bbyhill
    bbyhill's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lava Man to skip Breeders' Cup

ARCADIA, Calif. - Lava Man, who finished last in the Grade 2 Oak Tree Mile on Sunday, will not start in any Breeders' Cup races and will be pointed to the $250,000 California Cup Classic for statebreds at Santa Anita on Nov. 4, according to trainer Doug O'Neill and co-owner Steve Kenly.

The California Cup Classic will give Lava Man a chance to salvage the second half of the season, which has seen the 6-year-old gelding's form tail off remarkably after two seasons as the leader of the California handicap division.

In the Oak Tree Mile, Lava Man was beaten 4 3/4 lengths by Out of Control. Ridden by Corey Nakatani, Lava Man was third along the rail to the top of the stretch but faded through the final quarter-mile.

"Corey said he didn't have any energy, he didn't have his stuff today," Kenly said.

O'Neill wished that Lava Man had not raced along the rail.

"He can't be covered up and explode," O'Neill said.

After the race, Lava Man was given a clean bill of health, O'Neill said.

"He scoped clean," O'Neill said. "It was a disappointing run."

The California Cup Classic over 1 1/8 miles on the synthetic main track will be Lava Man's first start in restricted company since he won the $500,000 Sunshine Millions Turf for California-breds and Florida-breds at Santa Anita in January.

A winner of 17 of 42 starts and $5,214,706, Lava Man finished second in the 2004 California Cup Classic, shortly after he won the first stakes of his career in the Derby Trial Stakes at Pomona. Since the 2004 Cal Cup, Lava Man has won 10 stakes, including six Grade 1s.

His last victory came in the Hollywood Gold Cup on June 30, which was followed by a sixth-place finish in the Pacific Classic at Del Mar on Aug. 19.

"You have to wonder if age has caught up with him," Kenly said. "I'm sure people are writing him off after his last race. We'll cross our fingers that you haven't heard the last of him."

mrmark
    mrmark's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think his age has got him, looked really bad last night!!!!

sharktank1
    sharktank1's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree. Made a ton of $$$ on him in the past.
    Now I'm starting to give it back, albeit a little @ a time.
    No more...