Gremlin Lad
    Gremlin Lad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nehro to undergo surgery for ankle chip

MONDAY JUNE 13 2011

Owner Ahmed Zayat told The Paulick Report Sunday that NEHRO (Mineshaft) exited his fourth-place finish in Saturday's Belmont S. (G1) with a bone chip in his ankle. The Steve Asmussen pupil is scheduled to undergo surgery at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital near Lexington, Kentucky.

"It's not career-ending, but it sets us back," said Zayat, who added that the November 5 Breeders' Cup Classic (G1) at Churchill Downs remains a long-term goal.

The Belmont was the seventh career start for Nehro and fourth straight in a graded stakes, after running second in the Louisiana Derby (G2), Arkansas Derby (G1) and Kentucky Derby (G1), his most recent effort, on May 7.

Nehro broke from post 6 in the Belmont and was quickly guided to the rail by jockey Corey Nakatani heading into the first turn. They were able to save ground on the sloppy, sealed main track before angling out past the quarter-pole and making a late run, beaten 7 1/2 lengths by Ruler on Ice (Roman Ruler).

Asmussen's New York-based assistant, Toby Sheets, had commented on the colt's effort before his injury was revealed.

"I don't know if it was the surface or eating all the muck," Sheets said. "All the winners yesterday were on the front end or close to it, or ate no mud, and he ate a ton of mud. The horse that ran second (Stay Thirsty [Bernardini]) was on the fence not eating any mud, and the horse that won was on the outside.

"The note of the day, basically, is that most of the horses that won, their bridles were all clean when they came back."
    Points Awarded:

BBROBOZO gave Gremlin Lad 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

ncat12
    ncat12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

curious to know tht if the trainers had seen this going on all day why was there not a different plan for Nehro..sure do wish there had been ....Nakatini???

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68545

Quote Originally Posted by ncat12 View Post
    curious to know tht if the trainers had seen this going on all day why was there not a different plan for Nehro..sure do wish there had been ....Nakatini???
    I can not speak as of today but 10+ years ago very few trainers had a clue about this. Jockeys were worse still.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

Doubt he'll return to the races. If he does I doubt he can return at the level he exited.

TonyP
    Update your status
    TonyP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

doubt most of those in derby will return to this level and by end of year should be running in allowance races

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Animal Kingdom,Brilliant Speed,Soldat,Twinspired,Derby Kitten will all go back to the turf now that the classics are over

AlexanderNehro
    AlexanderNehro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by thezbar View Post
    Doubt he'll return to the races. If he does I doubt he can return at the level he exited.
    It's one of the easiest surgeries to recover from. Will need time this summer to recover though. Think they are shooting for Fall racing but could easily see that being pushed to next Spring.

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

So in the Triple Crown I plow a wagon load of cash through the windows, and my horse comes up lame in 2 of the 3 (Archarcharch in the Derby). Gotta love racing.

AlexanderNehro
    AlexanderNehro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
    So in the Triple Crown I plow a wagon load of cash through the windows, and my horse comes up lame in 2 of the 3 (Archarcharch in the Derby). Gotta love racing.
    If they would limit the field to 14-16 horses that probably wouldn't have happened. In the last 8 years I believe the lowest PP to win the KYDerb is #4. I know it's all about money but some of the those horses don't belong in the race to begin with IMHO. Maybe someday that'll change......

zou1222
    zou1222's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post
    Animal Kingdom,Brilliant Speed,Soldat,Twinspired,Derby Kitten will all go back to the turf now that the classics are over
    From the quotes and stories I have seen - Brilliant Speed & Animal Kingdom are both being pointed towards dirt races such as Haskell and Travers.

BBROBOZO
    BBROBOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

GremblinLad .... good work .

Always good to see you posting , not so good on the content IN THIS POST .... I love horses .
    Lets hope all goes well for this great horse .
    Some great racing so far by this horse and lets hope that this horse can win a big race before it's over .
    Thanks Gremblin .

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68545

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderNehro View Post
    It's one of the easiest surgeries to recover from. Will need time this summer to recover though. Think they are shooting for Fall racing but could easily see that being pushed to next Spring.
    Totally depends on where it is, the size of it and the angle that it took in dislodging.