biff
    dead
    biff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Did i get the right win amount?

bet 10 bucks on a horse that was 6/1. I got $29 for the win. I though 6/1 is +600 so shouldnt i have gotten $60?

I could not post in the "newbie" forum with this question as I have over 100 posts. Not new to gambling but I do no bet horses at all and really have no interest to start. I just tailed a user here today.

Thank you.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

Go to DRF.com and look under results,find your track and race and see what the horse paid.
    Sounds like your horse was 6-1 morning line or at some point but paid 5.80.
    I guess.

biff
    dead

I see. So I am wrong in thinking if you bet a horse 6/1 for 10 bucks you do not win 60 bucks? i understand what you are saying with the possible line change.

Thanks.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

You have to check the final odds. At 6-1, you should get at least $70 back for your $10 bet, for a profit of $60.

However, at 6-1, a horse will pay anywhere from $14.00 to $15.80, so you can win varying amounts on a 6-1 shot depending where the final odds land.

alienware
    alienware's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by biff View Post
    bet 10 bucks on a horse that was 6/1. I got $29 for the win. I though 6/1 is +600 so shouldnt i have gotten $60? I could not post in the "newbie" forum with this question as I have over 100 posts. Not new to gambling but I do no bet horses at all and really have no interest to start. I just tailed a user here today. Thank you.
    That ticket should of paid $60. If it was a W/P ticket meaning win or place on the horse it would have only paid half. My father owns alot of horses that at belmont. I always goto OTB and bet horses as well. I grew up loving this sport. If you have any other ?'s PM me. Wish I helped you a little bit

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

What race ? what horse?

biff
    dead

Sorry guys for the late reply just I am busy during the day. Here is what I bet on:

dubai world cup
    race:7
    Rewilding to win straight up

Thanks.

Iwinwithsports
    Iwinwithsports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 350

He was 5-2 not 6-1.
    It is final odds not morning line..the odds change depending on how much money is put on the horse
    Points Awarded:

biff gave Iwinwithsports 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Iwinwithsports

So yup you got the right pay

biff
    dead

ok thanks. One question though, I bet him I would say 1 hour before post time and he was 6/1 when i placed my bet. So you are saying in horse racing if you place a bet those odds are not locked in the moment you place said bet?

TonyP
    Update your status
    TonyP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

Quote Originally Posted by biff View Post
    ok thanks. One question though, I bet him I would say 1 hour before post time and he was 6/1 when i placed my bet. So you are saying in horse racing if you place a bet those odds are not locked in the moment you place said bet?

no you get what ever the final odds are.

biff
    dead

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post

no you get what ever the final odds are.
    Thanks. I will send 2pts when it lets me.

No offence to any who likes horse racing but this just makes me dislike this even more. I have a track about 15 minutes away from me where I can of course bet legally but never once visited. The sport has so many things i dislike. First you got how it is over so quick and now you can not lock in a line. I have also tailed people on the really big horsing events and lost every single bet minus the user who I tailed yesterday. This might also be why i dislike this sport.

You people might think it is weird I did not know about this. I guess it would not help my case any when I say I am over 50 and still did not know this... so if any were to try and change my mind about this sport (i know none care) it would be a lost cause.

Thanks again.

Iwinwithsports

That too bad, but,.u get used to it...when u get good at looking at program u can usually tell what odds will be..that is also why u see lots of late money coming on horses...but it's your money...actually I don't think it's weird I have lots of friends who know 0 about horses....good luck with what-ever you do

biff
    dead

Quote Originally Posted by Iwinwithsports View Post
    That too bad, but,.u get used to it...when u get good at looking at program u can usually tell what odds will be..that is also why u see lots of late money coming on horses...but it's your money...actually I don't think it's weird I have lots of friends who know 0 about horses....good luck with what-ever you do
    I can see why others like this sport. First it is legal and you can get action at all times of the day. Also it seems you can win a lot betting a very small amount. I am not going to lie, I am confused to all heck about all things horse racing. Either I am slow or this is one complicated sport. Not only do you need to learn how to bet it, you also need to know about horses. I wonder if I took the time to learn how to bet it maybe I would change my mind.

Thanks and good luck to you as well.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

You have to remember the odds can move the other way as well. A horse has an opening line of 6/1 but by post time climbs to 9/1, nice little bonus when it hits. Capping horses can be a lot of work and everyone approaches it differently, but the rewards can be huge. 25+/1 horses horses hit everyday. Just like any other form of gambling, money mgmt is crucial and in horse betting how you structure your bet is important as well.

Years ago when I started betting horses I read a couple books on how to cap that helped me learn some of the basics

"Betting Thoroughbreds" by Steven Davidowitz
    "Picking Winners" by Andrew Beyer

I'm sure there are plenty of others, but I learned quite a bit from these.
    Good luck to you!

Mistongo
    4/6 pick 6 expert
    Mistongo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

If you like betting to win you can do it in an exchange to get the price locked. Betfair is obv the best but betmaker has much better odds than tote betting 99% of the time and most american tracks too.