cougars16
    cougars16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 432

Bovada wrong dead heat payouts

God only how long bovada has been doing this and how many customers they have ripped off doing so. I placed a 3 leg parlay of 3 balls Thursday. I have been betting these on here for a long time but this is the first time I noticed this due to the payout being obviously way short.

If one of your legs in a parlay on there dead heat for a win, they grade the whole parlay as if you place the whole wager for half the stake. There is obvious issues with is and god only knows how much they have stolen from customers in the past.

For example, if you were to wager $100 on a parlay with one leg being +800 odds and one leg being -800, there is no difference to them in paying it out if they +800 is the dead heat or the -800. So let’s break down the math here. If your +800 wins and the -800 dead heats with on of the others, they are going to now pay you out as if you only placed you wager for $50. So the payout would now be $50 at 8/1 = 450 total then that $450 at -800 odds will give you an extra $50 or so. So your total amount you receive from them would be just over $500 but they are stealing at least $400 from customers doing it this way because if you just bet the $100 on the 8/1 and won you would receive $900 total. You should not receive $400 less because you parlayed it with a winner/dead hit???? They are treated this at almost Asian like wagering where half your bet goes to each leg.

Please SBR assist with this. God only knows how much they have literally stolen from customers in the past. I will also include the chat transcript once they send me it of the conversation I had with their “supervisor” regarding the exact math of my wager and how much they are stealing.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

A dead heat is not a winner, only the proportion of the stake wins and the other part loses. What you describe in a parlay situation does suck, but i think it's right. :\

Can you come up with some math that supports a different payout?

Why don't you post the actual bets and odds?

cougars16

The math I included in the example above loses customers almost $450 because of a dead heat. You literally lose half your profit because you include an extra leg that doesn’t even lose. This would be like in horse racing if you received a dead heat price of less than $2.00

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Quote Originally Posted by cougars16 View Post
    The math I included in the example above loses customers almost $450 because of a dead heat. You literally lose half your profit because you include an extra leg that doesn’t even lose. This would be like in horse racing if you received a dead heat price of less than $2.00
    Half of the bet does lose in a dead heat though. What about that part of the bet?

How much do you think they should pay you? in dollars, using your example.

Mr0ctober
    Mr0ctober's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8241

Intertops sent me an email a couple days ago saying they were waiting on official word from the league to grade nhl division futures. Today I look on there they were all refunded? What did I miss. Other than the fact that intertops Is not paying them out like other books did (and most refunded 2nd) which will hurt them in the long run. Will be a lot of unhappy customers in a growing industry. Many will look else where. Terrible look IMO.

HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16961

Quote Originally Posted by cougars16 View Post
    God only how long bovada has been doing this and how many customers they have ripped off doing so. I placed a 3 leg parlay of 3 balls Thursday. I have been betting these on here for a long time but this is the first time I noticed this due to the payout being obviously way short.

If one of your legs in a parlay on there dead heat for a win, they grade the whole parlay as if you place the whole wager for half the stake. There is obvious issues with is and god only knows how much they have stolen from customers in the past.

For example, if you were to wager $100 on a parlay with one leg being +800 odds and one leg being -800, there is no difference to them in paying it out if they +800 is the dead heat or the -800. So let’s break down the math here. If your +800 wins and the -800 dead heats with on of the others, they are going to now pay you out as if you only placed you wager for $50. So the payout would now be $50 at 8/1 = 450 total then that $450 at -800 odds will give you an extra $50 or so. So your total amount you receive from them would be just over $500 but they are stealing at least $400 from customers doing it this way because if you just bet the $100 on the 8/1 and won you would receive $900 total. You should not receive $400 less because you parlayed it with a winner/dead hit???? They are treated this at almost Asian like wagering where half your bet goes to each leg.

Please SBR assist with this. God only knows how much they have literally stolen from customers in the past. I will also include the chat transcript once they send me it of the conversation I had with their “supervisor” regarding the exact math of my wager and how much they are stealing.
    In 3-ball golf, I thought all straight bets were pushed if 2 of the players tied for best score. So if you placed a 3 leg parlay, wouldn't the one leg be a push, reverting your bet to a 2 leg parlay?

cougars16

Nope when 2 tie for first in a 3 ball, it is dead heat payouts. I guess what I am saying here is, even though by their house rules I guess it is paid out correctly, the house rules for 3 betting in parlays are flawed. Tying for the win is not losing, there’s no way they should take half of your risk. It should be your odds are just 1/2’d

cougars16

Because the only spot where it’s different is parlays when it effects the other legs because the stake severely drops. In straight wagering, cutting the risk in half and cutting the odds in half will leave you with the same payout..

bleedblue
    bleedblue's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4551

Op, look at it this way. In your example if you have a 2 leg parlay 1 at +800, 1 at -800.

Instead let’s bet $100 at +800 and we win. We now have $900. Then Let’s bet $900 at -800 and then we dead heat. What would the payout be?

RedApples
    sup
    RedApples's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1564

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue View Post
    Op, look at it this way. In your example if you have a 2 leg parlay 1 at +800, 1 at -800.

Instead let’s bet $100 at +800 and we win. We now have $900. Then Let’s bet $900 at -800 and then we dead heat. What would the payout be?
    ^^^^^^^^^

DontTailMe
    DontTailMe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Any way you slice it, it comes out the same:

Edited: Corrected math.
    Last edited by DontTailMe; 07-03-20 at 10:53 PM.

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18941

In a dead-heat/2-way-tie half the bet wins and half the bet loses. If your selection was a greater than 50% chance, IE shorter odds than -100, your return will be less than your stake. $100 at +800 on a dead-heat will return $450, a net $350 win. $100 at -800 on a dead-heat will return $56.25, a net loss of $43.75.

The same principles applies on less common events that have 3 or more outcomes tie for the win. EG 15 golfers: who shoots the lowest 1st round score? If 3 of the 15 golfers tie for the lowest score then one third of the stakes on each of those tied selections would win and two thirds of the stakes on each of those tied selections would lose. $100 at +800 on a 3-way-tie will return $300, a net win of $200. If any of the tied selections in the 3-way-tie was a price shorter than +200 then any wager on that selection would return less than the original stake.