onacloud
    onacloud's Avatar Become A Pro!

First horse bet - Help appreciated!!

Everyone in my foursome today is placing wagers on the race now this is my first time betting on horses so a little help understanding the payout would be nice

Lets say I bet just 10 USD on Frosted to Show.. the ML? on Bovada on Frosted is 15/1 how does that correlate into a Show bet?

And one more thing to make sure I have this understood right, a Show bet means he will finish in the top 3?

Probably going to wager on 3 different long shots to Show just want to understand the payouts

buddha
    buddha's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onacloud View Post
    Everyone in my foursome today is placing wagers on the race now this is my first time betting on horses so a little help understanding the payout would be nice

Lets say I bet just 10 USD on Frosted to Show.. the ML? on Bovada on Frosted is 15/1 how does that correlate into a Show bet?

And one more thing to make sure I have this understood right, a Show bet means he will finish in the top 3?

Probably going to wager on 3 different long shots to Show just want to understand the payouts

I think it would pay about $35, others more knowledgeable of The Ponies may correct me but I base this off of a $2 Show Bet paying about $7 and $10 bet being 5x that....you are correct that a Show Wager will pay off for you if Frosted finishes 3rd, 2nd or 1st....you'd get the 3rd place money for 1-3 finish. I like this Frosted Horse. Other viable considerations for a Show bet are (not sure of these odds, not so relevant anyways as they'll be what they are closer to race and/or wherever people bet at but just for Food For Thought) 3. Materiality 14-1 BIGtime with 6. Mubtaahij 12-1 though I expect odds to go down on him, Muba gots some real potential here....thus he's getting onto a lotta folks radar as the race approaches and a potentially supernice longshot play 14. Keen Ice 38-1

GL, mainly posted to bump this so you can get input for more knowing guys.

I Love Frosted though....def under the radar and maybe sharp pick with so much attention to Pharaoh and Dortmund

onacloud
    onacloud's Avatar Become A Pro!

Okay thank you I just wanted a rough estimate so that sounds good but as of now I think I'm rolling with Frosted, Mubtaahij, and Firing Line.

Good luck today buddy!

buddha
    buddha's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onacloud View Post
    Okay thank you I just wanted a rough estimate so that sounds good but as of now I think I'm rolling with Frosted, Mubtaahij, and Firing Line.

Good luck today buddy!
    Good Luck to you also. That will certainly suffice as a rough est. Prolly fairly accurate. Show Bet is an extremely smart bet where "smart" = conservative & maximizing chance of success (payout), especially for beginner but althroughout one's Horse betting carreer. As with most things the vast majority of bettors lack the discipline/lack of greed to do it so thats why I replied also because its impressive to see a beginning bettor talking Show Bet, bodes well. If using Mubtaahij get down asap on that horse as I sense he's gonna go down in odds by showtime and maybe considerably. GL