Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1189

Handicapping Question

Recent speed or recent class.. I understand that the vast majority pays a lot of attention to last race replays.. If you were crunched for time and couldn't afford that option, going only by PP's, which would you pay more attention too? Thanks guys..

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

Quote Originally Posted by Buckandadime View Post
    Recent speed or recent class.. I understand that the vast majority pays a lot of attention to last race replays.. If you were crunched for time and couldn't afford that option, going only by PP's, which would you pay more attention too? Thanks guys..

Please ask some of the others in here but too me, you better pay attention to BOTH.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9476

I always look at all the running lines available to make a decision. .get a feel for what the horse is capable of,where is he in his form cycle,did he have excuses in some of his races,does race shape help him or hurt him,is it a suspicious or legitimate drop if that applies..speed figures,pace figures and class all play a part in my capping..

Buckandadime
    Act as if

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Please ask some of the others in here but too me, you better pay attention to BOTH.
    I do str.. Thank you.. I was just asking the simple question Sir..

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

Agree with STR, but if I had to pick one would lean towards speed/pace. GL

Buckandadime
    Act as if

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
    I always look at all the running lines available to make a decision. .get a feel for what the horse is capable of,where is he in his form cycle,did he have excuses in some of his races,does race shape help him or hurt him,is it a suspicious or legitimate drop if that applies..speed figures,pace figures and class all play a part in my capping..
    So.there really is no rhyme to your reason? Speed or class? It just depends on the ride.. I figure (and only last) pace,speed, class,distance and finish..

gmoproHC4
    gmoproHC4's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

if crunched for time, i would look at the Prime Power rank on Ultimate PPs from brisnet. Class is just really who they raced against and speed is speed. Kind of need to use them together IMO. i also like pedigree ratings at distance or conditions.

Buckandadime
    Act as if

Thank you STR. If I didn't say that before. I love your knowledge

Buckandadime
    Act as if

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    Agree with STR, but if I had to pick one would lean towards speed/pace. GL
    Thank you Rider.

Buckandadime
    Act as if

Quote Originally Posted by gmoproHC4 View Post
    if crunched for time, i would look at the Prime Power rank on Ultimate PPs from brisnet. Class is just really who they raced against and speed is speed. Kind of need to use them together IMO. i also like pedigree ratings at distance or conditions.
    I tried the Bris PP.. A fallacy... TY for your input..class is class but speed kills.. Oaklawn, back in the day. Speed killed.. Today I have a hard time from track to track.. Thank you Sir

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9476

So.there really is no rhyme to your reason? Speed or class? It just depends on the ride.. I figure (and only last) pace,speed, class,distance and finish..
    if it's just last race, speed and pace figures mean more to me than class

Buckandadime
    Act as if

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
    if it's just last race, speed and pace figures mean more to me than class
    That is where I've been leaning but I'm missing something. Perhaps a chromosome. Or 2!

mrginandtonic
    mrginandtonic's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4536

Buck, are you referring to speed number such as Breyer speed figure? Or the way the horse usually run? Such as front running speed or closing speed? If you are talking about speed numbers, then here is my opinion. In short distances, speed numbers seems to matter more. Except for 7 furlongs, for some reason, this distance seems to need both class and speed. In turf racing, class seems to play a much more role in the outcome. That's my general rule in crunch time. Of course, we need to account for all the usual factors. If I'm short in time, I can usually throw out the horses that don't fit. Then again, what do I know, I'm doing horrible in our little contest. Lol

Pmaynard19
    Pmaynard19's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

I've been paying more attention to the power rankings lately other than class. Is this a bad idea? I also look at speed consistently when available but if there isn't much to go on there what else should be considered? I try to do a quick speed check with the PP's before I do anything else just to try to eliminate the horses that have never ran anywhere close to the Par speed but this isn't always a sure way to narrow things down for me. I just have so much to learn but every day I put another tool in my mental pouch...I think lol.

Buckandadime
    Act as if

Quote Originally Posted by mrginandtonic View Post
    Buck, are you referring to speed number such as Breyer speed figure? Or the way the horse usually run? Such as front running speed or closing speed? If you are talking about speed numbers, then here is my opinion. In short distances, speed numbers seems to matter more. Except for 7 furlongs, for some reason, this distance seems to need both class and speed. In turf racing, class seems to play a much more role in the outcome. That's my general rule in crunch time. Of course, we need to account for all the usual factors. If I'm short in time, I can usually throw out the horses that don't fit. Then again, what do I know, I'm doing horrible in our little contest. Lol
    I agree with a lot if what your saying.. I have my own #'s.. I use track, time, pace and class and put them in a logarithm.. Total #'s guy here.. Just trying to figure out what, if anything, that I'm missing or need to exclude.. Thank you Sir..

Buckandadime
    Act as if

Quote Originally Posted by Pmaynard19 View Post
    I've been paying more attention to the power rankings lately other than class. Is this a bad idea? I also look at speed consistently when available but if there isn't much to go on there what else should be considered? I try to do a quick speed check with the PP's before I do anything else just to try to eliminate the horses that have never ran anywhere close to the Par speed but this isn't always a sure way to narrow things down for me. I just have so much to learn but every day I put another tool in my mental pouch...I think lol.
    Sir, I'm the very last guy you should ask or pose a question to. My advice is do what works for you.. You will constantly evolve.. Unless your lucky enough to hit the holy grail.. Thank you Sir.