dogkatcher's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23765

Did Mike Smith Blow it Again?

What do you think?? Was Bode to uncontrollable to sit behind
    the cheap speedster Trinniberg or did Baffert give him the green
    light to try and steal it on his own due to being inside the other speed
    with post 4?? First Zenyatta, now Bodemeister,
    just my opinion, $$$ jock, ... maybe way back when. Take nothing away
    from I'll Have Another, truly legitimate winner, with the pace setup.

Justin_sane
    not insane
    Justin_sane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

Quote Originally Posted by dogkatcher View Post
    Or would you rather Mike Smith slow it down after a half mile to save some energy (remember he was ahead by 5 at the top of the stretch) and then get in a stretch duel with numerous horses? He's a horse that loves the lead and almost got home free. Nothing wrong with what Mike Smith did.

JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

did he blow either race...no

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Quote Originally Posted by dogkatcher View Post
    He gave Zenyatta the best possible ride he could have,the further you were off that pace the better and then to save all the ground, tip out coming off the turn without getting blocked, and have a open run to the finish was almost too good to be true.Blame was just better that day.

As for Bode its all speculation, horses will often do better when alone on the lead even if you have to go a few ticks faster rather then be eyeball to eyeball through slower fractions.Maybe he would have done better laying off Trinni but if Baffert said GO then I doubt it and his best chance was running them off their feet.

brucedenton
    brucedenton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22950

He just got beat fair and square.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

With splits that fast you would think the closers would be greatly favored. They weren't. Only one closer finished in the money. I would say Bodemeister got beat by a better horse. Gutierrez had I'll Have Another exactly where he wanted him going into the first turn. Perfect trip.

Interesting to look at the race from the sky, right after the start. #6 Bodemeister is off fast and angles towards the rail. #5 Dullahan is behind him, and angles a little sharper. #4 Union Rags, with European jockey Leparoux is cut off. #3 Take Charge Indy goes straight and doesn't compensate for the angling. By this time Union Rags has already lost the race, because Leparoux (unlike Velasquez on Went the Day Well) waits until the stretch to get rolling. I found it interesting that the conservative European jockey sat between two Cajun jockeys and three time Derby winners.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

Baffert said after the race "This is the only time I've run second where I have been happy because he ran his race. He's a brilliant horse." Smith really had no choice but to let Bode run his race, and he almost pulled it off.

TonyP
    Update your status
    TonyP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

Unin Rags would have never finished 1st at that distance and wont do it in the Belmont either. Bode will win the BC Classic if he stays sound.

TonyP
    Update your status

UR would not even made it 2nd going that distance

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    Baffert said after the race "This is the only time I've run second where I have been happy because he ran his race. He's a brilliant horse." Smith really had no choice but to let Bode run his race, and he almost pulled it off.
    rumor is behind the scenes baffert and zayat weren't happy at all, i can see it both ways heard some good arguments both supporting and ripping smiths ride and a lot of them made sense.

if BODE runs in the preakness thats where you'll find out if he truly is a monster or just a pretender in what might actually be a weak crop of 3YOs.

mikemca
    Update Status

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Unin Rags would have never finished 1st at that distance and wont do it in the Belmont either. Bode will win the BC Classic if he stays sound.
    Union Rags had the fastest final 1/16 in the race.To say he can't get the distance because of a stat is just silly.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

Absolutely not.

He didn't blow it on Zenyatta either.

TonyP
    Update your status

the fastest 1/16 does no good if you keep running out of the money.

TonyP
    Update your status

UR cant and did not get the distance

mikemca
    Update Status

the fastest 1/16 does no good if you keep running out of the money.

For a trip handicapper you sure miss the glaringly obvious.

UR cant and did not get the distance
    You're right who needs logic when you got the because I said so.

TonyP
    Update your status

for trip capper, he needs no trouble or its over. he showed this in the Fl Derby, now in a 20 horse race how is he going to get a clean trip. not very likely on top of the sire never has produced anything past 9. and probably go of short not of me , so he will not get my money at Belmont either if he runs. when he shortens up with a smaller field then I will pay him. I dont think he likes beeing crowded and looks like he needs to be on the outside of horses to me.

Easy-Rider 66

for trip capper, he needs no trouble or its over. he showed this in the Fl Derby, now in a 20 horse race how is he going to get a clean trip. not very likely on top of the sire never has produced anything past 9. and probably go of short not of me , so he will not get my money at Belmont either if he runs. when he shortens up with a smaller field then I will pay him. I dont think he likes beeing crowded and looks like he needs to be on the outside of horses to me.

Belmont usually about a 10 horse field, but I do not know if UR is bred for 1 1/2 miles. I think he's overrated and should not have went off as the favorite for the Derby. Maybe he can win the Jim Dandy/Travers at Saratoga this summer.

TonyP
    Update your status

to much distance for UR

mikemca
    Update Status

Belmont usually about a 10 horse field, but I do not know if UR is bred for 1 1/2 miles. I think he's overrated and should not have went off as the favorite for the Derby. Maybe he can win the Jim Dandy/Travers at Saratoga this summer.
    He wasn't the favorite Bodemeister was the ml fave and then went off favored.UR may be overrated but it remains to be seen because he hasn't been all out in any of his 3 starts this year.

to much distance for UR
    I'm not saying he is going to win the Belmont.It just makes no sense to say he can not get 1 1/4 when 15/16ths of the way through the race he was running faster than the other 19.

Easy-Rider 66

Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post
    He wasn't the favorite Bodemeister was the ml fave and then went off favored.UR may be overrated but it remains to be seen because he hasn't been all out in any of his 3 starts this year.

Stand corrected. Bode went off about 4/1 and UR 5/1.

I'm not saying he is going to win the Belmont.It just makes no sense to say he can not get 1 1/4 when 15/16ths of the way through the race he was running faster than the other 19.
    Good point.

hanco21
    The Lord of No Rings..AJ Smith Egomaniac
    hanco21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2113

Did you see the replay when it showed Baffert face when Bodemeister crossed the finish line. Baffert looked away and said wtf, no horse could survive those fractions so yes SMITH RAN A VERY POOR race.

Justin_sane
    not insane

Quote Originally Posted by hanco21 View Post
    Did you see the replay when it showed Baffert face when Bodemeister crossed the finish line. Baffert looked away and said wtf, no horse could survive those fractions so yes SMITH RAN A VERY POOR race.
    Lol, what?

It's not like he finished up the track, he got passed by one horse.

Justin_sane
    not insane

So you were not happy he took alot of money? I am. Better prices elsewhere.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Quote Originally Posted by Justin_sane View Post
    Lol, what?

It's not like he finished up the track, he got passed by one horse.
    you don't think he was mad? after a race like that i'm surprised nobody got killed back in the barn

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

As a horseplayer one of the first things you learn is how to read the Racing Form. Trinniberg is a seven furlong horse with no shot to go the mile and one quarter distance of the Kentucky Derby. From a trip handicapping viewpoint the best trip would be to sit outside the pace and take over as the speed horse fades. Smith bypassed that opportunity. He could settled back into second early on the backside but that's Monday morning quarterbacking. Plus Bodie broke from the gate so sharply it would have taken a lot of guts to pull that move. In addition there is the ? of how ratable Bodie is at that point in the race. Its tough to be to hard on Mike Smith. Still a better ride could have made a difference in the final sixteenth.
    From a personal viewpoint I think the best horse in the race finished second. That's horse racing. My futures at 30/1 and my 100 dollar win bet went up in smoke. Once I saw the 1/2 mile fraction I figured I'd lose. Its amazing to me Bodie held for second.