cutchemist42
    cutchemist42's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5801

Went to my first live horse racing Sat and loved it, Have a few questions now...

My local track in Winnipeg is the Assiniboia Downs. Went for dinner, and the dinner included the program guide with all of the info on the horses for eachr ace along with a guide on how to read the program. Took awhile, but I got used to it and was having fun betting on the horses.

Just wondering about suggestions to go from here? What are good resources to pull race info from, or any good reading someone could suggesT?

Thanks!

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Assiniboia is one of the most player friendly tracks there is but because their field size is very small it's a hard track to bet.If you prefer to stay betting on Canada then Woodbine's product is the way to go.They get full fields ,provide plenty of resources on their website,and their pre card handicapping show is very informative .In fact it's arguably the best there is anywhere.

When I first started I tried to absorb everything and read any book there was but the only thing I really took from it was that there is no substitute for experience.The game changes so frequently nowadays that by the time a book is written the information in it is outdated.You just have to jump in and pay attention to who,what,why,where,and how the winners are winning.Then use that information to decide amongst the contenders that fit based on past performances.

cutchemist42

How much of the bet is taken by the house? Does that term apply for horse betting?

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Quote Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
    How much of the bet is taken by the house? Does that term apply for horse betting?
    Depends on the type of bet and the track. Here is a chart I found after a quick search.

http://horseplayusa.com/images/USA-h...eout-chart.gif

But basically its about 20% on WPS bets and 25% on Exotics as a loose rule of thumb.

cutchemist42

Quote Originally Posted by BGboothA View Post
    Depends on the type of bet and the track. Here is a chart I found after a quick search.

http://horseplayusa.com/images/USA-h...eout-chart.gif

But basically its about 20% on WPS bets and 25% on Exotics as a loose rule of thumb.
    So then its really hard to earn a profit, compared to sports gambling?

How are the payouts for shows and places usually calculated? Is it a set percentage of the win odds?

Also, is there an easy way to access past performance programs like the track handed to me?
    Last edited by cutchemist42; 05-27-13 at 04:02 PM.

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

Quote Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
    So then its really hard to earn a profit, compared to sports gambling?

How are the payouts for shows and places usually calculated? Is it a set percentage of the win odds?

Also, is there an easy way to access past performance programs like the track handed to me?

Yeah, it is hard, but if it wasn't everyone would be doing it. I don't think it is too hard to "stay afloat" so to speak. Also when you get carryovers on the exotics it can make up for that percentage and then some. I feel pretty certain there are people that make $$ pretty consistently playing horses.

No, the place and show are not a % of the win. They are calculated the same way, according to how much $$ is on each horse for each type of bet.

You can easily access the PPs, but you will have to pay for past ones. Generally, you get free PPs for the tracks you bet for that day so I would just get them as you go rather than buying a bunch of old ones.

Bottom line is, I think if you get started you will be hooked. I am a big football guy along with the other big time sports, but I think I love (notice I didn't say like) horse racing more than any of them . I think it is partially due to the fast results and onto the next bet and partially the potential for huge payouts.

If you want to pm me with your email address I can send you a few of my pdfs that have the PPs along with some software and other info I use. It is nothing special, but it will give you a good idea of some different things out there to help you make picks.

cutchemist42

Quote Originally Posted by balls2wall View Post
    Yeah, it is hard, but if it wasn't everyone would be doing it. I don't think it is too hard to "stay afloat" so to speak. Also when you get carryovers on the exotics it can make up for that percentage and then some. I feel pretty certain there are people that make $$ pretty consistently playing horses.

No, the place and show are not a % of the win. They are calculated the same way, according to how much $$ is on each horse for each type of bet.

You can easily access the PPs, but you will have to pay for past ones. Generally, you get free PPs for the tracks you bet for that day so I would just get them as you go rather than buying a bunch of old ones.

Bottom line is, I think if you get started you will be hooked. I am a big football guy along with the other big time sports, but I think I love (notice I didn't say like) horse racing more than any of them . I think it is partially due to the fast results and onto the next bet and partially the potential for huge payouts.

If you want to pm me with your email address I can send you a few of my pdfs that have the PPs along with some software and other info I use. It is nothing special, but it will give you a good idea of some different things out there to help you make picks.
    So the free program that my track gave me to inperson have to be purchased online if not at the track? Every track's website leads me to equibase for the programs.

There's no way to access these for free?

http://www.horseplayerinteractive.co...%20program.pdf

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

Not that I know of bro. Equibase and Brisnet are the two companies that do PPs. I personally like the Brisnet ones, but they are basically the same.

If you are wagering online they are free as long as you place one bet at that track for that day.

BGboothA

Best place on the net for FREE PP's
    http://www.trks2day.com/trks2day.html

BGboothA

CutCHemist, hit me with a PM, I may help you out with the PP