Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Saratoga two weeks in jockeys

Two weeks in and just a thought on the jockeys. Anyone else have an opinion?

Who's hot
    Kent Desourmeau: I was always just OK with Desormeau but he is riding great, especially on turf, and bringing in some nice prices. Doesn't get bet down like other jocks.

Garrett Gomez: Getting live mounts but brings in some prices as well. Always in position and rarely has a bad trip.

Edgar Prado: Had some tough trips recently and not getting the best horses in a lot of races.

John Velasquez: Never a big fan, and should win a ton more with the mounts he gets. Tanks a lot of favorites.

Javier Castellano, Cornelio Velasquez and Rafeal Bejarano also riding in good form.

Who ice cold:
    Julian Lepereaux: This guy was the talk of Saratoga last summer, now he's riding like crap. Despite losing the bug, he's ridden very poorly. 4 for 60 so far.

Mike Luzzi: 0-for-20. This guy used to win 8 to 12 every summer at Saratoga. Getting no live mounts.

Shawn Brighmohan: First-call rider for Steve Asmussen, he's bombed on a bunch of chalk already. I used to like this guy, but don't think he's that good anymore. Rarely wins when he's not supossed to.

Ramon Dominguez: What do you guys think of him? Every race he seems to try and force his way through non-existent holes. Always gets in trouble, especially on turf. Saves ground but rarely gets there. 6 for 66 so far.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

I think Kent has as much physical ability as anyone. He is currently focused and is blending in with some good barns. I bet win only and like to play back on speed and fade horses he rides back if they figure. Hot on the turf also.
    Gomez is riding strong at the moment and is climbing to the top of the mountain.
    Prado has my vote as the best east coast rider.He seems to always beat me out in the big races.
    Johnny V. is overated.I've had heated discussions at times with this veiw point.His mounts get over bet and he's produced some no shot trips with my money on the line.Still he is a talent you have to deal with when handicapping the races.
    Castellano I have no luck with.
    C.Velasquez its business as usually.He's good but I can't bet big money on him, too many seconds.
    I love Rafy and always give his mounts a second look.
    Lepereaux is weak and is out of his league with the heavy hitters at Saratoga.
    Luzzi is a stable rider who just doesn't have the top God given skill as some of the other and is suffering right now.He could catch a couple winners at the meet but thats about it.
    Brighmohan is a ten percent rider at best at this level.I have no fear betting small money on him, however the top guys usually will out finish him.
    Dominguez was good for me on the inner track at the big A. This is a different ballpark however. Most likely pressing at this point.

Seattle Slew

I agree on Desermoux. Right now, he's riding a lot for Bill Mott, and his turf riding will keep him on those live mounts. I don't think he'll win the riding title at Saratoga (tied for first after 2 weeks) but he should win some big money races with the barns he's riding for, which also includes Bobby Frankel.

I used to win a lot with Castellano, but not much lately. I only disagree on Cornelio Velasquez. I think he's one of the top riders in the game, definite top 10.

Good point on John Velasquez. I don't like him either, but you do have to figure him in on your handicapping.

Quote Originally Posted by thezbar View Post
    I think Kent has as much physical ability as anyone. He is currently focused and is blending in with some good barns. I bet win only and like to play back on speed and fade horses he rides back if they figure. Hot on the turf also.
    Gomez is riding strong at the moment and is climbing to the top of the mountain.
    Prado has my vote as the best east coast rider.He seems to always beat me out in the big races.
    Johnny V. is overated.I've had heated discussions at times with this veiw point.His mounts get over bet and he's produced some no shot trips with my money on the line.Still he is a talent you have to deal with when handicapping the races.
    C.Velasquez its business as usually.He's good but I can't bet big money on him, too many seconds.
    Luzzi is a stable rider who just doesn't have the top God given skill as some of the other and is suffering right now.He could catch a couple winners at the meet but thats about it.
    Brighmohan is a ten percent rider at best at this level.I have no fear betting small money on him, however the top guys usually will out finish him.
    Dominguez was good for me on the inner track at the big A. This is a different ballpark however. Most likely pressing at this point.

Seattle Slew

Another problem for Dominquez is he never stays on one circuit. He rides at Aqueduct in the winter, Delaware in the spring and fall, and sometimes Saratoga in the summer. If he committed to one circuit (NY most, Gulf in winter), he get more top mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by thezbar View Post

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

How about Joseph Talamo at the Del Mar.. Guy brings in prices everyday.

I'm positive if you bet $2 to win on everyone of his mounts you would be ahead.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

Talamo is talented no doubt. The problem I have with Del Mar is the polytrack. I have dropped speed handicapping, pace handicapping and trip handicapping from my selection process.At this point all I do is play the horse that I think has the most ability in the field.Thats cutting my action way down. The normal tools I use don't apply at this time, thus my interest is in the meeting is dropping also.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I haven't done well at Del Mar.. Have done well at Santa Rosa though.

Seattle Slew

Every year I say I'm going to watch the replays at Del Mar and try and commit to betting more, but after tracking and betting Saratoga, I usually have little energy left to tackle Del Mar.