Jonathan Lintner, USA TODAY Sports 3:12 p.m. EDT May 16, 2014
2014-05-16 Wes Welker

(Photo: Ron Chenoy USA TODAY Sports)
Story Highlights

Churchill Downs spokesman says tote error caused overpayment
Welker said he had a wad of winning tickets
NFLer gave out $100 bills to strangers

539 CONNECT 44 TWEETLINKEDIN 10 COMMENTEMAILMORE

The last we saw Wes Welker, the NFL receiver was walking out of Churchill Downs on Kentucky Derby Day with stacks of money and handing out hundred-dollar bills to strangers.

Churchill Downs spokesman Darren Rogers said Friday that "an individual believed to be a member of Wes Welker's group" received overpayment of more than $14,000 on a winning wager because of a tote error.

The track sent a letter to that individual "in an attempt to resolve the matter." Yes, Churchill wants its money back.

Welker, a horse owner who's no stranger to the business, went on NBC's Dan Patrick Show on Friday and said he's not returning the winnings.

PREAKNESS STAKES: California Chrome unaffected by sore throat

PREAKNESS STAKES: Race could have women's winning touch

"Yeah, get in line," Welker said. "...I've heard about that. I've never heard of it actually happening, and supposedly my group got that. But we had no clue. They could have under-paid us and we wouldn't have known."

The bulk of Welker's winnings — he's believed to have made the wager and had a member of his entourage pick them up — came from including longshot Commanding Curve in his exacta, trifecta and superfecta wagers. Welker also told Patrick he bet the Dallas Stewart-trained colt across the board.

"I had a wad of tickets," he said. "Almost every single one won."

Then there was Welker, whose NFL salary was $2 million in 2013, distributing hundreds on his way out of the track.

"He said he just won the Kentucky Derby and proceeded to walk down the line until the police officer stopped him," Derby-goer Marc Blanford told USA Today on May 5. "I think six of us ended up with $100 bills."

"People wanted autographs and pictures and stuff coming down," Welker told Patrick, "and I was like, 'Wouldn't $100 be nicer?'"

Lintner also writes for The (Louisville) Courier-Journal

Wes Welker won big at the Kentucky Derby, so naturally being the generous guy he is, he decided to share his wealth.
539 CONNECT 44 TWEETLINKEDIN 10 COMMENTEMAILMORE