picantel
    picantel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

Who do you like in the preakness

Obviously I am on hardspun again. here is a quote from his jockey.

I know I’ve got a great horse and Street Sense is a great horse. That’s going to give me a lot of confidence,” said Pino, who is one win shy of tying Jerry Bailey for 15th on the all-time win list. “Now Calvin’s coming to my country. He beat me at Churchill and he knows that track and you can see the way he moved in the Derby he knew every nick and cranny of that rail. He had to have a lot of confidence. I can ride Pimlico with confidence. I know every nick and cranny at Pimlico. I know how the turns are. I know sharp they are and when to drop in. At Churchill I was kind of a little skeptical. At Pimlico it’s going to give me a slight edge. It’s always good to get a trip around the track and I have many, many trips around Pimlico. If I can bring that into how I ride Hard Spun and I can bring out a winner that would be a plus.”

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

You'd think Pino was doing the running with that talk. Pure nonsense. If Hard Spun wins, it'll have nothing to do with the racetrack.

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

My early thought is Street Sense and Hard Spun in the exacta which is not too sexy and pretty obvious. I think the shorter race is an advantage to both horses. It seems that lately, barring the Bernardini win last year, the Preakness has had favorites winning. Let's see the final field. I actually don't think Curlin can win this race.

E

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by picantel View Post
    Obviously I am on hardspun again. here is a quote from his jockey.

I know I’ve got a great horse and Street Sense is a great horse. That’s going to give me a lot of confidence,” said Pino, who is one win shy of tying Jerry Bailey for 15th on the all-time win list. “Now Calvin’s coming to my country. He beat me at Churchill and he knows that track and you can see the way he moved in the Derby he knew every nick and cranny of that rail. He had to have a lot of confidence. I can ride Pimlico with confidence. I know every nick and cranny at Pimlico. I know how the turns are. I know sharp they are and when to drop in. At Churchill I was kind of a little skeptical. At Pimlico it’s going to give me a slight edge. It’s always good to get a trip around the track and I have many, many trips around Pimlico. If I can bring that into how I ride Hard Spun and I can bring out a winner that would be a plus.”
    Every jockey or trainer in America is going to make statements like this. They all think they can win every time their horse enters the starting gate.

That being said, Hard Spun has to be on the short list of potential winners, but taking him solely on a statement from his jockey (or a trainer for that matter) isn't the most profitable way to handicap horses.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Street Sense and Hard Spun.

I don't bet horses, so don't go off what I think.

I might throw in a exacta on these two.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

I'm undecided at this point.I want to see the post position draw to see now the race shape looks.Inside posts are the best historically in the Preakness.

zootiehead
    zootiehead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

King of the Roxy

Wheell
    Wheell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1022

Curlin is still amazingly fast. I'd take him over any other single horse in the race.

picantel
    picantel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

Quote Originally Posted by Senator7 View Post
    Every jockey or trainer in America is going to make statements like this. They all think they can win every time their horse enters the starting gate.

That being said, Hard Spun has to be on the short list of potential winners, but taking him solely on a statement from his jockey (or a trainer for that matter) isn't the most profitable way to handicap horses.
    Umm heh. I have been betting horses for around 20 years now. I never take a jockey's statement at face value. I also pounded hard spun in the derby and think he is in an even better position to win the preakness.

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by picantel View Post
    Umm heh. I have been betting horses for around 20 years now. I never take a jockey's statement at face value. I also pounded hard spun in the derby and think he is in an even better position to win the preakness.
    Alright, just making sure. I didn't know if you were a newbie or not.

I'm actually leaning toward Hard Spun right now too.

I actually hit the exacta in the Derby. Not sure what I'm going to do with The Preakness yet.

Seattle Slew

Circular Quay will start in the Preakness. I like him in this spot.

KC
    KC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

street sense by a nose...but no triple crown

EBone

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Circular Quay will start in the Preakness. I like him in this spot.

I just took a look at the opening odds. Good golly goose! I almost feel like I'm forced to bet either CQ or King of The Roxy. I'll go study and come back with some sort of selection for this f'ing race. Street Sense is probably going to go off at even money; maybe even worse.

E

Seattle Slew

I'm trying to beat SS again. Pletcher was a fool to run CQ off an 8-week layoff, especially since the horse only had two starts as a 3-year-old, and the first didn't really count because of the spill at FG. We'll see if the horse is better than his trainer.

Circular Quay
    Curlin
    Street Sense.

Going to toss Hard Spun.

EBone

Well, this race looks like a chalk eater's dream. I may pass and wait for the real money, which will be made in the Belmont. At least, that's my hunch.

E

mogwai
    mogwai's Avatar Become A Pro!

Circular Quay or Curlin.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Curlin is my choice. Probably going to make a couple exactas with combos of Curlin & Street Sense or Hard Spun.

EBone

Did I see that Hard Spun is 4:1?????????

Hmmmmm.....Interesting.

E

mogwai
    mogwai's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love the prop bet of Curlin at +160 to finish higher than Street Sense.