kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

The Green Monkey

The Green Monkey, a 16 million dollar yearling purchase debuts Saturday 9-15 race 4 at Belmont ... ML 1/1.

ELMONT, N.Y. -- About 2 1/2 hours before he saddles Rags to Riches in Saturday's Grade 1 Gazelle, trainer Todd Pletcher will tighten the girth around another horse that many have been waiting a long time to see.

Saturday's fourth race, a maiden event at six furlongs, marks the debut of The Green Monkey, who sold for a world record $16 million at the 2006 Fasig-Tipton 2-year-old-in-training sales at Calder. Minor physical issues prevented The Green Monkey from making it to the races at 2. He was stopped on twice for what his connections called a gluteal muscle tear.

The Green Monkey, a son of Forestry, returned to the worktab in June and has worked 11 times this year, including a half-mile move in 47.15 seconds out of the gate last Saturday.

"I think the most important change this year is that the horse is physically very healthy," Pletcher said Thursday by phone from the Keeneland yearling sales. "Any time you have a horse that's had minor aches and pains like he had as 2-year-old - it never allowed him to show his true ability. We've been able to train him accordingly this year because he's been healthy. Because of that, he's gotten better and performed better in the morning."

Pletcher said he understands it will be hard for The Green Monkey to live up to expectations.

"The Green Monkey has been a horse that's highly visible and followed closely," Pletcher said. "It would be difficult for any horse to meet expectations that have been laid on him. At the end of the day, he's ready to run, so we'll get started and hope he runs well."

The Green Monkey, who will break from post 4 under John Velazquez, will face five maidens, all of whom have run before. Sixthirteen, trained by Mike Hushion, has finished third in both of his starts and appears to have the most early speed. Secret Design finished right behind Sixthirteen in his last start and has finished second in three of his six starts.
    Last edited by kdmfox; 09-14-07 at 12:48 PM.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9422

This is a part of the game I'll never understand. How anyone could spend that much money on one horse is beyond me. It's almost impossible to get your money back unless the horse turns into Invasor.

I remember a couple of years ago a horse named Chekov debuted at Kenneland after being bought for $3.1 million. Two years later, he's something like 1-for-15 and has been gelded. Think he's made about $100,000 back.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Race goes off very soon.

IWishIWasRich
    IWishIWasRich's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Arab oil millionaires don't worry about money. He ran a 5-6 length third at 2/5 today. None of my money was on him.

kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Quote Originally Posted by IWishIWasRich View Post
    The Arab oil millionaires don't worry about money. He ran a 5-6 length third at 2/5 today. None of my money was on him.
    Arabs don't own him.

french189
    french189's Avatar Become A Pro!

just a matter of two billionaire owners playing the ego game to outdue eachother. monkey looked good on the track saturday way over bet especially with pletcher struggling lately in new york