Gremlin Lad
    Gremlin Lad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Animal Kingdom injured.

THURSDAY JUNE 16 2011

Animal Kingdom injured.

ELMONT, N.Y. -- Animal Kingdom, the Kentucky Derby winner and Preakness runner-up, sustained an injury to his left hind leg that will keep him out of training for a couple of weeks, but should not prevent him from running again this year, his connections announced Thursday.

Animal Kingdom has what veterinarians describe as a fissure, or small crack, on the tip of the cannon bone where it joins the lower part of the hock. It is believed that the injury occurred when Animal Kingdom stumbled in the early stages of the Belmont Stakes when a horse came over on him and then Animal Kingdom clipped heels with another horse in front of him.

The recommended plan of action, according to Dr. Larry Bramlage of the Rood and Riddle Equine Clinic in Lexington, Ky., is that Animal Kingdom be taken out of training for two weeks before having the leg X-rayed again.

"In two weeks it should settle down and he should be sound again," Bramlage said in a press release distributed by Team Valor International, the syndicate which owns Animal Kingdom. "I don't think it is going to separate, but that would be the worry. Right now it is a tiny crack and technically you could call it a fracture. But I would characterize it as more of a fissure because of how small it is."

Bramlage examined the X-rays that were taken by Dr. Dean Richardson at the New Bolton Equine Clinic in Kennett Square, Pa., where Animal Kingdom was sent on Wednesday for a bone scan after trainer Graham Motion noticed that horse was off in his left hind leg.

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

How long before Irwin can't stand it anymore and blames somebody else?

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

will never win another race...will be retired to stud after a dismal comeback attempt later this summer...

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Irwin will try him in the Arlington Million on grass where he gets drowned by the classy runners there, then he will have a failed 8th in the Breeders Cup. Meanwhile Shackleford or another will win the Travers/Haskell/ Gold Cup, which gives Irwin another reason to cry conspiracy when Animal Kingdom doesn't win the 3yo championship.

TonyP
    Update your status
    TonyP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

to bad hes injured I realy like this horse

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

I say he never even races again.

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    will never win another race...will be retired to stud after a dismal comeback attempt later this summer...