BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

KY Derby Stills

Its tough to see how some of the other horses did on the replay this gives a great look at the field.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/features/2015-kentucky-derby-race-sequence-752

Note: Frosted ran an amazing turn and stretch. From my count he passed 9 horses on the turn! And was coming home strong. He made up a ton of ground on those leaders who got soft fractions up front.

Note: Materiality ran a pretty good race considering it was over half a second after the gate opened. If you look at his start on the video and then look at his race, he is the real deal and will win some major races this year.

Arky
    Arky's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18868

Good stuff. That second frame was such a cluster...

Anybody hear what happened to Upstart? I'm assuming he got clipped or injured during the race....

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Quote Originally Posted by Arky View Post

Anybody hear what happened to Upstart? I'm assuming he got clipped or injured during the race....
    All I have found at this point is that he was pulled up. Nothing else out there that I have seen.

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Quote Originally Posted by BGboothA View Post
    Its tough to see how some of the other horses did on the replay this gives a great look at the field.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/features/2015-kentucky-derby-race-sequence-752

Note: Frosted ran an amazing turn and stretch. From my count he passed 9 horses on the turn! And was coming home strong. He made up a ton of ground on those leaders who got soft fractions up front.

Note: Materiality ran a pretty good race considering it was over half a second after the gate opened. If you look at his start on the video and then look at his race, he is the real deal and will win some major races this year.

Ultimate goal now for Frosted is Travers at Spa with route being Belmont Stakes to Jim Dandy to Travers.

Comparisons being made between Materiality and Curlin...PPs at this point of career look almost identical after less than ideal trips in Derby

Quote Originally Posted by Arky View Post

Saying everything is fine with him. Probably just doesn't want anything more than 1 1/8 and a comparison can be made here too. Looks just like Violette/J Ortiz triple crown runner Samraat last year. Think Upstart is very good at 9f and maybe a monster at 1 mile.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4508

Yes, interesting, Materiality lightly raced, very fast. Those guys really needed to get going on the 3rd to last still ... Frosted did, Materiality didn't. After the 3rd in the Derby Curlin outlasted Street Sense by a nose and got nosed by Rags to Riches. Then he went on to win it all.

Should be a fun summer.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68207

Pic # 2 tells you a lot. It shows Gary Stevens outside and head and head turning his head to tell the inside rider to "walk the dog" or slow it down. If you see a replay, it clearly shows it. Totally legal and totally smart by a old veteran rider. Actually happens more than most people think, especially in big races. It was that, more than anything that helped decide the order of finish.
    Pace makes the race folks.

sandyw123
    sandyw123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3080

If not for "walking the dog" the outcome of the race could have been very different. Otherwise, wouldn't that have set up Frosted in a position to possibly win the race? He was closing beautifully from way back. The frames were very informative.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68207

Quote Originally Posted by sandyw123 View Post
    If not for "walking the dog" the outcome of the race could have been very different. Otherwise, wouldn't that have set up Frosted in a position to possibly win the race? He was closing beautifully from way back. The frames were very informative.
    Absolutely Sandy. The pace allowed the front runners to relax and conserve energy. If it had been a hotter pace, yes, Frosted would have probably been your winner. He ran VERY well , closing into slow early fractions. Too me, he ran just as well overall as the first two did and he ran better than the 3rd horse, who had everything his own way.
    Frames as well as replays are sooo informative. They helped me immensely when I worked there. I would have been lost without them.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

I think the only X-factor was that the rail was more dead in the 2nd half of the day and Dortmund might not have been 100% ... hard to see why he struggled on top with 1:11 6f. Everyone loves closers, but especially in the Derby, front runners don't have trip "problems"

So pick your poison

sandyw123
    sandyw123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3080

Baffert said Dortmund had some type of infection he was struggling with, recall seeing a concerned conversation between Baffert and the owner prior to the race. From what I understand, he's back to himself. He could win this one, if healthy.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Quote Originally Posted by sandyw123 View Post
    Baffert said Dortmund had some type of infection he was struggling with, recall seeing a concerned conversation between Baffert and the owner prior to the race. From what I understand, he's back to himself. He could win this one, if healthy.
    They still gotta give me 4-1. 7-2? Pushing it. Especially since we already know AP can win in the slop.