phillysfinest4
    phillysfinest4's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 834

Future Bet on "I'll Have Another" Graded a Loss

I placed a future bet on "I'll Have Another" to win the Belmont @ +135. Even though it was a scratch, it was graded a loss. I asked in the chat and I was told it was a management decision. Anyone else in the same boat? I've been betting horses for a long time and not one track has EVER graded a scratch a loss.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14790

Futures bets are not pari-mutuel. If they refunded your bet and paid the high odds already booked for all the other horses, the book would eat a lot of cash there.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

This was a future bet, not a straight bet,so all bets have action.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3277

They should have specified that all bets were action when you placed the bet. Happened to me this year as I had Mark Valeski for the Derby in a future bet and he did not run. However, the book was clear that all bets were action whether he ran or not.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Its a loss

exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 324

5DImes specifically said "Must starts for action" so it was a refund there.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    They should have specified that all bets were action when you placed the bet. Happened to me this year as I had Mark Valeski for the Derby in a future bet and he did not run. However, the book was clear that all bets were action whether he ran or not.
    Well technically, books really only need to stipulate cases where future bets have NO ACTION. I get that they DO state all bets are action a lot of times, but they don't really have to. If nothing is stated, the industry standard applies which means all bets are action.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3277

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Well technically, books really only need to stipulate cases where future bets have NO ACTION. I get that they DO state all bets are action a lot of times, but they don't really have to. If nothing is stated, the industry standard applies which means all bets are action.
    Yeah, I see your point. But for people that are new to the game it's nice for the book to give the customer notice.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by exstatman View Post
    5DImes specifically said "Must starts for action" so it was a refund there.
    Perfect example of book specifying something that is not the norm.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

loss

stuntin909
    stuntin909's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

damn i almost bet the field at -135 back then. it would've been a winner? crazy

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by stuntin909 View Post
    damn i almost bet the field at -135 back then. it would've been a winner? crazy
    At most places yes, at 5 Dimes no.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3427

in real life (at track or otb) a future bet is a loss even if it doesnt run. for this reason i am always reluctant to place future bets especially doubles/pick 3's & 4's/tris/etc

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by ThaWoj View Post
    in real life (at track or otb) a future bet is a loss even if it doesnt run. for this reason i am always reluctant to place future bets especially doubles/pick 3's & 4's/tris/etc
    You are mixing apples and oranges. When track or OTB has future pools weeks in advance for big races, all bets have action and a scratch is a loss, just like off shore and Vegas. But for doubles/pick 3's & 4's/tris/etc, scratch is not an automatic loss, each track has its own rules. Scratches are always refunds in daily doubles and trifectas, but in Pick 3s or more, refer to track rules. Some automatically give you post time favorite.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

In my experience, this is a loss. I had a futures bet on a player at the Masters 10-15 years ago, he WD'd before the start of the event and there were no refunds.

Sorry.

nvrlose37
    nvrlose37's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    You are mixing apples and oranges. When track or OTB has future pools weeks in advance for big races, all bets have action and a scratch is a loss, just like off shore and Vegas. But for doubles/pick 3's & 4's/tris/etc, scratch is not an automatic loss, each track has its own rules. Scratches are always refunds in daily doubles and trifectas, but in Pick 3s or more, refer to track rules. Some automatically give you post time favorite.
    That's true some do the post-time favorite but Ive seen a good majority just give that scratched horse the win in the pick 3,4,6. I'm almost positive all the NYRA tracks are like that.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by nvrlose37 View Post
    That's true some do the post-time favorite but Ive seen a good majority just give that scratched horse the win in the pick 3,4,6. I'm almost positive all the NYRA tracks are like that.
    Yes sometimes scratches win in longer multi-race bets, but I don't know of a single case where they lose.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3427

LT-

i was talking about doubles/pick3s/tris in future wagering only. its my understanding that, say for instance the derby, if you bet an exacta in future pool 1, 2, or 3 and one of the horses doesnt run isnt it a loss? now if you bet the oaks/derby double or say the sunshine millions pick 4 and theres scratch, then there would be a refund.

i was strictly referring to gimmick betting in future pools like derby future pool 1/2/3 or preakness/belmont pre-future pools in my original post

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Check the details of your ticket:

Did you bet on I'll Have Another to win the Belmont or did you bet I'll Have Another to win the Triple Crown?

I bet AGAINST I'll Have Another @ Bookmaker and my wager was graded as a win as the wager was whether or not he would win the Triple Crown.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by ThaWoj View Post
    LT-

i was talking about doubles/pick3s/tris in future wagering only. its my understanding that, say for instance the derby, if you bet an exacta in future pool 1, 2, or 3 and one of the horses doesnt run isnt it a loss? now if you bet the oaks/derby double or say the sunshine millions pick 4 and theres scratch, then there would be a refund.

i was strictly referring to gimmick betting in future pools like derby future pool 1/2/3 or preakness/belmont pre-future pools in my original post
    I have never heard of exotic betting in Future betting, all futures I have seen are fixed odds to win only.