Gremlin Lad
    Gremlin Lad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pimlico jockey challenge attracts Napravnik, Sutherland

THURSDAY MAY 19, 2011

Six of the world's top female riders are set to square off in the inaugural $30,000 Pimlico Female Jockey Challenge on Friday's Black-Eyed Susan Day at Pimlico Race Course. The challenge is part of The People's Pink Party, a joint effort between Pimlico and Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the world's largest breast cancer organization, to help raise money and awareness in the fight against the disease.

Headlining the challenge participants is 23-year-old Rosie Napravnik, who this year became just the sixth female to ride in the Kentucky Derby (G1) and had the best finish, crossing the wire ninth aboard Pants on Fire (Jump Start). She will be joined in the lineup by Vicky Baze, Forest Boyce, Chantal Sutherland, Hayley Turner and Emma-Jayne Wilson.

"I've had just a great year so far," Napravnik said. "I've been riding some very quality horses and coming off riding in the Derby is just a high that you can't find anywhere else. I think the challenge is very unique because it's a very select group of elite female riders. It will be very interesting and I think it's going to be very exciting."

Riders will earn points for finishing first (12 points), second (6), third (4) and fourth (3) in four designated races on Friday: the 2ND, 4TH, 6TH and 8TH. The jockey with the most points at the end of the competition will be crowned champion and take home top prize of $10,000. Other prize money is $7,000 for second, $6,000 for third, $4,000 for fourth, $2,000 for fifth and $1,000 for sixth.

Also on Friday's 13-race card is the Lady Legends for the Cure Race II, a pari-mutuel race showcasing eight retired champion female riders in an encore performance from last year. The challenge and Lady Legends participants will take part in an autograph session from 10:30-11:30 a.m. (EDT) on the first floor grandstand trackside and will be featured on a free souvenir poster handed out to the first 3,500 fans

First post at Pimlico on Friday is noon (EDT).

TonyP
    Update your status
    TonyP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

go rosie

dugbug15
    dugbug15's Avatar Become A Pro!

anyone know where hayley turner comes from? i recognize all the other lady jockeys,but,hayley does'nt ring a bell.

TonyP
    Update your status
    TonyP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

Quote Originally Posted by dugbug15 View Post
    anyone know where hayley turner comes from? i recognize all the other lady jockeys,but,hayley does'nt ring a bell.

she rides in the UK

turfnsport
    turfnsport's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Here is some info about the retired jockeys riding in Friday's Lady Legends for a Cure II Race (Race 7)
    http://www.turfnsport.com/racingnews...e-for-charity/

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Quote Originally Posted by dugbug15 View Post

She is very good and might just give Rosie a run for her money