guessing there are 10 times the people watching the KD than the BC.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

breeders cup is mostly all day and the ky. derby is just a big race on one day, I think the breeders cup is more of a challenge than the derby is because of all the races that are racing that day or two days now.

BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

It's not even close. The Breeders Cup is the superior event by a mile. The Kentucky Derby is just one race restricted to three year olds on dirt for a $1M. The Breeders Cup average race has a bigger purse than that, and tests the best horses in turf, distance, sprint, etc, from around the world. I'd be stunned if you could find a true horseplayer that will tell you that he prefers the Kentucky Derby...

kdmfox

Quote Originally Posted by BigBollocks View Post
    It's not even close. The Breeders Cup is the superior event by a mile. The Kentucky Derby is just one race restricted to three year olds on dirt for a $1M. The Breeders Cup average race has a bigger purse than that, and tests the best horses in turf, distance, sprint, etc, from around the world. I'd be stunned if you could find a true horseplayer that will tell you that he prefers the Kentucky Derby...
    I'm in total agreement with you BB ... Horseplayers would agree that the BC is a much bigger event ... My point is, the general public would vote KD.

Duckgawd
    Duckgawd's Avatar Become A Pro!

In the horse racing world, every 3 YO owner wants to win the Derby! You only have one shot at the derby! In the horse racing world, the insiders complain about how our argueably biggest race is only worth 1 million. They should bump up that purse up to 5 million just like the classic!.

On a personal note, I prefer the Breeders Cup, you have all the top horses of the year on one day which makes for one great day of racing, I thought this years was great, even with the off track, horses still came out and put on a great show! You have so many good betting races that money is spread out instead of everyone just unloading on the Derby, but thats what makes the derby a great bet with 20 horses and huge payoffs! Breeders Cup, is the last stop for any horse trying for any of the big awards at the end of the year, and you can bet Curlin is going to get Horse of the Year! Breeders Cup in my opinion is a bigger day for horse racing!

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

BC diffenently in terms of quality of horses throughout the day and the purse sizes. but for attendance and atmosphere and overall general public appeal, its the Ky. Derby.

kdmfox

I'd venture to say most everyone walking the street knows what the KD is and many wouldn't know what the BC is.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

BC for me.. Look forward to it more than the Derby.

Casual fans would say the Derby. Good thread fox.

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

If you ask an average person they have never heard of the Breeders cup. Everyone knows the derby and everybody throws a few bucks on it. Also the derby is covered on a main TV station while the breeders is on espn. So the derby is the bigger event while the breeders probably means more and is bigger for gamblers.

kdmfox

This year the BC was on ESPN but it was always on NBC ... Must have been getting diminished ratings.