Gremlin Lad
    Gremlin Lad's Avatar Become A Pro!

136th PREAKNESS STAKES NEWS

MONDAY MAY 9, 2011

The eyes of the horse racing world shift from Churchill Downs to Pimlico Race Course as the Triple Crown players set their sights on Baltimore for the 136th running of the Preakness S. (G1) on May 21, 2011

dise-pa
    dise-pa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4269

can't wait for this one theirs money to be had!!!

TonyP
    Update your status
    TonyP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

animal kingdom is a single for me with a few backup tickets and i havent even seen the field except dialed in who has no shot to win the preakness

foryourhandicap
    foryourhandicap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1381

Why does Dialed In have no shot, in your opinion?

TonyP
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by foryourhandicap View Post
    Why does Dialed In have no shot, in your opinion?

hes not that good and if you dont believe that then you can believe he is a tired horse and showed that in his last 2 races and to bring a tired horse right back is not going to produce a winner, unless maybe zito talks to dutrow on how its done

foryourhandicap

Hmmm, well I haven't reviewed the race, but I do know that Dialed In was rolling pretty fast at the end, as expected, but was at a huge disadvantage as the pace was super slow.

Gremlin Lad

Article in NY Post today (5/9/2011) on Dialed In's adventures in the 137th Kentucky Derby......the short version, Dialed In "got pinched" between horses leaving the starting gate and was forced to the back of the field......no place for any starter to be.... However, Dialed In made his usual late run and was passing horses.....actually, his last quarter mile was faster that the winner's last quarter mile.

PACE MAKES THE RACE...and in this race there was none.. .48 seconds to the half-mile is a stroll in the park for these thoroughbreds.

I see Dialed In starting in the 136th PREAKNESS if he is healthy.

Dialed In can pickup $5 Million if he wins the PREAKNESS. That is incentive enough to start in the PREAKNESS.

Besides that, there will be 6 less starters than in the Kentucky Derby.

And the stories start...............

TonyP
    Update your status

Hmmm, well I haven't reviewed the race, but I do know that Dialed In was rolling pretty fast at the end, as expected, but was at a huge disadvantage as the pace was super slow.

he wasnt gaining on the winner or nehro so he was not running fast everhting else was quiting there is a difference.

TonyP
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin Lad View Post
    Article in NY Post today (5/9/2011) on Dialed In's adventures in the 137th Kentucky Derby......the short version, Dialed In "got pinched" between horses leaving the starting gate and was forced to the back of the field......no place for any starter to be.... However, Dialed In made his usual late run and was passing horses.....actually, his last quarter mile was faster that the winner's last quarter mile.

PACE MAKES THE RACE...and in this race there was none.. .48 seconds to the half-mile is a stroll in the park for these thoroughbreds.

I see Dialed In starting in the 136th PREAKNESS if he is healthy.

Dialed In can pickup $5 Million if he wins the PREAKNESS. That is incentive enough to start in the PREAKNESS.

Besides that, there will be 6 less starters than in the Kentucky Derby.

And the stories start...............

lol that was there excuse in the derby what was the excuse in the race before that?

foryourhandicap

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    he wasnt gaining on the winner or nehro so he was not running fast everhting else was quiting there is a difference.
    Dialed In ran the fastest final half mile. Since the horse comes from so far back, and it's not like it was the stand out in the field or anything, it had practically no chance of doing anything with how slow the race was being ran up front.

TonyP
    Update your status

I dont think he did. Everyone has an opinion, mine is I dont think the horse is that good no matter what the press says about him and hope he keeps a big fan base so I can get that much more at the window.

foryourhandicap

"In yesterday's Kentucky Derby, Dialed In ran the fastest final half-mile of any colt in the field. His 4th quarter split was 23.21 seconds (next fastest: Brilliant Speed - 23.48), and his final split was 23.79 (next fastest: Twice the Appeal - 24.01)."

I don't care what anyone says about him. If there is a ton of speed in the Preakness, it has a chance. If they go slow again, it doesn't. It will be interesting to see what type of price he will be.

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

lol that was there excuse in the derby what was the excuse in the race before that?

The race before that he won the Florida Derby by running down Shackleford on a speed favoring track.He may not be a superstar but he isn't a slug either.

mikemca
    Update Status

"In yesterday's Kentucky Derby, Dialed In ran the fastest final half-mile of any colt in the field. His 4th quarter split was 23.21 seconds (next fastest: Brilliant Speed - 23.48), and his final split was 23.79 (next fastest: Twice the Appeal - 24.01)." I don't care what anyone says about him. If there is a ton of speed in the Preakness, it has a chance. If they go slow again, it doesn't. It will be interesting to see what type of price he will be.

The Preakness is loaded with speed.

TonyP
    Update your status

"In yesterday's Kentucky Derby, Dialed In ran the fastest final half-mile of any colt in the field. His 4th quarter split was 23.21 seconds (next fastest: Brilliant Speed - 23.48), and his final split was 23.79 (next fastest: Twice the Appeal - 24.01)."

I don't care what anyone says about him. If there is a ton of speed in the Preakness, it has a chance. If they go slow again, it doesn't. It will be interesting to see what type of price he will be.

i hope you and eveyone else puts their money on him.

mikemca
    Update Status

As for Animal Kingdom he has yet to regress.He comes into the Preakness off 4 straight forward moves and all horses eventually take a step backward when they have that much improvement.I haven't seen the figures for the derby yet but if Dialed In's derby was close to a pair up then he could be sitting on a big forward move.

All that said I don't particularly like either of them

TonyP
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post
    The race before that he won the Florida Derby by running down Shackleford on a speed favoring track.He may not be a superstar but he isn't a slug either.

hes not a slug I just dont think hes that good.

TonyP
    Update your status

As for Animal Kingdom he has yet to regress.He comes into the Preakness off 4 straight forward moves and all horses eventually take a step backward when they have that much improvement.I haven't seen the figures for the derby yet but if Dialed In's derby was close to a pair up then he could be sitting on a big forward move.

All that said I don't particularly like either of them

this is true. Mike if you said you liked him I would put him on my ticket no question about it however I feel the hose is not that good and even with a big forward move hes not good enough for these. Im not saying animal kingdom is the next best thing since white bread either.

mikemca
    Update Status

No doubt the whole crop isn't that good.In Beyer terms there are about 40 different horses in the 93-103 beyer range so all it takes is for one of them to run a new top and they are in the photo.In T-graph terms the 40 horses are in the 2-7 range with a 1 needed to be in the photo.

mikemca
    Update Status

this is true. Mike if you said you liked him I would put him on my ticket no question about it however I feel the hose is not that good and even with a big forward move hes not good enough for these. Im not saying animal kingdom is the next best thing since white bread either.

And you might be right about Dialed In if this is as good as he is going to get.Who knows which 3 yr old is going to develope the most in the next 4 months.One horse that has impressed me just about every time he has run is Mucho Macho Man.If I had to guess now I would say he is the real deal.

And this is just for discussion sake you know I respect your opinion also.

foryourhandicap

i hope you and eveyone else puts their money on him.
    I didn't bet him on derby day, and there is a good chance I won't bet him in the preakness. I'm just not going to throw him out at this point either.

TonyP
    Update your status

And you might be right about Dialed In if this is as good as he is going to get.Who knows which 3 yr old is going to develope the most in the next 4 months.One horse that has impressed me just about every time he has run is Mucho Macho Man.If I had to guess now I would say he is the real deal.

And this is just for discussion sake you know I respect your opinion also.

I cashed with him in the risen star, and I am a big fan of mmm, I do respect your opinion and of course just want to say you are one of the best on here and you are also the best team partner I have ever had we are kicking it across the street.

TonyP
    Update your status

of course some of these in the derby are going to be realy tough sprinters, there are a few in there I realy like, mmm, arch3, coma to the top, santiva toss the apr 16th kee race and the derby this horse is going to pop at a price and I willl have him on top, nehro and a few others.

foryourhandicap

santiva toss the apr 16th kee race and the derby this horse is going to pop at a price and I willl have him on top
    I agree with that. I liked him, along with AK, in the derby and once again had nowhere to run.

ArchX3 is retired from its injury in the derby.

TonyP
    Update your status

I agree with that. I liked him, along with AK, in the derby and once again had nowhere to run.

ArchX3 is retired from its injury in the derby.

hate he got injured but this is racing and it happens, I am a big fan of arch3 and can only hope he pulls through this.

sports28
    sports28's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Animal Kingdom, Dialed In, Nehro, Shackleford, Mucho Macho Man, Astrology, King Congie, Mr. Commons, Norman Asbjornson are the horses so far with some still TBD. Now out of those horses I was wondering what one is best fit for this track?

TonyP
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by sports28 View Post
    Animal Kingdom, Dialed In, Nehro, Shackleford, Mucho Macho Man, Astrology, King Congie, Mr. Commons, Norman Asbjornson are the horses so far with some still TBD. Now out of those horses I was wondering what one is best fit for this track?

will have to see how the race shapes up.

hooiser
    hooiser's Avatar Become A Pro!

the bel/

o yeah what date is this preakness..date on this??????????????? and Belmont stakes

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Two weeks after the Kentucky Derby, so 5/21.

14 horses competing, one open spot left.

Gremlin Lad

TUESDAY MAY 10, 2011

Animal Kingdom headed back to Maryland for Preakness

By Don Agriss, Sports Network - The Sports Network

Read more: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2011/...#ixzz1LwuCjDy2

Gremlin Lad

TUESDAY MAY 10, 2011
    Astrology drills for potential Preakness tilt

Iroquois S. (G3) winner ASTROLOGY (A.P. Indy) worked six furlongs in company in 1:12 2/5 early Monday morning over a fast track at Churchill Downs. The Steve Asmussen trainee is among the 13 new shooters under consideration for the May 21 Preakness S. (G1), which has a maximum field size of 14.

With Carlos Rosas up and working in company with older Grade 3 winner Awesome Act (Awesome Again), Astrology posted fractions of :13, :25, :37, :48 3/5 and 1:00 2/5, and he galloped out seven furlongs in 1:25 2/5 and a mile in 1:39 3/5.

"We liked the work," said Barbara Banke of Stonestreet Stables. "We'll see how he comes out of the work (before making a decision on the Preakness). He looks good."

Co-owned by Stonestreet and George Bolton, Astrology has finished second in both of his starts this season, the March 27 Sunland Derby (G3) and the April 23 Jerome (G2) at Aqueduct last time out.

Bolton has another potential Preakness candidate in multiple Grade 2 hero THE FACTOR (War Front), whom he owns in partnership with Fog City Stable.

mikemca
    Update Status

Quote Originally Posted by sports28 View Post

Nehro is being pointed to Belmont.

Probable for the Preakness are

Animal Kingdom-----Graham Motion------1st - Kentucky Derby
    Astrology------------Steve Asmussen------2nd - Jerome
    Concealed Identity---Dean Gaudet---------1st - Tesio
    Dance City------------Todd Pletcher---------3rd - Arkansas Derby
    Dialed In-----------------Nick Zito------------8th - Kentucky Derby
    Flashpoint--------------Wesley Ward---------4th - Florida Derby
    King Congie-----------Tom Albertrani--------3rd - Blue Grass
    Mr. Commons----------John Shirreffs---------3rd - Santa Anita Derby
    Mucho Macho Man---------Kathy Ritvo----------3rd - Kentucky Derby
    Norman Asbjornson-----Chris Grove----------4th - Wood Memorial
    Prime Cut----------------Neil Howard----------2nd - Lexington
    Santiva----------------Eddie Kenneally--------6th - Kentucky Derby
    Shackleford------------Dale Romans----------4th - Kentucky Derby
    Sway Away--------------Jeff Bonde------------4th - Arkansas Derby

Which makes this a very interesting race.Dance City,Flashpoint,and Shackleford ensure a honest pace.Throw in some very good other fresh horses like Sway Away,Mr Commons,Prime Cut,and Astrology.

Gremlin Lad

TUESDAY MAY 10, 2011

Kentucky Derby fourth SHACKLEFORD (Forestry) walked the shedrow at trainer Dale Romans' barn.

Stopping by to look in on the Kentucky Derby pacesetter was jockey Jesus Castanon, who rode in his first Kentucky Derby on Saturday.

"I had visions of a lot of roses when he opened up at the eighth-pole," Castanon said of Shackleford, who was beaten less than four lengths. "He ran real big for me."

"If he (Shackleford) is doing good, we will go (to Baltimore)," Romans said.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Preakness site shows Midnight Interlude for final spot. http://www.preakness.com/race-info But some that are listed now could still be replaced by others.

In case the Preakness overfills, the criteria determining eligibility is as follows: first seven starters, graded earnings; next four starters, non-restricted stakes earnings; last three starters, total earnings. Entries for the 1 3/16-mile race will be drawn May 18 under the traditional pill-pull method. http://www.drf.com/news/preakness-an...o-tough-figure
    Hard to believe that Animal Kingdom, so shortly after being on top of the world, was riding in a van back home for 11 to 12 hours (see link above).
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 05-10-11 at 02:18 PM.

TonyP
    Update your status

watchmaker has ak at 2-1 ml for preakness

12 Last