JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

CBY closed

http://www.startribune.com/sports/124838174.html

At 12:01 a.m. Friday, Randy Sampson sat glumly in the card club at Canterbury Park, watching the government-ordered closure that still didn't seem quite real. As dealers put away the cards and chips and players formed long lines at the cashier's windows, the president of the Shakopee racetrack accepted condolences and good wishes from many regulars, who were as upset as he was that the government shutdown had shuttered Canterbury.

dugbug15
    dugbug15's Avatar Become A Pro!

does anyone know the reason for the shutdown? just curious.

gjetson
    gjetson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 573

State budget deficit. E-mail said they'd request a special exception to try to see if they could run this weekend or not. Canterbury isn't scheduled in court until about 5pm so there won't be racing tonight, maybe tomorrow? ...
    Last edited by gjetson; 07-01-11 at 12:23 PM.

dugbug15
    dugbug15's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanks for the update,gjetson.now that i think about it,i did hear something about minns financial woes.didd'nt know they had control of canterbury.

StaticXman
    StaticXman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Canterbury is run by the Minnesota Racing Commission, which is a state agency, thus the travesty of a shutdown..I wish I could say I dont like in the biggest joke of a state right now, but I sadly do.. Only "essential functions" like the zoo and golf courses are open. But I dont want to get too political, just extremely pissed off that the only thoroughbred track in the state is shut down for no good reason.

StaticXman

Also, the courts denied Canterbury's request to stay open for the weekend, so no racing through at least the 4th..

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Yeah its crazy, I am actually in MN on vacation and everything from state parks to rest stops are closed up.

StaticXman

Yup..Rest stops, DMV's, the lottery (Powerball, Mega Millions, Gopher 5, scratch-offs, etc.), canterbury's poker room and OTB parlor among other things are all closed..