Who are you looking at in the Belmont?

Curlin?

Hard Spun?

Someone else?

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

I don't know yet, img. However, I am waiting to get a pick from picantel. If I recall correctly, he has picked the Belmont correctly two years in a row. I hope he can deliver the 3rd time.

E

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9590

I don't like the race, but since I can't pass I'll try and beat Curlin and Hard Spun with somebody.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1628

My first thought was that Hard Spun could go wire to wire.Now that Slew's Tizzy and Digger are part of the pace picture it doesn't appear that simple.I like Rags to Riches to finish in the money if she goes.Tiago is getting a push from the numbers handicappers because of his improving pattern and could be a live longshot.I'm not keen on Curlin because of the short price.I'm going to take another look at Imawildandcrazyguy after the entries are drawn.I.m finished with Circular Quay/he's a toss out for me.
    I am looking forward to the other races on the Belmont card more so than the Belmont Stakes itself.

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

I'd love to see Rags to Riches run.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

I agree gummo,She should love the extra distance.I'm not sure she could prevail in an eyeball to eyeball duel with a colt,that is my hesitation. She's exacta material if she goes,however Gomez is committeed to Hard Spun,so we'll see.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

I will be looking to you guys for some horse information, because I'm not that big on them.

But I'm with IMG and Seattle Slew, I would think Hard Spun and Curlin would have to be in a bet somewhere.

picantel
    picantel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

I am honestly not sure on this race. I usually pick closers who come about in the belmont and kick ass. This year, as I was sick of always losing the derby, I went with a front ender who got 2nd and then 3rd. I am having a hard time justifying playing hard spun again because they have been burning him out and now go to a bigger track. The only good thing he has going is I was watching past belmont races and the front end does reasonably well about half the time. Will decide later.

Seattle Slew

The best filly in recent years to try the Belmont was Silverbulletday, who I thought had a great shot in that race and she went to the lead and stopped. I just can't back fillies in this spot, dirt and long distance. I think their best shot to beat the boys are in sprints or turf races.

Circualr Quay should be a throwout for me as well, since he ran like crap in both races. Only recent history in that pattern as Magdalia D'oro, who bombed in the Derby and Preakness (favored in Preakness, I think) and came back and lost by a nose in the Belmont at a big price.

Quote Originally Posted by gummo View Post
    I'd love to see Rags to Riches run.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Rags to Riches won't run..

Curlin and Hard Spun should run one-two.. Hard Spun will love the extra distance, if he could go the six furlongs in 114 or so he will be tough..

Hard Spun is a great show bet for show bettors IMO.. Curlin is a freak who will only improve.. I see these two horses having six lenghts on the rest of the field at the 1/16 pole..

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

According to the racing form Rags to Riches is scheduled to run Saturday . Johnny V. will ride. Slew's Tizzy gets Bejarano.

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

Yeah she's in.

Trainer Todd Pletcher announced Tuesday morning that Kentucky Oaks (G1) heroine RAGS TO RICHES (A.P. Indy) will run in Saturday's $1 million Belmont S. (G1). The blazed-faced chestnut has been dominant in three straight Grade 1 victories over fillies this year. The Belmont will be her first start against males.

"The filly has been training great and the spacing between the Kentucky Oaks (May 4) and the Belmont Stakes was ideal," Pletcher said. "She has been training great at Belmont Park since the Oaks and she had a great workout on Sunday. She came out of that work in great shape."

imgv94

Yeah I read this too.. I hope she gets scratched before the race cause I think it's a bad move to run her in this race..

What does Pletcher think these horses are going to smell her puszy to the wire?

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Her value would increase with a placing in this race.If she wins it would most likely insure an the award as top three year old filly.She will be the third choice in the choice in the wagering,that alone indicates she has a shot.I'm sure the owners had a say in the decision,Pletcher didn't do this on his own.She's breed to stay the mile and a half.Even if she finishes third the financial gains could be worth the apparant risk.
    Both Curlin and Hard Spun are coming off a hard race in Maryland, Rags to Riches has had five weeks off.I disagree imgv94.I think its a clever move
    Win or lose she will still be odds-on in the Alabama or Mother Goose stakes in her next race.

imgv94

Quote Originally Posted by thezbar View Post
    Her value would increase with a placing in this race.If she wins it would most likely insure an the award as top three year old filly.She will be the third choice in the choice in the wagering,that alone indicates she has a shot.I'm sure the owners had a say in the decision,Pletcher didn't do this on his own.She's breed to stay the mile and a half.Even if she finishes third the financial gains could be worth the apparant risk.
    Both Curlin and Hard Spun are coming off a hard race in Maryland, Rags to Riches has had five weeks off.I disagree imgv94.I think its a clever move
    Win or lose she will still be odds-on in the Alabama or Mother Goose stakes in her next race.
    I don't think she is any better than Silverbulletday was.. If she hits the board I will come into this thread after the race and give you a ton of credit.

Seattle Slew

I agree here as well. I don't think the 3-year-old filly division is that good this year anyways. She might hit the board simply because of the small field but I'd be shocked if she contended in the stretch or finished in the top 2.

The filly is already worth a fortune as a dam, so winning the Belmont might add to the price but she's already worth a fortune. My fear would be she could get injured. Bad move by the owners and Pletcher.

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94 View Post
    I don't think she is any better than Silverbulletday was.. If she hits the board I will come into this thread after the race and give you a ton of credit.

imgv94

It's asking a ton for her to go 2 extra furlongs than she ever has gone..

I don't think she has ever raced over mile and an 1/8th right?

Seattle Slew

No, she hasn't. Plus, she's only had 5 total starts, ran only once as a 2-year-old and didn't break her maiden until January of 2007. Lot to ask to run in the Belmont 6 months later for a filly.

Of course, with my luck, she'll win by 10 lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94 View Post
    I don't think she has ever raced over mile and an 1/8th right?

EBone

The more and more I look at this race, I find it almost impossible to keep Curlin out of the money.

Maybe the best thing to do is exacta box him with some of the longer shots like Tiago and C P West. That's what I'm leaning toward right now and maybe loading up on an across bet on Curlin.

E

kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Rags To Riches is a half sister to last year's Belmont winner ... Jazil

I think she has a good shot here with those credentials and at a value play ... She hits the board.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Interesting note in tomorrow's Form.There was a late-hour bid by Ron Anderson,jockey agent for Garrett Gomez to get off of Hard Spun and back on Rags to Riches.Larry Jones trainer for Hard Spun held Gomez to his original commitment.
    None of these three year olds have run a mile and one half.Most likely after Saturday they won't ever run that distance again.That fact alone holds me from wagering any serious money in the race.

kdmfox

If Gomez was trying to get off Hard Spun and on Rags To Riches, then he must think she's the better horse ... These guys go where the $ is.

imgv94

Quote Originally Posted by EBone View Post
    The more and more I look at this race, I find it almost impossible to keep Curlin out of the money.

Maybe the best thing to do is exacta box him with some of the longer shots like Tiago and C P West. That's what I'm leaning toward right now and maybe loading up on an across bet on Curlin.

E
    Tiago is a very good horse who will love mile a and a half. Loved the way he galloped out in the Derby..

imgv94

bump

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Back from the otb were I placed my Belmont wagers.I ended up with Hard Spun first,Rags to Riches second,Curlin third.Hard Spun could get the right trip in here,Rags to Riches should be competitive,I respect Curlin,but taking the risk he may regress off his last effort.
    My twenty dollars went this way.$1 tri box h.s/rtr/c; $2 ex box h.s/rtr;$2 ex box c/rtr;$2 ex hs,c/rtr;$2 win Tiago. G.L everyone

EBone

Quote Originally Posted by EBone View Post

E

I think I'm gonna do exactly what I said above:

$20 WPS Curlin = Total $60

Exacta Box: Curlin, Tiago and CP West = Total $12

That's my pick, gentlemen. I may throw some money on what picantel and kdmfox posts but, other than that, I can't seem to find a combo that makes sense to me tomorrow.

Good luck everyone.

E

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Post Positions:

1. Imawildandcrazyguy
    2. Tiago
    3. Curlin
    4. C P West
    5. Slew's Tizzy
    6. Hard Spun
    7. Rags to Riches

picantel

I have thought about it and decided I hate this belmont. I refuse to play the filly and I refuse to play curlin as a heavy fave. No fun in that. Hardspun will no doubt break my heart again so as a longshot chaser I am going with Tiago. I will also back it up with hardspun over tiago and curlin just in case. I am only gonna spend a couple hundred so no biggie if I lose.

kdmfox

125 WP on Rags To Riches
    50 EX Rags To Riches and Curlin
    25 EX Curlin and Rags To Riches

MBENZ
    MBENZ's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10455

Hope you are right Pincantel.Tiago got boxed in twice in the Derby and still kept coming,that won't happen in this short field.

Seattle Slew

My initial lean was to CP West with Curlin, but I'm throwing some money on Imawildandcrazyguy. I actually bet him the Fla. Derby at 34-1 and he might have a shot here around 10-1.

So, boxing Curlin, CP West and Imandwildandcrazyguy, with Crazyguy across the board and maybe small WP on CP West.

picantel

Ok my bets
    $10 tri tiago-HS-Curlin
    $10 tri tiago-Curlin-HS
    $100 win Tiago
    $10 per HS/Curlin-Tiago
    $40 per tiago/HS
    $30 per tiago/Curlin

I may do a small $2 tri with tiago/curlin-HS/all

imgv94

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    My initial lean was to CP West with Curlin, but I'm throwing some money on Imawildandcrazyguy. I actually bet him the Fla. Derby at 34-1 and he might have a shot here around 10-1.

So, boxing Curlin, CP West and Imandwildandcrazyguy, with Crazyguy across the board and maybe small WP on CP West.
    He is the forgotten horse in here.. I don't think anyone would be shocked if he won..

picantel

Just woke up cause I am sick as a dog now. I think I have food poisoning as my kid got nailed at the same time. Anyway, does anyone now how Teuflesberg did. I put $100 without even looking at the other horses lol just cause he raced against Hard Spun and even beat him and I figure what the hell why not. If he won(not sure cause he was 8-1 ML) then does anyone know the price? thanks

picantel

oops never mind duh. Went to belmont's website. Won and paid $18.20. I will take it wooo.

Here are my final belmont bets.

Race #10
    $10 DD 1,6/2

Race #11 Belmont
    $100 Win 2
    $50 per 2/3,6
    $10 per 2/1,4,5,7
    $2 super 2,6/2,3,6/all/all
    $10 per 6/2,3
    $10 tri 2/3,6/3,6

12 Last