3- 1 8 6
    4- 9 1 12
    5- 3 1 2
    6- 1 10 3
    7- 6 2 7
    8- 6 12 2

MrBrown
    MrBrown's Avatar Become A Pro!

good start, r1 ex 7/4, r2 ex 3/5, r3 winner #1 at $18.80, COLD P3 7/3/1 $147

r4 ex 12/1, r3-4 DD 1/12 pays $135

r2-4 P3, 3/1/12 pays $174

r5 #2 @ 18-1 runs runs 2nd to miss a huge P3 payoff

MrBrown

r8, winner on top #6 at $10, 4 winners on top, couple nice P3's and DD's.
    thanks Anita!

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

double post.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

great picks.

I thought you couldn't lose there for a while. How long did it take you to cap that card?

MrBrown

Thanks.
    I cap a card in about 10 minutes and do at least 6 a day, everyday, looking for the card(s) I will bet on for the day.
    Capped my first card in 1956 from the old Morning Telegraph

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

I suppose over half a century of experience counts. lol

So that comes down to a little over a minute per race... Amazing. So you're able to scan the form and very quickly identify what matters most. Would you mind sharing one or two things that you consider the most essential, or the most easily overlooked?
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 10-20-12 at 07:30 PM.

MrBrown

I'm of the opinion that it's 80% trainers.

It's the trainers who find the right spots, provide the care (and believe me, there's a difference between the trainers care between the better ones and the mediocre ones, select and can GET the better jocks.

I know the better trainers at all but the most obscure tracks so I find the best trainers in each race and quickly scan the form to try to separate as to running order but since I play exactas and DD's almost exclusively, running order to me doesn't really matter except that I want the longest shot of the 3 to win, of course.
    This is why I can "cap" a race in so quick a time.

BOL to you

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68433

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrown View Post
    Thanks.
    I cap a card in about 10 minutes and do at least 6 a day, everyday, looking for the card(s) I will bet on for the day.
    Capped my first card in 1956 from the old Morning Telegraph
    I LOVED the ole Telly.

MrBrown

Also, I would guess that about 80%ish races are won by horses under 10-1 in the morning line (not the final odds, the M/L)
    quite a few 6-1, 8-1 close higher and this is good.
    These M/L's are set by guys that many times have been doing this at the same tracks for years and they are pretty accurate.

So if you're just starting out try the better trainers (tracks list the top % trainers, not the ideal but a very good start until you can learn your own list at the tracks of your choice) with M/L at or under 10-1 and many times you'll be left with only a few horses.

If you're looking to play for Win only then you'll need to learn some basic handicapping skills to separate down to one horse but if you're a combo player such as myself most races are laid out for you very quickly

MrBrown

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    I LOVED the ole Telly.
    Oh man, me too, at age 10 in '58 I used to hang out at the corner newstand and wait for tomorrows delivery around 9pm.
    I lived right near the old Garden State Park track and horse racing was huge around there in those days.

My Dad was there the day in '77 when it burned down.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68433

Oh man, me too, at age 10 in '58 I used to hang out at the corner newstand and wait for tomorrows delivery around 9pm.
    I lived right near the old Garden State Park track and horse racing was huge around there in those days.

My Dad was there the day in '77 when it burned down.
    Here is a picture from 3 weeks before it burned up.

I was planning on being there THAT DAY but the race did not fill.

Unreal !

As it was, it took months to get our money out of the Horseman's Bookkeepers office and those silks were lost in the fire.Name:  G ST..jpg
Views: 91
Size:  11.5 KB

Very cold and windy that day. I looked like Kramer with the hair. and I must have expected a muddy track by the looks of my pant length. LOLOLOL.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

I'm of the opinion that it's 80% trainers.

It's the trainers who find the right spots, provide the care (and believe me, there's a difference between the trainers care between the better ones and the mediocre ones, select and can GET the better jocks.

I know the better trainers at all but the most obscure tracks so I find the best trainers in each race and quickly scan the form to try to separate as to running order but since I play exactas and DD's almost exclusively, running order to me doesn't really matter except that I want the longest shot of the 3 to win, of course.
    This is why I can "cap" a race in so quick a time.

BOL to you
    Thanks for that great insight!