Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14706

One of the worst horse meets in the nation starts Saturday

Suffolk Downs' opening day tomorrow. Nine races on the card, with eight being $7,500 claimers. Only exception is a $16K maiden race.

Meet goes three days a week, with even lousier cards on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Doesn't get much worse than that. Hope Caesars can bring in some slots and get some more action going here.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I usually head up to Suffolk a few times a summer for a day of ponies and it's quite the show. The place is still a mecca for the Boston Mob.

Cabo
    Cabo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22687

It does get worse. I just got back from Fairmount Park in southern Illinois. They race 3 days week now. Bottom level claimers are $3,000. Friday nights are dollar beer nights and I broke even on my wagers, so it was a good night.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Oh man, $3K claimers are borderline donkeys. Gotta love those dive tracks with cheap horses and cheap beers!

We have a cheap dogtrack (Twin River) about 20 mins from me.

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Indeed. Suffolk Downs fits in well with the shithole known as East Boston. The track is pretty nice but the building sucks. When you're done mingling with the degens at Suffolk Downs, you can take a trip down the street and check out the beautiful natural gas tankers.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

suffolk to be avoided like the plague...at least you can bet all the tracks and ignore suffolk if you have to go to that end of the earth outdated non-historic edifice...other simulcast outlets in state (2) have to put up with the suffolk block of most other thoroughbred simulcasts until 4:30...connecticut or bust..

callmejrk1
    callmejrk1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

i dont know if i could deal with only betting suffolk lol

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I heard a funny story on NPR radio tonight, the Preakness has a new marketing campaign to try and get more spectators back to the track, Kegasus. It is some sort centaur party style creature they have marketed in Baltimore bars and local TV ads trying to get more spectators back to the "infield" and the race.

The Maryland Jockey Club banned people bringing their own beer and alcohol in the infield in 2009 after they had one brouhaha televised where drunks and rowdies were having races on top of the port-a potties , fights broke out, basically a real mess all around. So they tried to clean up the infield. Attendance plunged so now they are carting out kegasus.

Last year they had $20 mugs of beer with limitless refills, live music and a bikini contest, attendance soared.So they now have kegasus and who knows, maybe they will have the DRF put out some analysis on the foot races on top of the port a potties, and we can find a long shot winner for the port a pottie races.

Horse racing at the track has basically just gone to shit. I hope animal kingdom wins tomorrow and maybe a triple crown hopeful may garner some attention for this sport.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3579

Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post
    Suffolk Downs' opening day tomorrow. Nine races on the card, with eight being $7,500 claimers. Only exception is a $16K maiden race.

Doesn't get much worse than that. Hope Caesars can bring in some slots and get some more action going here.
    Thats why its called "suffering downs"

Quote Originally Posted by Cabo View Post
    It does get worse. I just got back from Fairmount Park in southern Illinois. They race 3 days week now. Bottom level claimers are $3,000. Friday nights are dollar beer nights and I broke even on my wagers, so it was a good night.
    been there a many times. me and my buddy nicknamed it 'the penitentiary' b/c back in the day they used to have bars over all the betting windows (maybe they still do, havent been there in 5 years)

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1965

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    I heard a funny story on NPR radio tonight, the Preakness has a new marketing campaign to try and get more spectators back to the track, Kegasus. It is some sort centaur party style creature they have marketed in Baltimore bars and local TV ads trying to get more spectators back to the "infield" and the race.

The Maryland Jockey Club banned people bringing their own beer and alcohol in the infield in 2009 after they had one brouhaha televised where drunks and rowdies were having races on top of the port-a potties , fights broke out, basically a real mess all around. So they tried to clean up the infield. Attendance plunged so now they are carting out kegasus.

Last year they had $20 mugs of beer with limitless refills, live music and a bikini contest, attendance soared.So they now have kegasus and who knows, maybe they will have the DRF put out some analysis on the foot races on top of the port a potties, and we can find a long shot winner for the port a pottie races.

Horse racing at the track has basically just gone to shit. I hope animal kingdom wins tomorrow and maybe a triple crown hopeful may garner some attention for this sport.

Seriously WTF? I have idea, if you want to improve the horse racing experience, lower the raping juice percentage instead of trying to market to whatever redneck demographic this marketing campaign is aimed to attract...

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

you should go to apraphoe park in denver

chrisharvard01
    chrisharvard01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 145

nice to see horse racing in players talk.

ryanspeer2001
    Punta Cana '15
    ryanspeer2001's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I could get used to that Kegasus concept.

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points
    Brewers in 7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1303

Id still rather bet suffolk than any california track

mr.inpak
    mr.inpak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

the only positive about suffolk downs is they have a mandatory 2.20 payoff not 2.10 so its good for bridge jumping

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68447

The 7,500 horses are actually worth more than the 16K maidens.

orioles
    orioles's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kegasus = Drunk Frat Boys and Topless Coeds.

BuckeyeT
    BuckeyeT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Suffolk is a donkey track but the track right down the street from me, Thistledown right outside of Cleveland is not much better.

Small fields and shitty purses and the track itself is a complete hole in the wall for now.

Harrahs just bought it last year because the slots finally got approved but until the slots are put in its one of the biggest pig and donkey tracks in the country.

TEXAS MICKEY
    TEXAS MICKEY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4375

You think Suffolk is bad, check out todays 10 race card at Lone Star Park, and they were a premier facility, hosted the Breeders Cup 4 years ago.

4 claiming @ 5000
    1 claiming @ 7500
    1 claiming @ 10,000
    1 claiming @ 12,500
    1 claiming @ 15,000
    1 claiming @ 25,000
    1 feature allowance with purse of 24,000.

This SUCKS, for a Saturday day card.

Stronach stripped this place, then bankrupted it, sold it to the Indians, who thought they could get slots, and that just got denied from being put on the state ballot, for voter approval.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68447

Stronach has a way of ruining everything he touches.

TEXAS MICKEY
    TEXAS MICKEY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4375

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Stronach has a way of ruining everything he touches.
    YEP, you got that shit right.

His Magna Entertainment Group, just raped the profits.
    He changed the tote machines, and the tickets looked like something I could print in my garage. He cheapened everything, from the singing of the Star Spangled Banner to the tractors he was using to groom the track.

The man is a dickhead.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Suffolk once had a million $$ race, the Masscap.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11600

Suffolk still has more dignity than Kegasus.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

hot dog safari rocks, i go every year. i thought the horses were part of the carnival.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3579

Quote Originally Posted by mr.inpak View Post
    the only positive about suffolk downs is they have a mandatory 2.20 payoff not 2.10 so its good for bridge jumping
    thats interesting, ive never heard of a mandatory 2.20 payoff. thats how tracks can lose their ass, im suprised a hole in the wall like suffering downs can afford to risk doing that.

btw has anyone ever been to/heard of will rogers downs in Tulsa, OK? now thats a shit hole for ya! also theres some pretty shitty buggy tracks out there. ive had the luxury to grow up close to one of the shittiest, maywood park outside of chicago

JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

Oaklawn used to be 2.20 they dropped it a couple of years ago to 2.10

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS MICKEY View Post
    You think Suffolk is bad, check out todays 10 race card at Lone Star Park, and they were a premier facility, hosted the Breeders Cup 4 years ago.

4 claiming @ 5000
    1 claiming @ 7500
    1 claiming @ 10,000
    1 claiming @ 12,500
    1 claiming @ 15,000
    1 claiming @ 25,000
    1 feature allowance with purse of 24,000.

This SUCKS, for a Saturday day card.

Stronach stripped this place, then bankrupted it, sold it to the Indians, who thought they could get slots, and that just got denied from being put on the state ballot, for voter approval.
    Wow, I had totally forgotten that Lone Star has hosted the BC. Too bad they got greedy.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Suffolk Racing is definitely on the down swing...but they've got to look at their racing seasons because they go up against tracks in the Northeast that takes the majority of the good horses/trainers/riders.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post

ripe for fixes, do not bet it

cbiscuit
    cbiscuit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1714

Damn! SuffD taking a whipping in this thread... hey, it ain't Saratoga but it ain't purgatory either.

exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 324

Quote Originally Posted by ThaWoj View Post

thats interesting, ive never heard of a mandatory 2.20 payoff. thats how tracks can lose their ass, im suprised a hole in the wall like suffering downs can afford to risk doing that.

btw has anyone ever been to/heard of will rogers downs in Tulsa, OK? now thats a shit hole for ya! also theres some pretty shitty buggy tracks out there. ive had the luxury to grow up close to one of the shittiest, maywood park outside of chicago
    The tracks took most of the risk of bridge jumpers a few years ago by making whoever took the bet pay the bet. And the tracks can refuse to accept show bets almost anytime they want, so it really isn't much of an issue anymore.

steveC3
    steveC3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

go to saratoga baby. i love it there

Punter4Life
    Punter4Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 124

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post

Infield is where one goes to party and pick up some weed.

dugbug15
    dugbug15's Avatar Become A Pro!

i placed third in a ntra sponsered handicapping contest at suffolks downs,last year in october,i believe.i did'nt get my prize money until 8 weeks later.they are on fragile grounds to say the least.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

Suffolk probably would be a great place compared to what I have here in the St. Louis area. The track is horrible here with $3k claiming races all card.

12 Last