jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

I Envy You Horse Boys

I have about every channel known to man. About 5 years ago I noticed I have several horse racing channels and looked into this form of betting. Ive bet the big races before and won by luck and really know nothing about horses. I decided to not get involved as I already bet bball, fbll, some mlb and tennis and didnt wanna spread myself thin. Surfing now I see these beautiful creatures galloping down the stretch, my gf at the time couldnt believe you could bet and watch on tv and even as the race is going(I think). You guys who have been doing this a long time compared to other sports how much do you need to know? Just thinking about it seems the jockey is prob an underrated aspect of betting and people focus mainly on which particular name horse is running. Im a detailed bettor, are things like horse temperament, health reports, diet, and travel, are things like that looked upon? Probably not, probably too far out there but one last question I hear 9 and 11 yr olds talked about by broadcaster, horses race that old? Have no idea, I wouldnt have thought so. Maybe I misheard.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

Great Game. Tough to beat. But if you stay within your means it can be a lot of fun. Yeah you need to know a lot to successfully play the game imo. I would say it's considerably tougher than sports betting overall. Read some of STR's thread (on racing questions and answers) if you want to learn some important aspects of the Horse game. I think the best way to participate is tournament play where you compete against others. Derby Wars and Horse tourney's are the 2 major sites that I know of. This Saturday Derby Wars has a 75K game with a top prize of 25K. But as you can guess there are going to be some serious horse players in that contest.

Some horses do run until 10 or 11 years old. Jockey and trainer strengths are important aspects no doubt. If you decide to jump in learn what you can and play small. You can play for as little as $1 on Derby Wars. GL.

dise-pa
    dise-pa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4269

Jtoler go back to tailing Lang ,then u will have monopoly money for horse racing, which both u and Lang know nothing about ...

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19456

2 years, I still suck

I call it burning money
    But I get shitfaced for free at Santa Fe,
    Earn enough players points where I never pay for their buffet

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    Great Game. Tough to beat. But if you stay within your means it can be a lot of fun. Yeah you need to know a lot to successfully play the game imo. I would say it's considerably tougher than sports betting overall. Read some of STR's thread (on racing questions and answers) if you want to learn some important aspects of the Horse game. I think the best way to participate is tournament play where you compete against others. Derby Wars and Horse tourney's are the 2 major sites that I know of. This Saturday Derby Wars has a 75K game with a top prize of 25K. But as you can guess there are going to be some serious horse players in that contest.

Some horses do run until 10 or 11 years old. Jockey and trainer strengths are important aspects no doubt. If you decide to jump in learn what you can and play small. You can play for as little as $1 on Derby Wars. GL.
    Good stuff, may pick up on it after basketball season since I dont bet much mlb. Ill surely be checking that thread and looking for insight, thanks.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9476

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    I have about every channel known to man. About 5 years ago I noticed I have several horse racing channels and looked into this form of betting. Ive bet the big races before and won by luck and really know nothing about horses. I decided to not get involved as I already bet bball, fbll, some mlb and tennis and didnt wanna spread myself thin. Surfing now I see these beautiful creatures galloping down the stretch, my gf at the time couldnt believe you could bet and watch on tv and even as the race is going(I think). You guys who have been doing this a long time compared to other sports how much do you need to know? Just thinking about it seems the jockey is prob an underrated aspect of betting and people focus mainly on which particular name horse is running. Im a detailed bettor, are things like horse temperament, health reports, diet, and travel, are things like that looked upon? Probably not, probably too far out there but one last question I hear 9 and 11 yr olds talked about by broadcaster, horses race that old? Have no idea, I wouldnt have thought so. Maybe I misheard.

go over to the thread started by team taylor which should still be on page 1.. we covered a lot of getting started stuff in there not too long ago

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

gulfstream

R8 #4 midway playa (12-1)

R9 #5 shiny copper penny (20-1) like the even fade line last out at 105-1..29 days between first two starts and back in 13 today.. overlay for sure

R11 #2 wolf dance (8-1)2nd off 3 month layoff and very useful race race under his belt. drops and stretchs out back on the turf. won with similar move back in june

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
    gulfstream

R8 #4 midway playa (12-1)

R9 #5 shiny copper penny (20-1) like the even fade line last out at 105-1..29 days between first two starts and back in 13 today.. overlay for sure

R11 #2 wolf dance (8-1)2nd off 3 month layoff and very useful race race under his belt. drops and stretchs out back on the turf. won with similar move back in june

wrong thread.. sorry

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

Quote Originally Posted by dise-pa View Post
    Jtoler go back to tailing Lang ,then u will have monopoly money for horse racing, which both u and Lang know nothing about ...
    The guy is so 1 dimensional that he wouldn't even take advice from someone (like me) who has been following racing for over 20 years.

In short, jtoler, if that's your real name, you have to know that the track take on WPS and exotics are HUGE, and the worst in all of sports gambling, which makes the game very hard to venture into consistently. The 10% vig is hard enough to beat in sports ... we're talking 15-20% here for WPS and 25% exotics. What's more, you can't lock in a price since it's pari-mutuel, even worse for you as a better looking for an "angle".

I would read anything I could get my hands on regarding the form, speed figures, and most importantly, how "pace makes the race".

There, I just saved you 20 hours. You can thank me later because after you get past the fact that governments have ruined so much of it, it's a great sport and super fun to watch.

Jowframs
    Jowframs's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6645

Always Bet the Derby....Breeders Cup

Otherwise one Race a Day....Is the only Way To Play

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9724

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    The guy is so 1 dimensional that he wouldn't even take advice from someone (like me) who has been following racing for over 20 years.

In short, jtoler, if that's your real name, you have to know that the track take on WPS and exotics are HUGE, and the worst in all of sports gambling, which makes the game very hard to venture into consistently. The 10% vig is hard enough to beat in sports ... we're talking 15-20% here for WPS and 25% exotics. What's more, you can't lock in a price since it's pari-mutuel, even worse for you as a better looking for an "angle".

I would read anything I could get my hands on regarding the form, speed figures, and most importantly, how "pace makes the race".

There, I just saved you 20 hours. You can thank me later because after you get past the fact that governments have ruined so much of it, it's a great sport and super fun to watch.
    ok guys who is brandon lang he he a czar in bball what is his thread....back to your thought on vig in horse racing yes they do take out 18 % on wps and more on trifecta............but how much dead money is in the pool...that has a reverse effect on the % take out....meaning how many mothers , girlfriends .etc non players .....i would say there is better than 50 % of people who go to the track are not players they go to have fun.......so they dont handicapp they play numbers , birthdays ...which i think works in your advantage.........if you get what im saying.................so there might be 20 % of a pool people just play numbers....so it might lower the vig...i hope im saying it right............e z jbex....respond if you know what i mean.....

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
    ok guys who is brandon lang he he a czar in bball what is his thread....back to your thought on vig in horse racing yes they do take out 18 % on wps and more on trifecta............but how much dead money is in the pool...that has a reverse effect on the % take out....meaning how many mothers , girlfriends .etc non players .....i would say there is better than 50 % of people who go to the track are not players they go to have fun.......so they dont handicapp they play numbers , birthdays ...which i think works in your advantage.........if you get what im saying.................so there might be 20 % of a pool people just play numbers....so it might lower the vig...i hope im saying it right............e z jbex....respond if you know what i mean.....
    I agree and disagree hart.. yes there's a lot of uninformed money in the pools but that's true of sports betting also and the vigs still a lot less.. look at the “actual results " of our contest.. 10% take we all make a small (very) profit.. the take on horse racing can't be overcome as they'll always be taking that extra 10% off your winnings.. even if you actually show a profit over time you've collected less than you should have.. some of the whales get big rebates and that's a huge edge over time.. as far as lang goes I know who he is but there are far more knowledgeable people here in this thread who can comment on that

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Quote Originally Posted by Jowframs View Post
    Always Bet the Derby....Breeders Cup

Otherwise one Race a Day....Is the only Way To Play
    this sounds right

i'm good at SA and Gulfstream, but not only do I not bet a lot of races ---and there are a ton ---(that's the point ,too many) it would be less fun for me if I looked at it more than once every few weeks or months

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
    .so it might lower the vig...i hope im saying it right............e z jbex....respond if you know what i mean.....
    long term it doesn't matter, the vig is the vig, I get paid less than I should for picking correctly, that's all that matters

and 18-25% means I have a crazy small margin for error

plus as I said, if i could lock in a price it would be at least more calculable ...at post time I'm not even sure what I'm gonna get!

and if I'm good and "know more" that means the likelihood is that others are going to make my bet worse on average with late money than make it better, it wouldn't be random higher and lower prices, on average I would get paid less than when I locked in ...

i'm sure this has been shown mathematically