wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

ml vs odds

who sets ml odds at tracks. it seems a lot of them are pretty close to what it goes off at, but there are a few tracks that the ml misses quite a bit at what final odds go. I know ml are not experts but just what they expect their odds to be at post time, but it seems when i play turf paradise, that guy is way off. its not usual to see 10-1 ml going off at 2-1. Some tracks seem to be pretty good like aquaduct. I do like looking at overlays and i hate it when i bet at pick 4 and get to final leg and there is a 14-1 i left off going at 9-5 because i start questiong myself saying what the hell did i miss?

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68545

Quote Originally Posted by wtt0315 View Post
    who sets ml odds at tracks. it seems a lot of them are pretty close to what it goes off at, but there are a few tracks that the ml misses quite a bit at what final odds go. I know ml are not experts but just what they expect their odds to be at post time, but it seems when i play turf paradise, that guy is way off. its not usual to see 10-1 ml going off at 2-1. Some tracks seem to be pretty good like aquaduct. I do like looking at overlays and i hate it when i bet at pick 4 and get to final leg and there is a 14-1 i left off going at 9-5 because i start questiong myself saying what the hell did i miss?
    Each track employs a person that sets the ML.This person in some cases is also the in house handicapper.That in house stuff started in the late 70s or 80s I think.I know it was not around in the early mid 70s at least not in Md.,Del.,Monmouth,etc. Can not speak for N.Y.
    For instance Md. employed Clem Florio and he did this for many years. He was also the in house guy for awhile but when that got competitive , others took his place but he stayed on as the ML guy.
    If you ever have the chance to get to know any racing form writer or in house guy ask him/her if they would take you up to see the press box during the races on a quiet Wed. or Thurs. It is a very eye opening experience and one that you would very much enjoy.You will see first hand how the press box works from the guy calling the charts to the columnist for that track, etc. Probably also see the crew that works the photo finishes although they are usually in a different room. Also the view from way above watching a race is surreal.
    Maybe ask your trainer if their is any way he could help. It isn't that big a deal for someone that sees it all the time but knowing from your posts how much you like the owning experience, I am sure you would love it.
    P.S. Hope your horse is doing well!

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanks str for the answer. Yeah turblent descent has been fantastic for me, i am looking for a second horse now, going invest her profits into one here in s. florida.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68545

Quote Originally Posted by wtt0315 View Post
    thanks str for the answer. Yeah turblent descent has been fantastic for me, i am looking for a second horse now, going invest her profits into one here in s. florida.
    Just go slow and easy so if one or two horses fall apart you can still stay in the game.
    If you ever have a question that I can help with do not hesitate to ask.
    Good Luck!