ritehook
    ritehook's Avatar Become A Pro!

Super Derby Pix - Sept 22

Grade II, with a half million purse. It's not only the purse that makes "the grade," but the quality of competition that a race has drawn in the past. And for the most part the lesser plants can't cut the mustard in that regard.

Up in Suffolk today there is the Massachusetts Hdcp, also with a $500 k purse. That race isn't even given a Grade III tag. Little tracks that try just are the Rodney Dangerfields of turfdom.

Ah well, enough of this rant on a slow Fri nite, I gotta get up early on Sat to do some things before couching down for the football games.

SUPER DERBY PIX

It's the 10th at LaD, and as I sometimes do I'll go with two horses, one at huge odds, the other moderate odds. (ML odds)'

#6 Past the Point (4-1 ML)
    #8 Tortuga Straits (30-1 ML)

Yes, I know that "the class of the field" is Grasshopper, a name I recall from the old Kung Fu television series. (with David Carradine I think)

But I ain't gonna bet on no stinkin' even money shot, so I'll lay it out on my two and hope speed holds. Crumpets and tea money, not steak and champagne bucks.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9438

The Suffolk race lost its Grade status because they didn't hold the race the last couple of years. It needs to run consecutively to get a Grade back.

ritehook

Didn't know that. Suffolk normally in not in the Form I see, tho of course one can get the pps online

Any race with a half mil purse should be at lleast GRade III.

bbyhill
    bbyhill's Avatar Become A Pro!

#8 Tortuga Straits (30-1 ML)
    I'll take him even though never stretched out but speed might hold if its slopy.Could stay up for ex or tri

ritehook

Tortuga an early scratch, barn took the better part of valor.

Point ran third. Grasshopper second. Heavy faves like that, if you want to bet them at all, should be bet for place only. (Or exotics, of course) Percent dropoff for big faves is not as great as it is for longies. Tho the average race fan does just the opposite.